Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I know your all bored with Measles but......

(4 Posts)

can you get Measles if you have had the MMR?

DD, 18 has been unwell for the past couple of days, red, sore eyes, spots in her throat, cold symptoms, but is carrying on as best as she can.

But,,,,, had an email from her college this morning to say they have an outbreak of Measles and cited the symptons she has with the first symptons of Measles. So, now I`m wondering if she could have it or not and what should I do, if anything.

Yes you can, usually with lesser symptoms. However, you may have trouble persuading your GP that she has measles as there have been reports (on Mumsnet) of GPs being reluctant to diagnose where vaccinations have been given.

CatherinaJTV Thu 25-Apr-13 15:11:28

yes, you can, about 5% of kids who have had one MMR are not immune to measles. I would call the GP and see whether she can be seen out of hours (not during office hours, or at A&E because measles are so contagious). Could as well be something like strep, especially with the spots in the throat, so it would be best to do a quick swab. Hope she is feeling better soon!

Thank you, both of you. I just dont know, shes clearly unwell, so I guess its a waiting game to see if a rash appears, if it does I`ll call the surgery, they are really nice so I`m sure they`ll know what to do. Just hope my 4yos vaccination worked and that DH and I had Measles as children hmm no one to ask!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now