Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

do toddlers need mmr booster early?

(11 Posts)
quip Thu 25-Apr-13 16:22:23

Everything on the news says "if your child hasn't had both doses of mmr vaccination then get them immunised asap"

What does this mean for children between 1 and 3 who have had their first dose but are not yet due their second? We are not in Swansea but have cases in schools in our town.

CatherinaJTV Thu 25-Apr-13 16:23:36

if measles are in the area, I would get the second MMR now. Germany recommends the first at between 11 and 14 months and the second MMR between 15 and 24 months.

Spookey80 Thu 25-Apr-13 20:46:32

Bump.

check with your gp as to whether they are offering the boosters early.

Minimaxkids Thu 25-Apr-13 20:55:18

When DS started preschool hours last Sept (aged 2.3 but we paid so mixing with children aged 2.3-5) our GP refused to give 2nd MMR early.
He will have spent a whole year in the setting before getting his booster.

Minimaxkids Thu 25-Apr-13 20:56:59

We are in greater London and when DD was same age, there was a scare and they pestered me weekly to have her a booster

notso Thu 25-Apr-13 20:58:19

I asked my HV about this today, we are in Wales but north. She said they are only offering early boosters in high risk areas.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Thu 25-Apr-13 21:03:53

I would ask your GP if you can have it early, see what they say.

PlasticLentilWeaver Thu 25-Apr-13 21:04:02

Tried to book mine in for his 2nd today but got told they have to prioritise the 10-16 year olds whose parents were -- too nutty-- unable to get their children vaccinated before, over younger kids who may not have full immunity but have at least had one vacc already. They will then be moving onto the 16-24 year olds who only had a single dose. Not sure why they are more important than toddlers who've only had one dose though.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Thu 25-Apr-13 21:16:17

I do feel it is unfair to dismiss people as 'nutty' for not giving mmr back then, I am not one of that group of parents myself but do remember it was a massive story. Not everyone will read the original research papers etc, and I feel although it has been publicly and thoroughly discredited not enough has been done to make up the lost ground. Even just posters up at the doctors or leaflets through school might have encouraged some parents to rethink in the intervening years.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the choices made by parents, the teenage children are not responsible for being unvaccinated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now