Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

FLUENZ Side Efects

(30 Posts)
surfers Mon 07-Oct-13 20:02:01

My 4 year old daughter was offered the winter flu vaccination as she has severe asthma. I decided to go for it as she had the injection last year with no side effects. When I arrived at the Drs for the appointment they said she would have the FLUENZ nasal spray which has 4 live viruses in it. They assured me it was the right thing to do. I felt really uncomfotable about it as my daughter has ben hospitalised from asthma brought on by flu symptoms. They said I should allow it.They sprayed it up both of my daughters nostrils and sent us on our way. Today ( 2 days after ) her nose was streaming, the school phoned. In a matter of an hour she deteriorated , lethargic, eyes and nose streaming 40 degree temperature, headache, no appetite, cough, aches and pains etc. She is really very ill this evening and so hot she is hallucinating. Calpol has not bought her temperature down at all. I feel dreadful for allowing her to have Fluenz. I called the Dr and they denied it had anything to do with Fluenz. Has anyone else's child had flu symptoms?

OldDogNewTricks Sat 07-Dec-13 19:20:18

Hi,

I have a post in 'childrens health' about my DD's reaction to Fluenz. I don't know how to link (I am in hospital with DD2 who is 9 months old & is wheezing with the same symptoms as DD1) but it is the only other post I have under this username if you want to search for it.

I have reported DD1's reaction though the yellow card scheme & will also be reporting her baby sisters illness as I think it has been transmitted from DD1. I will now try abs figure out how to link on my phone!

RubyrooUK Thu 28-Nov-13 20:26:24

Someone asked upthread if anyone had been fine after the vaccine. My child who is 3 and does not have asthma has been absolutely fine. No noticeable side effects whatsoever.

OwlMother Thu 28-Nov-13 19:49:13

Agree with previous posts. My son (13) has severe asthma and we were told that because of this he had to have the jab.

tabitha8 Thu 28-Nov-13 19:46:04

Odd that the OP's child has severe asthma and was told that Fluenz was the correct approach.

bumbleymummy Thu 28-Nov-13 19:31:50

Thanks Tab smile

tabitha8 Thu 28-Nov-13 18:22:47

The NHS website says Fluenz is ok for children with mild or moderate asthma, but not for those with severe asthma.

bumbleymummy Wed 27-Nov-13 21:56:11

Tigger, i thought it wasn't recommended for children with asthma.

gimcrack Tue 26-Nov-13 19:13:05

My two year old had it yesterday and he's absolutely fine.

Tigger13 Fri 25-Oct-13 15:54:29

Hi. I just thought I would update. I felt awful taking my two eldest to have this new vaccine even though I actually had to argue that my boys with asthma should have it rather than injection due to there fear of needles. They had it last Friday evening and a week later they have been fine no symptoms etc. they both said they had a headache Sunday afternoon (48hrs later) but didn't need calopol and after a busy sporty weekend it could have been tiredness. I have a younger son who doesn't have asthma and wil now be asking if he can have it. Much easier than injection for my children and glad I made decision to do it, even though I was nervous about it. Hth

impecuniousmarmoset Sun 20-Oct-13 20:51:30

Ours both had theirs on Thursday. No reaction at all - not a sausage! - so far. I had my flu jab last week and other than an achey arm, fine too.
All vaccines have side effects, but as surfers says it is worth it. Having three asthmatics and one pregnant person in the family it'd take a pretty bad reaction to put me off! When I had flu I had a fever of 40 degrees for over 10 days and could barely move; I've never been so ill, and I have no chest issues. There's a good reason for flu vaccines!

JourneyToThePlacentaOfTheEarth Sun 20-Oct-13 20:43:15

Meant 'not snotty yet', not 'sorry yet' soz!

JourneyToThePlacentaOfTheEarth Sun 20-Oct-13 20:42:07

Dd aged 2.5 had the nasal spray on Friday. Now 2 days later I think she's lethargic but not sorry yet. I'll pop back tomorrow with another update. Really glad to hear your little one is feeling better op

surfers Sun 20-Oct-13 20:17:40

Hi There I posted the original message on this thread. To reasure you my daughter is now completely fine. It was bad side effects but looking back Im glad to have got it done. Although she was very poorly she is fine now , i'm relieved to think she is now protected against the flu. I was told I would be contacted if she needs the second dose after 4 weeks. Also to note her severe asthma was thankfully NOT made worse by any of the side effects. Id be interested to hear if anyone else child had:
1. Streaming eyes
2. Streaming nose
3. Very High Temp
4. Lethargy
6. Vomiting

mousmous Fri 18-Oct-13 12:46:33

you can report the side effects to the mhra yellow card scheme

CatherinaJTV Fri 18-Oct-13 12:41:17

Mine got the flu shot (not Fluenz) at the pharmacy (he's 12, which I think is the lowest age they do it) - the only side effect was the parking ticket that DH got...

nancerama Fri 18-Oct-13 12:40:52

DS had the spray on Tuesday afternoon. He started to feel rubbish yesterday afternoon.

Given the time of year though, I am 50:50 as to whether the vaccine has caused this or whether he picked something up in the waiting room (which was of course filled with ill people).

He's never had a reaction to any other vaccination, but this was the first one administered in the surgery. Until now they have all been done at home as he was part of a control group for a clinical trial.

PatoBanton Fri 18-Oct-13 12:19:43

I don't think I will be getting my children vaccinated this year after reading this, I hope your children are feeling a bit better now flowers

impty Fri 18-Oct-13 12:16:51

Dd had it on Saturday, no problems at all. Nothing. She's 12.

Tigger13 Fri 18-Oct-13 12:12:41

How soon after vaccination did symptoms start?

Tigger13 Fri 18-Oct-13 12:12:02

Has anyone had it without problems? I am pro vacine where it's proven ok

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 18-Oct-13 11:29:04

Oh god. I had a thread a few weeks ago about deciding whether to have it or not. I'm glad I didn't now that sounds horrific sad I hope she's ok op

nancerama Fri 18-Oct-13 11:24:53

Thanks Catherina. I've filled in the yellow card report.

I should add that I am pro-vaccination. DS has a number of friends with severe health issues, and DH isn't in the best of health. I still feel that having DS a bit under the weather for a few days is easier to deal with than the worry of one of his friends being hospitalised or worse.

CatherinaJTV Fri 18-Oct-13 10:43:00

Please make sure to report all these adverse events. They may or may not have been caused by the Fluenz, but nobody would have a chance to follow this up if it is not reported.

http://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

nancerama Fri 18-Oct-13 09:15:34

DS had his Fluenz vaccinations on Tuesday. He had a cold last week and I thought it was on its way out.

Ever since the vaccine he has had a streaming nose, a hacking cough, been lethargic and off his food. He's usually bomb proof - this is the first time anything has slowed him down hmm

Tigger13 Thu 17-Oct-13 23:10:16

Hi. ,y 2sons are due to have the nasal vaccine tomorrow. And reading comments I am now terrified that have made wrong decision. How are you children now.. ? Were they poorly for long.
Both my boys have asthma but well controlled. Having had flu last year I can see benefits but wondering if these side effects outweighs the risks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now