Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Routine vaccines

(28 Posts)
LittleJack15 Sat 04-May-13 08:04:44

My little one is due his routine vaccines and wondered how safe they are and does everyone have them?
smilesmile

NotTreadingGrapes Sat 04-May-13 08:06:50

They are safe.
Sane people have them.

HTH.

LittleJack15 Sat 04-May-13 08:26:02

Yea I thought so, it's my other half who has said they are nasty things! Full of mercury?
smilesmile

MildDrPepperAddiction Sat 04-May-13 08:28:03

It's a choice you and your DH/P will have to make for yourselves. Read all you can and inform yourselves. Then decide.

Sirzy Sat 04-May-13 08:29:00

yes they are safe. A small minority of people will have an adverse reaction, the risk is there with any medical procedure nothing is 100% safe but they are safer than the illnesses

seeker Sat 04-May-13 08:31:29

They are safe. No mercury.

Ask your dp how he feels about your child potentially catching polio. Or diptheria.

seeker Sat 04-May-13 08:33:16

A small number of people have a severe reaction to any drug- nothing is 100% reaction free. There is a list of possible side effects connected with calpol!

Booboostoo Sat 04-May-13 08:38:23

The is a very small chance of severe reactions from the vaccines, but unvaccinated children run a much larger chance of severe reactions from the diseases and pose a risk to others.

There is no mercury in vaccines.

nocake Sat 04-May-13 08:45:40

Unfortunately the internet is full of websites spreading scare stories and lies about vaccinations. If you're going to read up about them please use reliable and unbiased sources.

RosinaCopper Sat 04-May-13 09:01:57

Your other half is talking about Thiomersal (some people call it Thimerosal) with is a preservative that used to be in some vaccines. I don't think it is used any more, (but I'm not certain of that). Even if they do still contain Thiomersal, my dcs have all had all their routine jabs.

As nocake said, you can find a wealth of information to back up your view, whether it is pro- or anti- vaccination. In the end, we can only do what we feel is best as the parent of our child, whether that is to vaccinate or not. I chose to vaccinate, but I also absolutely respect another person's decision to not vaccinate their children. I think it must be really hard if a child's two parents have opposing views on this. In the end we are all just trying to do what we think is right!

nocake Sat 04-May-13 09:08:05

If your DH isn't convinced about the benefits of vaccinations you could point him to the news about the measles epidemic in Wales. It is the result of people not having their kids vaccinated. We haven't yet heard of any deaths or serious after effects from this epidemic but it's only a matter of time.

LittleJack15 Sat 04-May-13 09:35:10

Thank you for your replies. It's great help.
I really think he should have them.
smilesmile

sashh Sun 05-May-13 07:45:19

OP

They do have nasty things in them, that's the point, to get the immune system to react so if it comes across the disease it can defend the body.

As for mercury - there is a tiny bit in some, but less than there is in a tuna sandwich.

Adverse reactions - yes a possibility, but you can die from drinking too much water, does he worry about adverse reactions when he has a glass of water?

banana87 Sun 05-May-13 08:14:10

It's not just mercury you need to worry about, and its now only in small amounts, however there are other heavy metals in vaccines that do cause damage. Read the book "the truth about vaccines". Very informative and NOT anti-vaccinations!

seeker Sun 05-May-13 08:20:21

The Truth About Vaccines was written by Richard Halvorsen- who makes his living by providing single vaccines. The Advertising Standards Agency has recently forced him to remove a number of claims from his website.

banana87 Sun 05-May-13 08:22:52

Be that as it may, he doesn't promote single or no vaccines in his book...it's entirely research based. Have you read it?

MousyMouse Sun 05-May-13 08:23:49

they are very safe.
childhood vaccines do not contain mercury anymore.
if you want more information ask at your gp's which vaccine they use and look up the package leaflet on the internet.

banana87 Sun 05-May-13 08:24:42

To add, I have read the book, and I DO vaccinate my children (not singlely) under the delayed vaccine schedule which, having read the research, makes more sense than the money making, scare mongering government schemes.

seeker Sun 05-May-13 08:30:20

Yes. I have read the book.

bumbleymummy Sun 05-May-13 11:25:32

Well then you should know that there is an alternate schedule for the NHS vaccines suggested as well.

coorong Sun 05-May-13 13:21:30

From Amazon:
"Richard founded BabyJabs, a unique dedicated children's immunisation service in London where he works as medical director. He offers parents a choice of single and small combination vaccines for their child and, in consultation with parents, prepare personalised immunisation schedules for children, taking into account their personal situation and needs."

From Babyjabs:

Consultation £150 (30 minutes)
Telephone consultation £160 (30 minutes)
Average vaccine price (per vaccine) £130

(they advise 32 vaccines - that's OVER £4000 FOR THE SAME VACCINNES YOU'LL GET ON THE NHS FOR FREE

The advertising standards authority told Baby Jabs to removed FALSE CLAIMS about the MMR last year.

It is n Halvorsen's interest to promote concern about vaccines because clearly he can make a lot of money.

coorong Sun 05-May-13 13:30:44

on one side you have
The NHS
The World Health Organisation
40 years of MMR (billions of doses)
the Cochrane review of the safety of vaccines - they're fine, they're not perfect, but they're the best defence against a myriad of dreadful diseases

On the other side you have
half a dozen websites run by people who
1. believe that measles isn't that bad (try telling that to the parents in wales)
2. belive that vaccines are a conspiracy run by big pharma
3. that vaccines lower our "natural immunity" (no such thing - immunity comes from exposure to the disease either from having it - which is not great, or having a small "pretend" version of it - the vaccine).

exoticfruits Sun 05-May-13 22:38:15

The current mad theory is that the cases in Swansea are faked so that the drug companies can make money! I would take the sane view and get the vaccinations.

shallweshop Sun 05-May-13 22:43:31

Vaccinate - its the right thing to do - I did it to the two most precious beings in my whole life.

banana87 Sun 05-May-13 23:19:36

Coorong, in the back of his book dr halverson gives a NHS modified schedule. Read it before firing off assumptions! He goes through history and SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE to support each vaccine, the history of the disease and the contents of the vaccines. He leaves it up to the reader to decide what to do. People who assert that vaccines are SAFE are ignorant. Since when do we trust the government and money making pharmaceutical companies???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now