Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR to cover mumps after single vaccines. 1x dose mumps received.

(10 Posts)
Crumbledwalnuts Sat 27-Jul-13 19:17:57

Who are you? I've never spoken to you about vaccines. Are you stalking me?

Boosiehs Sat 27-Jul-13 19:12:56

Oh look Crumbled walnuts spouting scare stories about vaccines again.

Crumbledwalnuts Sat 27-Jul-13 19:10:55

Hard to say about the risks lessening as the risks aren't really assessed properly anyway. (eg your nurse). I have read about regression with MMR in an older child (not accepted by the authorities as caused by MMR of course). I can't find anything about its effectiveness but I understand its the same as the one used in the MMR so should be the same level of effectiveness? Highest risk is supposed to be 16-24 so I would be thinking about it then (parent not doctor here).

theynevershutup Sat 27-Jul-13 17:39:19

I'm in the same situation as you as my DS aged 8 has had 2 x single measles, 2 x rubella and only 1 x mumps. I also don't know what to do, but thought I would wait till he is a bit older then give him MMR. My DD aged 5 hasn't had any mumps but has had 2 x measles and 1 x rubella. Will need to give her MMR at some point too as doesn't look like single mumps going to be available an time soon.

Sorry, no advice but would be interested to hear what others have done in same situation.

FadedSapphire Sat 27-Jul-13 17:36:50

It was Jeryll Lynne [sp?] single mumps vaccine.
Aren't risks less with vaccine as a child gets older? Nurse very dismissive of any concerns I had about a triple vaccine.

Crumbledwalnuts Sat 27-Jul-13 16:20:11

Caterina is not a doctor, same as me. smile

For reassurance - bear in mind that with MMR he'll be having two unnecessary vaccines at the same time, with the attendant risks.

Mumps is more problematic later on. The biggest mumps problems at the moment are in student populations. He has already had one vaccine. Have you checked the effectiveness of the vaccine he's had? You should get a rate (eg 90pc likely to be immune). That should give you some confidence - and some people give their boys mumps vaccines before they go off to uni.

FadedSapphire Fri 26-Jul-13 13:33:31

Thanks Catherina. Hope he is covered for mumps still until I get him vaccinated in the Autumn. Will be super [triple] vaccinated against measles and rubella!!

CatherinaJTV Fri 26-Jul-13 10:25:29

Hi FadedSapphire,

yes, I think he would have to get the MMR. Rather than a costly blood test, I would get him that at the next opportunity.

FadedSapphire Fri 26-Jul-13 09:32:42

Lots of time to make decision. Rang doctors and due to staff [nurse] shortages can't do jabs until early September. Advice still appreciated though.

FadedSapphire Fri 26-Jul-13 09:12:38

Another vaccine question from me!
My ds 8 had 2x single measles and rubella vaccines. 1x mumps. [Younger ds had 2x MMR].
To cover for mumps should he have MMR? If so urgent now or say wait until just before puberty [age 9 or 10?].
He doesn't like injections so MMR probably preferable to blood test to check for immunity with mumps.
Holiday most of August over seas so don't really want to do now in case of side affects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now