Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is it safe for my 5yo dd to have all these immunisations in the one day? MMR + BST DTaP/IPV?

(11 Posts)
WhistlingNun Sat 13-Jul-13 21:26:25

Hello.

My 5yo daughter has received another invitation to get the latter of the above vaccinations done.

Due to health reasons, i've delayed her jags until after her operations and her health picks up. Now seems the perfect time to get everything up to date. She is healthy and it's the summer holidays. So if she gets poorly as a result of the jabs, she'll not miss any school.

Anyway, i called up the doctors today and asked if i could also have an appt for the MMR. The HV on the phone just said to mention to the nurse at the clinic when i take dd for her appt (for the BST DTaP/IPV), i should just ask them to give her the MMR at the same time.

Now i feel a bit funny about this.

Isn't the BST jag two injections?

So in total - with the MMR - dd will be getting three injections.

All those things getting injected into her little body in the one go just doesn't feel safe to me and it's making me have second thoughts.

I think i'd just like some unbiased reassurance.

Also, can anyone advise what else my dd is behind in re vaccinations?

Here's her schedule as detailed on her appt letter.

At 2 months old she got her:

1st DTaP/IPV/Hib
1st Pneumo

At 4 months:

2nd DTaP/IPV/Hib
1st MenC
2nd Pneumo

At 5 months:

3rd DTaP/IPV/Hib
2nd MenC

At 1 yo

Hib/MenC

So if/when she gets the MMR and BST DTaP/IPV in two weeks, will she be all up to date?

Thanks

bumbleymummy Sat 13-Jul-13 22:35:17

I, personally, wouldn't feel happy about it but I'm sure plenty of people will tell you it will be fine. I don't think they'd have any problems with you spreading them out a bit if you'd feel happier. They're probably just suggesting that you have them all done at the same time for convenience.

Parietal Sat 13-Jul-13 22:54:28

yes, it is safe. why wouldn't it be? kids meet hundreds of different varieties of bacteria & viruses everyday. what is wrong with 3 more?

CatherinaJTV Sat 13-Jul-13 23:05:59

I split those shots into two visits for DS, did the MMR first and the rest a month later (fully knowing that it would not be a problem, but just feeling bad about it). The doctor was understanding. Didn't make a difference to DD who had all her shots in one day.

bumbleymummy Sun 14-Jul-13 09:02:24

Parietal, I've never understood why people think that is a valid comparison. Children are not injected with multiple viruses and bacteria every day.

she wouldnt be up to date with her MMR unless she had one of them when she was younger and you have missed it off the list. There are normally 2 MMR's - 1 at 12/13 months and then 1 at 3years 4months or shortly after.

immunisation schedule

CatherinaJTV Sun 14-Jul-13 09:10:32

Children are also not injected with multiple viruses and bacteria when they are vaccinated, since the vaccines do not contain actual bacteria. Apart from that, toddlers have scrapes and cuts all the time.

p.s. the DTaP/IPV is a single 4 in 1 jag protecting against diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough (pertussis) and polio

bumbleymummy Sun 14-Jul-13 09:22:28

Fair enough Catherina but my point stands. Being injected is not the same as how we come into contact with things naturally.

WhistlingNun Sun 14-Jul-13 10:39:35

Thanks everyone.

I think i'll just get a separate appt for the MMR, maybe in a few weeks after she's recovered from this one.

Crumbledwalnuts Sun 14-Jul-13 11:58:15

Whistling that's why I would do if I were going to get the MMR. I would have all three injections on different days about six weeks apart if I was going to have all three. I am not a doctor (but then I don't think anyone else on the thread is either).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now