Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Am I likely to have been vaccinated against measles, and if so will dd be protected?

(5 Posts)
lurcherlover Thu 25-Apr-13 23:02:01

Stressing a bit as I live in an area with a few cases of measles.

I'm 31 and have never had measles. I had all available vaccines as a child but I know I'm too old to have had MMR. Will I have been vaccinated against measles? If so, will that immunity come through my breastmilk to protect 2-week-old dd? I'm really worried about the possibility of her getting measles - wish she was old enough to have the MMR.

Springforward Thu 25-Apr-13 23:04:37

I wondered this too, born mid seventies and parents both passed away so I've got no-one to ask.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 25-Apr-13 23:09:00

There was a tread about this recently ... Some bugs are covered through maternal immunity, and some continue through your milk while feeding.

I can't remember which measles is. Someone clever will be along in a minute!

Unless you live in a high risk area, you must have a very small chance of catching measles. Speak to your health visitor.

And enjoy your baby! Congrats!

Weegiemum Thu 25-Apr-13 23:11:42

I was born in 1970 and I had the single measles jag. Caught rubella as a child but also had immunisation at 13. Had mumps too - that was a horrid illness, worst of my childhood.

I think measles immunity from mother lasts about a year? That's why mmr is at 13+ months not before. But don't quote me!

Ginformation Thu 25-Apr-13 23:17:29

The advice is that MMR should not be given under 12 months as maternal antibodies may interfere with vaccine response. If someone is travelling to an endemic area then can be vaccinated over 6 months, but that jab will then be disregarded and will still need 2 further vaccines after 12 months.

Don't worry, your immunity will have been passed onto your baby, and although it will not last forever, it will certainly be effective now. And by breastfeeding you are doing everything you possibly can to protect your baby. And you will have had the single measles vaccine as a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now