Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Refusing to vaccinate your child

(573 Posts)
Organic100 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:34:19

For a while now I have been researching the dangers of vaccines and all the cases of children dying or being made sick after having a vaccine, all of which is not reported in mainstream media. How do you feel about vaccines? I've heard that the medical profession encourages pregnant women to get the flu vaccine, and that babies are vaccinated at birth. I've also researched stories where parents have been reported to social services by a spiteful doctor or nurse, simply for refusing their child a vaccine. It seems parents are losing their rights. What do you think?

Stevie77 Thu 15-Aug-13 23:21:47

When you say researching, do you mean proper research in scientific sources such as Pubmed or Daily-Mail style research?

My opinion is that thanks to vaccines children and adults in this and other countries that mass-immunise, no longer die or become severly disabled as a result of catching these illnesses.

Also, a non immunised person is not only a social parasite, enjoying the benefits of mass-immunisation without participating, but is also endangering those in society who are either in the small minority for which vaccines do not work, those with weak immune systems, chronically ill people and pregnant women.

I think my opinion is pretty clear.

afrikat Thu 15-Aug-13 23:27:15

I'm with stevie77. You only have to look at the recent measles epidemic to see what happens when parents decide not to get their children vaccinated - a disease makes a strong comeback, many die and those in the population who can't be vaccinated for some reason are at more risk

If you spend enough time surfing around on the Internet you will find plenty of conspiracy theories against pretty much everything - if you are concerned make sure you are reading peer reviewed, published articles if you are going to make a decision with potentially fatal consequences..

Organic100 Thu 15-Aug-13 23:32:15

Do you seriously believe the nonsense that comes out of the daily mail? And have you done any research on all the children who have died right after having a vaccine? Of course you haven't. You just believe anything that comes out of mainstream media.

WinkyWinkola Thu 15-Aug-13 23:34:49

Just wondering how many did die from the measles outbreak in Wales. Purely for accuracy's sake.

Piddlepuddle Thu 15-Aug-13 23:35:45

I think it's lovely sitting here in a developed country discussing how maybe vaccines aren't that great, safe in the knowledge most killer diseases have been eradicated (through vaccination!) and that the vast majority of people will take the opportunity to vaccinate, thereby giving those children who are not vaccinated herd immunity. Why not take a trip to a less developed country and see how you'd feel about not vaccinating?

Organic100 Thu 15-Aug-13 23:50:42

Then I challenge anyone to provide a shred of evidence that shows vaccines prevent disease. It's no good quoting "studied statistics" because I too can quote studies that claim certain vaccinated countries had a higher case of disease than unvaccinated countries.

If these medical nut jobs want to inject my children with a toxic chemical which has killed thousands of children (which isn't reported in mainstream media), then their evidence that vaccines do more good than harm needs to be spectacular. Don't be a sheep and believe whatever comes out of mainstream media. Mainstream media is a propaganda machine, designed to feed the gullible sheep with bull crap.

MrsGSR Fri 16-Aug-13 00:05:01

Can you post links to these studies, and to the reports of thousands of children dying after vaccinations please.

rootypig Fri 16-Aug-13 00:09:46

I'd say the virtual eradication of serious infectious disease in this country is pretty spectacular.

Goldmandra Fri 16-Aug-13 00:11:09

So we shouldn't believe peer reviewed research or the evidence of our own experience of living in a country where there is no Polio, very few Measles cases, etc and believe you instead? hmm

How do you explain the eradication of Polio from Britain then if it is not due to the vaccination programme?

Lovemyprincess4eva Fri 16-Aug-13 00:14:40

I'm sorry organic but why did you ask what people's opinion was if you are going to say they are wrong and try and convince them of your way of thinking??

I believe that vaccines are a fantastic and much needed medical tool.

My mum was talked out of giving me my vaccines when I was a baby by my grandparents ad they said that it was toxins and I didnt need them and I was seriously ill with whopping cough and hospitalised 5 times!! It is something that my mum really regrets and my DSis was vaccinated as soon as possible and I will do the same with my baby as I would not want her to go through what I did because people are scared of vaccines.

