Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cervical cancer vaccine - Japan no longer recommends because of side effects concern

(137 Posts)
Crumbledwalnuts Tue 18-Jun-13 06:46:09

there are quite a lot of different places this story is written, this is one of them

It's not being withdrawn but the government isn't recommending it any more. At least for now, while it investigates.

bumbleymummy Tue 18-Jun-13 09:09:49

Interesting...I wonder which one they use.

HormonalHousewife Tue 18-Jun-13 09:13:01

interesting...my initial thoughts were that they would have used a less concentrated dosage but I dont think thats possible with a vaccine ??

TanteRose Tue 18-Jun-13 09:26:41

they use both Cervarix and Gardasil here

I think that you can choose which one to use

The girl who is now in a wheelchair was vaccinated with Cervarix. Her mum is behind a campaign to ban the vaccine sad

very timely for me as my DD is 15 and was due to be vaccinated in the next few months.

will hold off for now

Crumbledwalnuts Tue 18-Jun-13 23:02:54

Terrible isn't it. Also pretty bad that it's not well-known. Mainstream media running scared I think.

Crumbledwalnuts Thu 20-Jun-13 06:34:37

Bump

WouldBeHarrietVane Thu 20-Jun-13 06:41:20

Brave of them to announce they are suspending and rechecking.

Bunbaker Thu 20-Jun-13 06:46:01

DD has had the vaccines. I did a lot of research and spoke to her consultant and our GP (she has joint problems) and they all advised me to go ahead with it. So far she has been fine.

Crumbledwalnuts Thu 20-Jun-13 07:02:03

I'm glad your daughter is fine, BB. I researched too, and decided not to go ahead. I'm very happy with my choice, though I think it's quite unusual in the UK.

forevergreek Thu 20-Jun-13 07:09:59

My sister had the vaccine then has a stoke 2 days later. Could be a coincidence but unlikely

Bunbaker Thu 20-Jun-13 07:11:14

I admit that I had major reservations about going ahead with it and wouldn't dream of criticising anyone who decided not to. I guess it is one of those things where it is easier to minimise the risks of HPV than it is with the diseases the MMR vaccinates against.

Crumbledwalnuts Thu 20-Jun-13 07:12:12

God, forever, I'm so sorry for you and your sister.

Yes Bunbaker I'm planning to pay for private smear tests for my duaghter until she's 25.

Bunbaker Thu 20-Jun-13 07:12:14

I hope your sister made a full recovery forevergreek. What a dreadful thing to happen.

forevergreek Thu 20-Jun-13 07:31:12

She has pretty much ( 18 months on), but used a wheelchair until around Easter this year. Still needs sometimes.

I'm also all for mmr etc but this just doesn't seem to have had the research as a very new idea / vaccine

HormonalHousewife Thu 20-Jun-13 09:19:51

Gosh forever thats terribly sad. Glad to hear she is improving. I guess we will never know exactly what caused the stroke but it must be impossible not to seperate the two.

How old is she ?

Generally I am very pro vaccinations but chose not to go ahead with this for my 16 year old daughter at the moment.

CatherinaJTV Thu 20-Jun-13 10:51:11

Forevergreek - I am glad your sister is better. What do the doctors say what caused the stroke?

forevergreek Thu 20-Jun-13 11:57:19

She is 13. They aren't sure but have had similar cases with others so haven't excluded. Like you say you can't really say yes or no for sure, but my parents wish they had researched as just assumed it was very safe ( as I never had as wasn't around years ago- big age gap between us)

CatherinaJTV Thu 20-Jun-13 14:46:42

I was just interested in which alternative explanations the docs would have come up with. Paediatric stroke is not exactly a frequent occurrence (background levels are about 0.8 in 10'000) and risk factors could be worth following up (like clotting disorders, vessel malformations). Most cases of paediatric stroke I know of (4 of 5) were a consequence of chicken pox infection - the other child had a heart malformation. A complete work up to exclude something lurking is important (may have been done).

Crumbledwalnuts Fri 21-Jun-13 15:12:41

Bump. All the best to your sister Forever.

FiftyshadesofYoni Fri 21-Jun-13 15:22:21

Story broke a week before my dd1 was due her vaccination, about a local girl who collapsed and died after her jab at school. Was a couple of years ago, spoke to some other mums, one a nurse, one a doctor and one who worked for the vaccination team and all were not going to let their dd's have the jab.

They all thought it was too risky, too early to document any side effects and all a bit russian roulette.

So both my dd's have not the vaccine, when health professionals weren't willing to risk their dd's, I'm happy with my decision.

Crumbledwalnuts Fri 21-Jun-13 15:53:58

I think it's fair enough to withdraw the recommendation. People who want it can still have it.

MissPlumBroughtALadder Fri 21-Jun-13 15:57:16

Lots of side effects reported in Australia. They give it to boys there, too. I find it very hard to support this vaccine, especially when there are so many known factors which increase the risk of cervical cancer, not just HPV. I'd rather see a programme educating on the links between cervical cancer and smoking, for example. Or testing the levels of folic acid in young women, as deficiency and even insufficiency is strongly associated with cervical dysplasia.

Crumbledwalnuts Fri 21-Jun-13 15:59:18

MissPlum: I did not know that about folic acid. That's interesting, I'm going to try to find a paper.

Crumbledwalnuts Fri 21-Jun-13 16:08:16

Here's the study

Thanks Miss Plum. I'm going to do something about that!

CatherinaJTV Fri 21-Jun-13 16:52:45

MissPlum - are you saying young women are not educated on the risks of smoking?

I wish boys were offered the HPV vaccine on the NHS, would save me some money grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now