Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

please help me - DTaP adverse reactions

(10 Posts)
Ouchy Thu 04-Jul-13 22:55:25

Anyone have any experience or had an adverse reaction happen to their dc/a friend's?

I am pro vaccinations, my older dc had all hers and will get pre school boosters.

But my four month old reacted in a very scary way to his 2 and 3 month DTaP resulting in hospital stay etc. Pediatrician advised it was the whooping cough bit caused the reaction. I am being urged to continue his vaccinations by the pediatrician. He has no other problems as far as we know, health wise.

Thanks in advance, I am very confused.

Crumbledwalnuts Fri 05-Jul-13 06:56:49

I've no idea what to say - I'm so sorry that's awful. But you should fill in a yellow adverse reaction card though. Did the doctor write down that it was a vaccine reaction? Is it too late to ask him or her to do that? What kind of reaction was it - what did they say was actually wrong with your baby - for eg encephalitis? Have you see the notes? Was it explained properly to you? How does the doctor know it was the whooping cough part? Was there some kind of test or was it assumed?

He's now not due another Dtap until aged 3 or 4 I assume so you don't have that to worry about. But then unless the doctor knows for absolutely certain sure that it was the pertussis element, perhaps it could have been the fact that it was a combined vaccine made a difference and it was too much for your baby to manage all at once? I don't know this, I'm just wondering how they know what caused the problem.

If you are really terribly worried I think it's worth you getting a second opinion.

CatherinaJTV Fri 05-Jul-13 08:32:17

I am so sorry Ouchy - that must have been so scary.
I am with Crumbled about filling out a reaction report and I would actually not do another DTaP for now. He has had two that will give him some basic immunity and you can go back and get a third shot closer to age 1 (the Swedes for example do the DTaP at 3, 5, 12 months). In that time, your DS will grow older and hopefully more "robust" and you'll have a chance to see how he does with the other shots. Does the ped really suggest continuing with the DTaP, or only with the DT?

Ouchy Fri 05-Jul-13 15:22:48

Hi thanks so much for replies. Crumbled - the doctor (consultant pediatrician) wrote down vaccine reaction on notes but advised to continue with vaccinations. He said it seems scary at the time but is fine, no long term impact (mini seizures). They lasted 3 days,2 to 3 per day. He is not up to date with his jabs now as I cancelled his 4 month set. Scared about him not being immunized now. But equally scared of continuing. My first child was fine with them all!

Catherina your point on the Swedes makes me feel better thank you. And yes it was the full DTaP the consultant recommended again at 4 months. He said we could have in hospital and stay in for 24 hours in case. I declined! sad Parenting is such a worry!

CatherinaJTV Fri 05-Jul-13 16:49:51

I think you did well - instead of recommending to continue with the shots, the consultant should have referred you to a neurologist (I would think). The mini seizures could just be fever related, but you'd want to know, right?

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682198.html

Talk with your doctor if your child: had a seizure or collapsed after a dose of DTaP, cried non-stop for 3 hours or more after a dose of DTaP, or had a fever over 105 °F after a dose of DTaP.

I guess you did talk to the doctor and I don't really like to recommend to go against the recommendation of someone who studied this and knows your child in real life. Still, if this was my son, I would see how he does with the other shots (if it was really the pertussis part, he should be fine with hib and/or the pneumo vaccines) first.

Hopefully this was a one off and the seizures will not reappear. I'd have a cell phone camera ready when he has a cold or runs a temp with any bug though, just in case this happens again.

Hugs!

You don't have to stick to the NHS schedule, there are other options. The actual risk of catching diptheria is very low with only a handful of cases in the UK, and tetanus can still be given individually should the need arise.

If your child is breastfed then he is getting a lot of immunity from you.

There is an alternative dTaP vaccination available, but it can only be given when they are a little bit older. It is very hard, within the NHS, to get any professional who will recommend anything other than the NHS schedule.

Ouchy Fri 05-Jul-13 18:34:03

Thanks. The seizures were afebrile - there was no temperature at all sad mini ones, they lasted seconds
Xx

Ouchy Fri 05-Jul-13 18:35:06

He's been fine in the month and half since. No more seizures.

Ouchy Fri 05-Jul-13 18:35:32

Thanks so much for all your replies

OrchidFlakes Sun 07-Jul-13 15:49:39

Ask to see the vaccine insert for the DTaP. I did after my DS reacted to the Pertussis element of it and the manufacturers allude to 2 shots being sufficient.

We paused after the first shot but DS will likely have his 2nd DTaP shortly and then that will be it for him.

It's terrifying to go through, especially as it comes so enexpectedly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now