Lovemyprincess4eva Fri 16-Aug-13 00:16:03

Sorry for spelling mistakes, my phone is auto correcting everything.

It think living here is proof enough. We have eradicated polio and smallpox, for example. Whooping cough rates are smaller. Why? Vaccinations.

MrsGSR Fri 16-Aug-13 00:32:29

I can't link on my phone but I've found a study that looked at cases of Hib meningitis in children in Helsinki.

In 1986 they began vaccinating 3-6 month olds. That year 30 0-4 year olds died due to Hib meningitis, the number of deaths had been rising throughout the 80s. In 1991, 5 years after the vaccine was introduced, there was not a single death. The study concluded that the vaccination was the cause as there was no other difference in care between the deaths rising in the early 80s, and then falling after 1986.

I haven't yet found any examples of a case where more children were killed by the vaccine than would have died add a result of the disease. I'm very interested to read anything you could link to OP, I'm due in January and would like to make an informed decision about vaccinations.

syl1985 Fri 16-Aug-13 02:36:44

Vaccines and vaccines are 2 different things.

Most vaccines are good to take and to let your child have it. With some vaccines there is some doubt about if it's good to take or not.
Or if it's useful to have or to let your child have it.

Vaccines in general:
If you look back in time to when there were no vaccines. A lot of children became ill and died from diseases we no longer have to fear.

They say that some children do respond badly on a vaccine. This might be true, but difficult to prove as you can't turn back time and see what would have happened if that vaccine wasn't given to the child.

But if you look at how children are doing health wise these days and back in those days in which they weren't given vaccines.
Things are better for them now.

Some say that illnesses like ADHD and some others are caused by vaccines. Others say it's caused by all the crap they put these days in our food.

Something else that is good to be careful with, but is given very quickly is:
Antibiotics!

Because they are being given to often en to quickly we are now dealing with bacteria like:
MRSA

And that's something that is proven! Taking to quickly and to much antibiotics will make a bacteria resident to the antibiotics. That's why MRSA is so difficult to treat and we see more outbreaks of them. It's because the doctors give them to quickly.
Antibiotics will also have a negative influence on your bodies immune system. If you need them take them.
But doctors shouldn't give them as quick as they do these days.

Sleepthief Fri 16-Aug-13 07:33:28

I'm with Stevie and others. I also think your reference to 'medical nutjobs' is somewhat ironic... hmm

roweeena Fri 16-Aug-13 07:36:53

Oh dear OP I really hope my child is not in the same classroom as yours.

My grandma had two babies who died from diphtheria - try telling her that vaccines are dangerous.

People with your views are dangerous

rallytog1 Fri 16-Aug-13 07:40:02

organic maybe you should spend some time in a developing country where childhood immunisations aren't widely carried out. Then try to tell us that vaccinations don't prevent disease (you won't be able to).

Dackyduddles Fri 16-Aug-13 07:40:35

Sniff sniff sniff....

Rather snippy postings op. Why so energetic for a fight?

CaptainJamesTKirk Fri 16-Aug-13 07:43:32

"then I challenge anyone to find a shred of evidence that vaccines prevent disease"

Seriously?!?! PMSL!

Suzieismyname Fri 16-Aug-13 07:48:19

Another one with Stevie...
My children are vaccinated to the hilt and I'm proud of that. Anyone who rejects modern medicine is crazy imo.
There's an interesting article in the current New Scientist about vaccines. Read that!

Organic100 Fri 16-Aug-13 09:25:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

PukousMucous Fri 16-Aug-13 09:35:42

Wow OP, that is really spiteful. If you're stating as fact that vaccines are fatal then suggesting people deserve that fate if it happens to them.

I'd be interested, genuinely, to see the information about how vaccines kill children.

Organic100 Fri 16-Aug-13 09:43:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Gooseysgirl Fri 16-Aug-13 09:47:46

Here you go OP biscuit and that is all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now