Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Rotavirus vaccine

(46 Posts)
bumbleymummy Mon 01-Jul-13 08:14:43

Just read that it's being added to the vaccine schedule this year. What do you think? Will you be getting it at 2 and 3 months or would you wait until later?

CustardFromATin Fri 25-Apr-14 04:58:59

We had a bout of rotavirus at DS2's playgroup, 2 babies ended up severely dehydrated with one in hospital on a drip for a couple of nights. They were both bfed too, one exclusively as was only 4 months. it clearly wasn't enough protection from the amount of exposure that grotty little babies give each other hmm

Ds2 had been vaccinated as it's standard where we live, he did get it, but so much less severely, just a few days of nasty nappies and night poos. He had bad reflux in the early days but it didn't cause any issue, despite my fears at the time. Ds1 and dd never got it, but after the experience of the other mums I think that it's definitely worth it!

glaringsam Fri 25-Apr-14 04:29:20

9% of children are hospitalized with rotavirus. Do you not think they experience significant discomfort?
We allow parents to make complex medical decisions that have far reaching implications for everyones children, which I respect, but it's downright irresponsible to make statements like the one above this.

Educate yourself and make your own informed decision, whatever that is. However remember that by opting out of a vaccine you are also opting in to a risk of getting an illness that has serious health implications.
If you have a social conscience also consider that vaccination programs can efficiently rid us completely of diseases only when undertaken by whole populations, thereby protecting all children including those who are unable to have a vaccine for medical reasons.

Missu1004 Sun 30-Mar-14 15:48:12

Do not give your child this vaccine. It has created horrible reviews on other sites & is being silenced to continue its monetary gain!
My baby has had what appears to be onset of intussussception. With rounds of crying, constipation, vomiting, decreased appetite, spotting on face, jerking movements from stomach pain and ER visit - we were ultimately given suppositories & told to come back if babe developed a hardened stomach! Not even an adult likes to experience stomach pain, cramps, constipation and too much crying causes us headaches so what makes it okay for babies?!
We will not be giving her any more of these virus infected vaccinations nor vaccines in which there is enough evidence of side effects within children to test if other illnesses are related such as ADHD, autism, etc., vaccines were previously known to cause enough injury to impact development.
Good luck to all who strongly urges the government to dictate how we protect our children as they use them as guinea pigs!

ladyofthehouse4 Wed 06-Nov-13 14:00:55

I have just been reading more about it on www.rota.com/other-causes-of-diarrhea/ definitely one to think about

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Wed 06-Nov-13 09:32:41

It's pretty grim. It's like norovirus on crack. About a week of puking and having diarrhoea. Vaccine is standard here ( Hong Kong) but admittedly viruses do spread a lot more easily here as its such a hospitable environment. Whole schools were getting cleared out before they started vaccinating. In the uk I'm not sure I'd bother.

ladyofthehouse4 Wed 06-Nov-13 09:16:09

I dont know much about the Rotavirus, apart from a friends family suffering terribly with it to the point they were hospitalized with it. Im seriously considering it for my little ones, but just unsure whether its worth it

Jo1984uk Thu 08-Aug-13 06:04:22

My 17 wk old dd has not had the vaccine either. She had diarrhoea for nearly a month (nurse thinks it was a rare reaction to 8 wk jabs) so I was advised not to let her have it. Hopefully the breastfeeding will provide her with some immunity smile

DoodleAlley Mon 29-Jul-13 20:31:28

Well after all my angst and research I took DD for her jabs at 13 weeks because they sent her away at 12 due to inexplicable temperature spike. little monkey fine before and after so I suspect a cunning ploy on her part!

They wouldn't give it is as they said their policy was all doses done by 16 weeks and so wouldn't be able to fit second dose in.

So that took the decision out of my hands!

mrsnobby Thu 18-Jul-13 22:44:07

My DD had the vaccine yesterday. She has been absolutely fine in herself ever since. My DS had rotavirus and was so poorly. He didn't have to go to hospital but it was so upsetting at the time - he lost weight, looked dreadful and was lactose intolerant for a while afterwards. I am so pleased my daughter has been offered the vaccine.

stopgap Thu 18-Jul-13 20:47:01

Doodlealley, do not give your baby the rotavirus vaccine!

I am not anti-vax, but this vaccine sent my baby's mild reflux into overdrive. He had all but outgrown it at 13 weeks, had his first rotavirus vaccine, and proceeded to have greenish-black stools for months afterwards, stop breathing episodes, and the day after the vaccine, high-pitched screaming for twelve hours straight.

The rotavirus vaccine has been on and off for the market for several years. I honestly think it's more trouble than it's worth.

My son is now two and we have just finished his first round of vaccines (minus MMR and varicella, which we shall be doing after we return from our holidays). Due to the dreadful reaction to rotavirus, we practically went one by one with subsequent vaccines. I was terrified of another bad reaction, but he had zero reaction to the other vaccines.

