Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Post MMR Reactions - some reassurance please!

(5 Posts)
CabbageLooking Sun 21-Jul-13 08:27:08

My one year old DS was given his MMR and the other jabs that go with it on Tuesday morning. On Friday evening he started refusing food and did not sleep at all that night - clearly uncomfortable and with a raging temperature. The next morning a measles type rash had appeared on his arms, legs and to a lesser extent his torso and face.

We took him to OOH yesterday and he's been thoroughly checked and we've been given the usual calpol/ibuprofen advice and are getting as much water into him as possible. This morning he is still rashy, still hot (though not as hot as he was), still refusing food. He is miserable and in a possibly unrelated development he now has a bit of a phlegmy cough which could be due to the masses of dribble coming out of him.

Has anyone else had this? How long can I expect it to last and could the cough be related? I may well take him back to ooh today anyway but is this sounding normal or should I be worried?

Thanks for any replies.

Crumbledwalnuts Sun 21-Jul-13 10:23:44

I hope he's fine. It must be awful for both of you. If it was me I would go back to ooh and ignore any hints that you are making a fuss. Also fill out a yellow adverse events card. This site. All the best.

CabbageLooking Sun 21-Jul-13 11:21:28

Thank you - I've never heard of the Yellow Card thing so I will definitely fill that in. The OOH doctor was very sweet, didn't suggest we were making a fuss, just couldn't really suggest anything beyond the usual. Did say we should go back if we were at all concerned so we might do that if there's no improvement by this afternoon.

Crumbledwalnuts Sun 21-Jul-13 12:35:23

Ask about Vitamin A. In developing countries they give it with measles vax because the vax itself (as well as the disease) depletes Vitamin A. Perhaps a small baby sized supplement would help - about 10 per cent of children are thought to be deficient, but you don't need to have a deficiency for a vax or measles to deplete what you've already got.

Boots might even sell a toddler Vit A supplement.

CatherinaJTV Thu 25-Jul-13 15:51:44

Cabbage - how is your little one now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now