Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

chicken pox vaccine. where can I get in London?? please recommend a private clinic

(44 Posts)
bumbleandbumble Mon 07-Oct-13 14:43:03

says it all really. a quick google suggested some place in south London. I am in the north so prefer north or central.

can anyone tell me where and how much it cost?

David19 Sun 20-Jul-14 16:45:20

@hazeyjane and @imip , which specific GP surgeries are you referring to, please? I had my daughter vaccinated at Clarion Health in Bath; I asked a couple of local GPs but they weren't interested and referred me to the "travel" clinic.

David19 Sun 20-Jul-14 16:30:03

I'm compiling a list of clinics that take care of child Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccinations at www.varicella.uk . Thanks; I've added all the places mentioned on this thread onto the list. Please feel free to mail to info@varicella.uk if you have any more to add, or any information about or reviews of the service you received.

bumbleandbumble Mon 12-May-14 21:35:21

I haven't been on MN for ages…I didn't realise this was a debate.
My daughter had two jabs, and it is because it was recommended to me by her derma/paed because of her excema.

My older daughter has not had the jab and now its going around school so we will see what happens. if she doesn't get it this time I may give her the jab too. Even for healthy children it can be horrendous, mine was and I have permanent scars even on my face.

slowcomputer Sat 12-Apr-14 22:23:45

By the time these kids are in their teens, there will be another 10+ years of data from the USA so we will know more about the long lasting nature of the immunity, or not. I'm assuming that anyone who is savvy enough to bother to get their kids vaccinated will remember to check their immunity in ten years or so.

We had dd done in her early teens after she somehow escaped developing it. She's aware she will probably need a booster in 10 years (and I will remind her!)

gabrielaromt Fri 11-Apr-14 12:45:52

My motto is "better safe then sorry"! This disease can leave some serious scars ...
My Ds had it when he was 2, with our GP from 127 Harley Street. He is always happy to go there, he loves playing piano in the main reception before the appointment smile
And he didn't even notice when he had the jab, being busy with some toys.

There have been deaths in Ireland and the Netherlands as a result of measles epidemics in recent years. One death that could have been avoided is one too many.

LaVolcan Thu 13-Mar-14 09:43:12

after the MMR debacle, which resulted in many avoidable outbreaks and deaths.

outbreaks - maybe. Deaths? One adult, who was believed to have been vaccinated.

One would wonder then why people bother having their children vaccinated for rotavirus - a truly unpleasant and widespread illness but with very few deaths in the UK. Chickenpox is also unpleasant and painful, and can lead to death and permanent disfigurement and disability. It is also my understanding that every time a vaccinated child comes into contact with someone infected with chickenpox it acts as a booster.

FWIW I have also had DD immunised against meningitis B at a private clinic to minimise further the risks to her.

I don't think though that chickenpox or meningitis B will be added to the childhood vacine schedule anytime soon though - not because of vaccine risks but purely down to the cost benefit analyses.

It is very sad to see that the immunisation scaremongerers are still with us after the MMR debacle, which resulted in many avoidable outbreaks and deaths.

Kaffiene Mon 10-Mar-14 18:08:00

DD had 2 jabs around 2 years old as part of the Spanish vaccination program. She is now 6 and has been around CP several times now (not on purpose!) and touch wood has been fine.

SapphireMoon Mon 10-Mar-14 18:03:43

My ds [age 4] had 1x vaccine at a travel clinic when he was nearly 3. He has been exposed to chickenpox a number of times since and so far not got it. Well I don't think so any way. There was one occasion where he had what looked like a cold sore on his chin and it was only after it had gone that I wondered if a rogue chickenpox spot as going round Nursery.
Anyway, going round his Reception class now. If he doesn't get it, will his immunity be being strengthened each time he is exposed to the natural disease? Just curious. May need to make decision about second jab.

bumbleymummy Thu 06-Mar-14 16:54:30

hazey, I'm sure that if your DS is under the care of a paediatrician and it was recommended for him then having boosters in the future is the least of your worries. My point was mainly directed at people who are thinking about getting it for their otherwise healthy children. I think there is a lot more to think about than just what it means for them short term.

hazeyjane Wed 05-Mar-14 22:01:23

Bumbly - I can only speak for our own circumstances, which is that ds had the vaccine on the nhs under recommendation from his paeds, we were concerned about long term immunity, and were told to check his immunity in 10 years, and that if he did contract chicken pox before then it should be a mild case, and so hopefully not so dangerous for him. Unfortunately his life is a series of medical appointments, so in our case the chances of us forgetting are slim.

