Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR 12 days early 'doesn't count'?

(7 Posts)
PleaseDontEatMyShoe Fri 03-May-13 13:28:14

Am a bit confused-we live in an area with a measles outbreak. DS is 11 months old, and I have a week off in two weeks, so would like to have him to have the MMR then, as I will be at home for a week, so if he does get a bit poorly, we'll have a week at home together, and so that he is protected from measles asap.

When I called to book, I was told that if they vaccinate on the date I've requested (12 days before his 1st birthday) it will not count as part of the formal vaccination schedule, and he would need a second dose once he is twelve months old (so less than two weeks later). This doesn't make any sense to me--how can 12 days make such a difference? Any advice from medical people would be great, as I don't want him to need two jabs in a fortnight, but would like him protected against measles as soon as possible.

Thanks!

CatherinaJTV Fri 03-May-13 13:47:17

will ask Public Health Wales, who are answering questions on Twitter NOW

PleaseDontEatMyShoe Fri 03-May-13 13:49:27

Thank you so much!

CatherinaJTV Fri 03-May-13 14:56:09

Hi again - PHW were quick to answer, most importantly, they refer to this guidance document bit.ly/ZscrSL (page 216-217)

You can see their answers on their Twitter page (everything that is addressed to @justthevax, scroll down to the first tweet above the one with the big green + sign and then read from the bottom up). I hope this helps!

CatherinaJTV Fri 03-May-13 14:56:27
CatherinaJTV Fri 03-May-13 15:02:46

They do stress to follow your GP's advice at all time (which sounds reasonable). Make an appointment, talk to your GP and take it from there. One possible solution would be to vaccinate your little one and take a titer three months later and if he is immune to measles then not vaccinate until 3 years 4 months, if not, give the next MMR then... hope your GP will find time to discuss this with you!

PleaseDontEatMyShoe Fri 03-May-13 18:01:50

Thank you, I really appreciate your help-I'll see if I can get a phone consultation booked in with the GP, as I had the conversation via the receptionist today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now