Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

FLUENZ Side Efects

(30 Posts)
surfers Mon 07-Oct-13 20:02:01

My 4 year old daughter was offered the winter flu vaccination as she has severe asthma. I decided to go for it as she had the injection last year with no side effects. When I arrived at the Drs for the appointment they said she would have the FLUENZ nasal spray which has 4 live viruses in it. They assured me it was the right thing to do. I felt really uncomfotable about it as my daughter has ben hospitalised from asthma brought on by flu symptoms. They said I should allow it.They sprayed it up both of my daughters nostrils and sent us on our way. Today ( 2 days after ) her nose was streaming, the school phoned. In a matter of an hour she deteriorated , lethargic, eyes and nose streaming 40 degree temperature, headache, no appetite, cough, aches and pains etc. She is really very ill this evening and so hot she is hallucinating. Calpol has not bought her temperature down at all. I feel dreadful for allowing her to have Fluenz. I called the Dr and they denied it had anything to do with Fluenz. Has anyone else's child had flu symptoms?

bumbleymummy Thu 28-Nov-13 19:31:50

Thanks Tab smile

tabitha8 Thu 28-Nov-13 19:46:04

Odd that the OP's child has severe asthma and was told that Fluenz was the correct approach.

OwlMother Thu 28-Nov-13 19:49:13

Agree with previous posts. My son (13) has severe asthma and we were told that because of this he had to have the jab.

RubyrooUK Thu 28-Nov-13 20:26:24

Someone asked upthread if anyone had been fine after the vaccine. My child who is 3 and does not have asthma has been absolutely fine. No noticeable side effects whatsoever.

OldDogNewTricks Sat 07-Dec-13 19:20:18

Hi,

I have a post in 'childrens health' about my DD's reaction to Fluenz. I don't know how to link (I am in hospital with DD2 who is 9 months old & is wheezing with the same symptoms as DD1) but it is the only other post I have under this username if you want to search for it.

I have reported DD1's reaction though the yellow card scheme & will also be reporting her baby sisters illness as I think it has been transmitted from DD1. I will now try abs figure out how to link on my phone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now