I guess it will be interesting to see what happens in countries like Australia and the USA where the vaccine is standard, in the next few years, to see what effect a population wide vaccine programme would have.

bumbleymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 21:51:15

Toddle, I've just checked and it doesn't actually seem to be a part of the Irish schedule after all. confused My cousin in Dublin was offered it for her DS but perhaps it was just a part of a trial? She was definitely under the impression that it was part of the schedule though. I'm wondering if it was the MMRV or just the CP vaccine alongside the MMR that she was offered. I must ask her.

I feel slightly better now. Perhaps this means that it is a bit further off in the UK. I know there were reservations about trying to introduce the MMRV in the UK while there was still some unrest about the MMR but when she told me that she had been offered it in Ireland I thought it must be getting more consideration.

ToddleWaddle Wed 05-Mar-14 21:28:13

Bumbleymumey when was the vaccine introduced in Ireland?

bumbleymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 21:23:15

Yes, that's all well and good but what if the immunity wanes in under 10 years and you don't know about it? Maybe not such a problem if they catch it before they are teenagers but what about when they are older? What happens if your immunity has waned without you knowing and you get pregnant? Will you remember to have your immunity tested? What happens if you're still immune at 10 years? How often do you check then? I just think it is worth thinking about the long term implications.

LaVolcan Wed 05-Mar-14 21:20:03

Re tetanus - I was told that even if you travel you no longer need the 10 year booster.

hazeyjane Wed 05-Mar-14 21:06:46

yes.

hence why they now have the 2 jabs initially and why (hopefully) hcp's recommend that immunity is checked around 10 years after the initial jab.

bumbleymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 20:43:57

The situation in Japan is because the vaccine rate is very low meaning that wild CP is still circulating in the community and 'boosting' people's immunity. The US had to introduce a booster in 2006 because they found that when there is high vaccination coverage, there is less circulating wild CP, less opportunity for natural boosters and therefore immunity from the vaccine wanes.

At the moment, the UK is similar to Japan but, as I mentioned in my earlier post, we seem to be moving towards the vaccine being introduced as part of the UK schedule. (they are using the MMRV vaccine in Ireland) If this happens then we will be in the same situation as the US with less circulating CP and therefore a need for boosters.

hazeyjane Wed 05-Mar-14 20:27:09

Well, ds's paed said that in Japan, adults who were vaccinated 20 years ago still had immunity, but that most studies had only run for 10 years, so best to get his immunity checked when he hits 13.

bumbleymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 19:56:12

How often should they check their immunity hazey?

hazeyjane Wed 05-Mar-14 19:20:30

re tetanus - unless you travel abroad, (discussed this with nurse yesterday!)

no they don't know, it could be that no booster is needed which is why it should be recommended to have immunity checked, when vaccine is originally given.

bumbleymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 19:16:59

Actually, new advice on tetanus is that it is 5 vaccines for life rather than boosters every 10 years. Also, you don't need to get the flu jab. Most people don't. Complications from CP in adulthood are more likely and more unpleasant. I would be particularly worried about a daughter's immunity when she was pregnant. No one really knows how often boosters are needed yet.

There are other vaccines that require boosters also - tetanus, diptheria every ten years and flu annually to name but a few.

DD had two injections, ~ four weeks apart, when she was two.

hazeyjane Wed 05-Mar-14 18:41:03

...possibly.

which is why we were told to have ds's immunity checked when older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now