Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Protecting babies from measles before MMR

(20 Posts)
Turnipwurnip Thu 25-Apr-13 14:06:00

My baby is 7 months old, so a few months till she's due her MMR. I have two older school age children who have both had MMR but I am starting to wonder about the baby's risk. Does anyone know where there's any info that would help? Thanks!

Holfin Thu 25-Apr-13 14:34:30

I have the exact same question, it's so worrying. Sorry, that was no help, but you're not alone in wondering.

Turnipwurnip Thu 25-Apr-13 14:37:46

Thanks for replying! I live in London and they were saying there's a significant risk of an outbreak here now as there are some areas with low vaccination rates. Maybe I'll call my GP

I think they can get the vaccination early but due to maternal antibodies the effects wouldnt be long lasting and they would still have to get the 2 scheduled MMR's in the proper course i.e. at 12/13 months and 3y 4m.

Turnipwurnip Thu 25-Apr-13 14:46:32

Yes, I just spoke to the surgery and they said they are offering babies over 6 months an MMR jab and they would still need to have the other two as ilovepowerhoop says. Eeek.

batteryhen Thu 25-Apr-13 14:46:38

They can have it early, but only would be given it if you lived in an outbreak area or were travelling to an area where there is an outbreak. Because the immune system is so immature you would still need to give it again at the normal times i.e at 12/13 months and then again for a pre school booster x

batteryhen Thu 25-Apr-13 14:48:11

I would have my DS vaccinated now if needs be. He is 8 months but our surgery are not offering it yet

If you are breastfeeding and have measles immunity yourself, you will be continuing to boost your baby's immune system and protecting him from measles.

CatherinaJTV Thu 25-Apr-13 15:12:50

If you are breastfeeding and have measles immunity yourself, you will be continuing to boost your baby's immune system and protecting him from measles.

that is, sadly, not correct. No antibodies to measles are passed from mum to baby past the first couple of weeks after birth.

And from the NHS website "Breast milk also contains antibodies, which means that babies who are breastfed have passive immunity for longer. " and "Passive immunity to measles, mumps and rubella usually lasts for about a year, which is why the MMR jab is given just after your baby's first birthday."

Full link here

And a bit more here

We still don't fully understand the role breastmilk plays in supporting the immune system. Research has recently uncovered the role that transmitters within a baby's saliva plays in telling the mother's immune system what antibodies are needed (picked up by sensors around the aureola/nipple area), so everytime a baby suckles the mother's immune system automatically starts making the necessary antibodies and delivers them along with the next feed.

PipkinsPal Thu 25-Apr-13 15:44:41

I live in Swansea and work in a Doctor's surgery. We have been told to advise parents that babies over 6 months can have a MMR jab because of the epidemic but would still need their scheduled ones too ie at 13 months and the pre-school one.

CatherinaJTV Thu 25-Apr-13 15:44:52

not longer than two weeks

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=measles+breastmilk+nigeria

anti-measles IgA had dropped below the protective cut-off within the first 2 weeks of birth

CatherinaJTV Thu 25-Apr-13 15:48:01

and passive immunity to measles does NOT last for a year. Maternal antibodies may interfere that long, but the titer is usually no longer protective after 6 months.

MrsPear Thu 25-Apr-13 15:52:08

I am glad someone has started a thread on this as i am very worried. DS 1 has had both MMR jabs but his pre school has had a measles outbreak. Am i right in thinking he can't catch it? If he can what happens to ds 2 - he is 6 months now but was born 9 weeks early so is very small. DH is not much help as his country has very high vaccination rates so really hasn't heard of these diseases.

From my own NCBI link (first link) "Based on these findings, the researchers recommend that all health workers encourage mothers in Nigeria to breast feed their infants to protect them against measles infection."

MmeThenardier Thu 25-Apr-13 16:11:35

MrsPear I believe that having both MMR vaccines gives 95% protection to the disease. No vaccine is 100%

noblegiraffe Thu 25-Apr-13 16:19:32

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/mmr-vaccine-when-needed.aspx

Less than one in one hundred are still at risk after the second dose.

CatherinaJTV Thu 25-Apr-13 16:27:47

Worldgonecrazy: from the same link (your first, Adu and colleague)

Our result suggests that very little level of measles antibody is passed through the breast milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now