Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fluenz for preschoolers - are you meant to have two doses?

(8 Posts)
mejon Thu 05-Dec-13 16:48:28

Bumping this as DD2 had her 2nd dose last Friday. I incidentally had a review with the asthma nurse at my GP surgery today and she expressed surprise that DD had been given a 2nd dose and queried whether she has any underlying medical conditions (she doesn't). None the wiser - have to say the nurse that administered the vaccine/spray didn't fill me with much confidence and I think a lot more training needs to be done as there seems to be contradictory advice all over the place.

Bubbles1066 Sat 23-Nov-13 16:34:33

My son had his first dose on Tuesday and they said as it's his first he has to come back in a month for a second dose. So it does appear they need 2 doses. Also in respect to the asthma, the nurse said they only shouldn't have the nasal spray if they are actively wheezing at the time, it's fine for children with controlled asthma. DS is find BTW, no reaction to the spray.

frowner Fri 08-Nov-13 12:51:36

Twinkletoes77 did you find out if two doses were required. I took my daughter for the first dose today and was told a booster is not required however the letter I received implies otherwise. Many thanks.

Bubbles1066 Sat 19-Oct-13 21:29:06

It's not recommended for children with servere asthma. What's servere asthma appears to be open to interpretation. My son's is mild so they said it should be OK as he's never had an asthma attack, he's just prone to post viral wheeze.

bumbleymummy Thu 17-Oct-13 07:15:53

Contraindications here

bumbleymummy Thu 17-Oct-13 07:13:54

I thought it wasn't recommended for children with asthma.

Bubbles1066 Wed 16-Oct-13 20:07:50

My DS hasn't had it yet but when I made the appointment the receptionist said as he has asthma he would need 2 doses. Not sure why though.

Twinkletoes77 Mon 14-Oct-13 16:45:24

My 3 yr old had his yesterday. Reading the leaflet now. It says for children if this is their first flu vaccination they should have another dose in 4 weeks time. No one said anything to at GP surgery. Is this the case?

I will call the doc but it will take years to get an answer I suspect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now