Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mmr booster or not?

(11 Posts)
ariane5 Sat 27-Apr-13 23:23:23

Dd1 ds1 and dd2 had 1st mmr last feb (v delayed as I was previously anti them having it)

Now they are due for booster and ds2 due for 1st mmr and other 13 m injections.

Do they def need boosters or will they have immunity from the 1 mmr already? Also will 3 injections on 1 day be too much for ds2? I always split up other dcs jabs as thought 3 at once was a lot?

up to 10% of children are left unprotected after the first jab and the second jab improves that figure so to get the best immunity it is best to get both injections. It is up to you whether you get all the jabs for your ds2 at the one time or whether you want to stagger them over a longer period.

Wotme Sun 28-Apr-13 08:44:51

I tested ds2's immunity after his first MMR.
He is immune to measles

I'd do the test or get the booster done

I wouldn't do nothing
Hth

Flicktheswitch Tue 30-Apr-13 13:46:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

adv115 Tue 30-Apr-13 14:45:53

Get them boosted. Please. As ilovepowerhoop says, some children are not immune after the first jab. I have also been told by the drs who have been treating my ds through measles that the booster also lengthens immunity from a few years (I.e. til they're at school) until long into adulthood. As for whether or not it's too much to have 3 jabs in one day, I'd say that if it's been found to be ok by healthcare professionals then there's no reason why not. Btw ds is 7 mths so too young for mmr. Young babies are at the mercy of those mums with children who are old enough to have the vaccine (both vaccines) but for whatever reason choose not to do it...

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 30-Apr-13 14:48:13

You can get their immunity tested privately - eg at Babyjabs in London. Costs about £100 iirc.

coorong Tue 30-Apr-13 17:11:13

ask for advice from your GP / health care worker, but it sound like if he was fine the first time, they'll be fine with the booster.

ariane5 Tue 30-Apr-13 17:35:40

Have decided to stagger jabs for dd2 and ds2 and dd1 and ds1 will have their mmr booster as that's the only one they are behind with (they are 11 and 6). Dd2 and ds2 will have pre school jabs / 13 month jabs as and when they are well/we can get appts etc as I think 3 at once is a bit much for ds2 (all dcs have health issues) and gp said we have to stagger dd2 due to her diabetes.

ariane5 Wed 01-May-13 11:06:38

Just an update-dcs all had MMR this morning, boosters for dd1 ds1 and dd2 and first for ds2.

Made an appt for 4 weeks time for dd2 to have other pre school jab and ds2 to have other 13m jabs.
Older 3 seem ok just have sore arms but little ds2 was very sleepy afterwards and a bit grumpy but fingers crossed he will be fine when he wakes up.
Glad its done especially with the dcs health problems measles would hit them hard. Also glad that we are playing our part and protecting babies too young to have the jab and those who can't have it for medical reasons.

Wotme Wed 01-May-13 13:50:49

I we t to babyjabs
I think the immunity is for life

If he wasnt immune to measles I'd most def have given him the MMR

Sadly, he's not immune to mumps and there is no single jab available in this country now. So I have to decide what next...

The test was simple and he tolerated it really well.. He's 7 and we talked him through it, he was looking forward to it tbh

His brother had just had blood taken to check for genetic causes of autism type problems as part of his process of testing For aspergers and ds2 felt left out of the fuss!

TheYamiOfYawn Wed 01-May-13 14:51:03

Thank you thread! I was browsing the active threads when I saw this and realised that I had totally forgotten about DD's pre-school booster appointment and had 20 minutes to get him to the surgery. We just made it on time and ate now enjoying post-immunisation lollipops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now