Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Where to get BCG for 5yo in London?

(13 Posts)
philbee Thu 11-Jul-13 10:10:25

We are in SE London where they routinely vaccinate babies with BCG. DD1 missed it as we moved and I didn't get my act together in time. NHS won't do it now and say to go to a private travel clinic, but the ones I've called don't have a vaccine for children. Can anyone recommend somewhere to have it done, please?

valiumredhead Thu 11-Jul-13 10:20:24

How odd. When I missed mine I had it at Lewisham hospital.

valiumredhead Thu 11-Jul-13 10:21:51

When did they start routinely vaccinating babies for bcg ? When ds was born 12 years ago they didn't when wee lived in SE London.

valiumredhead Thu 11-Jul-13 10:22:12

We

philbee Thu 11-Jul-13 14:38:31

DD is nearly 5 so at least 5 years, in Southwark and Lewisham. They don't do it later on at school any more, so that's it.

valiumredhead Thu 11-Jul-13 14:43:39

Ds will have his at secondary school, we've moved out of London now. Can you talk to your gp put have you already done that?

bumpybecky Thu 11-Jul-13 14:51:40

valium hello smile I don't think your ds will have it as they don't offer it at secondary here

Weegiemum Thu 11-Jul-13 15:00:51

We wanted our children to have it when we were travelling to a tropical country with dubious sanitation. The children were 5, 3 and 16 months at the time. It was offered at a GP surgery (not ours) locally for free on the nhs, as were all other travel vaccinations required apart from rabies, which we payed for privately (payed for the vaccines but it was administered at no cost by the practice nurse).

I'd be a bit hmm about it not being offered, if your child has missed what is usually a routine vaccination they should be glad you want to catch up! Could you contact your local health board (? Whatever it's called in London, it's a health board in Scotland) and ask for clarification?

valiumredhead Thu 11-Jul-13 15:02:05

Hello Beckysmile how odd, was told the do it at the school opposite the one ds goes too now-crypticwink I thought it was odd but it was someone who works at the school who told me! I'm glad of he doesn't need it though. Btw, having a break from fb for a bit, I've not deleted yousmile

valiumredhead Thu 11-Jul-13 15:02:36

Sorry, so many typos, bloody phone!

bumpybecky Thu 11-Jul-13 15:09:22

valium dd1 is at said school (year 10 now!) and hasn't had the bcg

she had tetanus and something else (diphtheria maybe) in year 9, but def not bcg

philbee who did you ask? was it the gp or the receptionist? seems odd they won't let you catch up

valiumredhead Thu 11-Jul-13 15:11:49

Ah maybe that's what they were talking about then. That makes sense. Is she happy at school? Ds goes next year <gulp>

Biped Wed 07-Aug-13 11:57:54

Hi, I live in Croydon borough, which doesn't provide BCG jabs in spite of the fact that all neighbouring boroughs seem to. On the basis that TB doesn't to my knowledge observe local authority boundaries hmm I was looking into getting it privately for DS who is currently 9 weeks. I found this clinic though I haven't followed them up yet.

www.moorgatemd.co.uk/fees/

However, on reading the article below, I now can't decide whether or not to go ahead. What do others think?

www.gponline.com/Clinical/article/906355/viewpoint-universal-bcg-vaccination-necessary/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now