Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MMR question

(5 Posts)
MolotovCocktail Wed 22-May-13 09:41:47

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but here goes smile

My 13mo dd2 had her first MMR vaccination yesterday.

We are due to travel to north Wales on holiday this August. Whilst discussing with the nurse, I was left unclear as to the level of protection my dd will have after the first jab. It was something like she'll have about 88% immunity (so, partial immunity?) or 88% of people develop immunity; the boosters are to 'catch' the 12% who do not develop immunity. If anyone can, I would appreciate some clarity with this.

We're in the Midlands and the nurse told me that there are cases in Shropshire and a few in London. To be honest, I am a bit worried about travelling there, but perhaps I'm worrying too much?

CatherinaJTV Wed 22-May-13 13:16:48

Hi - your son has a 95% chance of being 100% protected with one MMR. The outbreak in Wales is slowing down (see www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/888/page/66389), so hopefully by August, your risk of getting exposed will be small anyway.

MolotovCocktail Wed 22-May-13 14:19:07

Thank-you for your reply. I am worrying about this and am considering moving our holiday booking. DH thinks this is unnecessary but I guess I'm feeling uneasy.

Thanks for the link, too - I will look at it and try and make a reasoned decision (minus the rising panic!)

noblegiraffe Tue 04-Jun-13 21:24:03

There were more cases in Manchester last week than in Wales! You can keep an eye on the number of cases in each region each week here:

www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/NotificationsOfInfectiousDiseases/NOIDSReportsAndTables/

noblegiraffe Tue 04-Jun-13 21:25:47

Sorry, Greater Manchester not just Manchester.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now