Sunnysummer Wed 03-Jul-13 03:14:19

In case it helps DoodleAlley and others - my severely refluxy 10 week old just had his rotavirus vaccine with other standard shots (a few weeks late as he was a few weeks early) and was fine. I was also a bit nervous about what it would do to his system, but he had no major problems - he had a mild temperature that night and did one small posset the next morning, which he doesn't usually, but he didn't cry (even) more or sleep (even) less than usual.

DoodleAlley Wed 03-Jul-13 01:58:33

I take consolation that it seems even odds for having a side effect and child needing hospital.

Except if we have the vaccination I know she is already at risk of the side effect whereas she might not get rotavirus or might have a different strain to those covered by vaccination.

But then either the side effects might be temporary or the. Rotavirus mild.

It's hard isn't it? And I say this as the parent of an older child who was hospitalised for several data at five months old with gastro.

Wwendy33 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:22:27

I'm in the same position. Need to decide tomorrow and advise the clinic. I keep thinking that it's a new vaccine and as my baby has quite a lot of pain from reflux it would be difficult to pick up symptoms - so not to take it. Then I worry that the baby gets sickness and has to be hospitalised. Aaahhhhh!!

stargirl1701 Tue 02-Jul-13 21:26:58

Aye, scary. I had never heard of silent reflux before I had DD. I had no idea having a baby could be this hard.

DoodleAlley Tue 02-Jul-13 21:24:50

Oh I'm so glad things got better. Just having the choking stop would be nice. It's one of the worst things I've ever heard - waking up to hear your newborn choking or gasping for breath.

Anyway thank goodness we have access to medications - even vaccinations we can choose to reject or accept.

stargirl1701 Tue 02-Jul-13 20:56:45

We did, thanks. We saw a big improvement at 7 months grin It was just awful until then. She's now 9 months and doing really well. Sleeping 12 hours solid at night with one or two long naps during the day. She eats everything she can get her hands on - except carrots! Meds will be reduced from 12 months very slowly! grin

Hang in there. It will get better.

DoodleAlley Tue 02-Jul-13 20:52:56

Oh stargirl it's horrible isn't it?

DDs meds for her silent reflux seems to chipping away at her symptoms a bit (which is why I am so concerned) but its horrible and you have my sympathies.

I just wish DD would stop choking in her sleep but we do seem to be making progress on the screaming. Hope you get some meds that work

stargirl1701 Tue 02-Jul-13 20:47:19

My DD has silent reflux. We didn't notice any change. She screamed 8-13 hours a day before the vaccine and 8-13 hours a day after the vaccine. hmm

DoodleAlley Tue 02-Jul-13 20:41:55

Dd is due her three month vaccinations on Friday so it's probably our last chance for the first dose. I know I'm going to have a crisis in the afternoon holding her about whether I've made the right decision.

It's so hard to go against formal recommendations.

Sidge Tue 02-Jul-13 20:21:47

No we haven't been given any information specifically pertaining to circovirus as there are apparently no health risks to humans. And I'm not really sure why the risk of intussusseption increases after 25 weeks; I believe the background incidence of intussusseption peaks at around 5 months but as to why I don't know.

The research suggests that premature babies born after 27 weeks respond as well to the vaccine as those born full term.

It must be a difficult decision as a parent when a "new" vaccine is introduced to the schedule - of course none are compulsory and one has to weigh up the potential risks and perceived benefits for your child.

Crumbledwalnuts Tue 02-Jul-13 19:51:38

I would worry about the shedding - perhaps not such a problem here but I think virus shedding is a problem with for example oral polio in countries/communities with poor sanitation and I don't see why this would be any different.

probablysilly Tue 02-Jul-13 19:34:52

Sounds like you've thought it through and come to the right decision for you Doodle.

I don't think I would go for it if I had another baby. I didn't worry about it with either of my two boys so I don't see why I should start worrying about it now just because there's a vaccine for it.

DoodleAlley Tue 02-Jul-13 19:24:22

I'm concerned of the risk that introducing even a milder version of the virus might upset the system of my refluxy DD.

I was investigating this last night.

I'm going to go with all other vaccinations as I did with DS but the risks of it unsettling her system and worsening her reflux seem too great.

90% of children have has rotavirus by the time they are three. Admittedly on average 1 in 10 will need to go into hospital due to dehydration but thats an awful lot that don't.

After having gastro DS' reflux got worse and he go temporary lacoste intolerance.

DDs system is already in a state of imbalance with her reflux meds I don't want to add another thing into the mix.

And then there is the uncategorised risk of things like apnea.

As an aside I don't fancy the idea her nappies might be contagious! But that wouldn't stop me.

Given the rotavirus doesn't have complications like blindness etc even if you recover it seems like too muc of a risk.

Beachcomber Tue 02-Jul-13 19:15:07

Sorry for multiple posts - I said 'jabs' in the above post and just wanted to clear any confusion up as Rotarix is not given by injection - it is given orally.

Beachcomber Tue 02-Jul-13 19:12:39

Another X post!

Yes, they should be informed of the benefits - I don't think I have said otherwise smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now