Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

'Patch' vaccines

(4 Posts)
bumbleymummy Fri 14-Jun-13 08:19:09

Very interesting Particularly:

"It seems that we may have been missing the immune sweet spot which may be in the skin rather than the muscle which is where traditional needles go...

Researchers noticed that the immune responses for vaccines administered with the nanopatch were completely different to those given by a syringe...

The amount of vaccine needed to be effective is much lower, up to one hundredth of the traditional dose."

It's something which people who are considered 'anti-vax' on MN have been talking about for years and are frequently ridiculed for - how current vaccines bypass the skin which plays a huge role in immune response. Nice to know that the scientists agree!

scaevola Fri 14-Jun-13 08:41:19

You shouldn't be ridiculed for wanting the vaccination schedule to be made up of the best and safest vaccines. And if you must set up a opposition between "pro" and "anti", at least recognise that those who are pro-vax are recommending that the best available protection is used and have no difficulty with the idea or opposition to new immunisations and routes of administration (eg change in schedule for polio).

It's going to be a 'magic number' of years before any such technology is ready to replace any current jabs. The question of whether you protect your DC, and the herd, by immunisation using what is currently available is unchanged.

bumbleymummy Fri 14-Jun-13 09:03:46

Scae, I haven't set up the opposition between 'pro' and 'anti' . I've seen several threads where anyone who questions the current vaccines/vaccines schedule is labelled as 'anti' even though they may very well have vaccinated! (Even if it was on a different schedule)

I have seen the point about vaccines bypassing the skin being made on threads, and have raised it myself a few times, and many posters are only too ready to jump on it as ridiculous/not important etc. It is nice to see that future vaccines will actually address the problem. Inhalable vaccines are also being developed.

While you may think that 'pro-vaccine' people are not opposed to the ideas of new developments etc, it is actually the people who question the way things are currently done that result in the new Developments - not the ones who stick to 'of course it is fine/safe/effective' any time questions are raised.

LaVolcan Fri 14-Jun-13 11:15:58

Scae, I haven't set up the opposition between 'pro' and 'anti' . I've seen several threads where anyone who questions the current vaccines/vaccines schedule is labelled as 'anti' even though they may very well have vaccinated!

Couldn't agree more bumbley, since I am one who had my children vaccinated but have been called an 'anti'.

It does sound a promising development.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now