Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have you changed your mind about MMR?

(58 Posts)
coorong Thu 25-Apr-13 13:10:06

I'm interested. We're you worried about MMR 10 years ago but changed your mind? Like Sophie Hearwood on today's guardian who wishes she'd vaccinated her daughter 10 years ago.

[http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/24/wish-my-daughter-vaccinated]

Skygirls Wed 29-May-13 21:09:48

Thanks for that WouldbeHarriet. You don't think 3 doses of measles and rubella is too much, just to get the mumps booster up?

Will talk to GP about blood test to see if he's immune.

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 29-May-13 21:23:07

I don't think your GP will definitely do the test, Sky. You can ask, but I think you usually have to go private.

I think the official NHS advice is that if you've had any singles you still need x 2 mmr. It's such a tough decision, isn't it?

Skygirls Wed 29-May-13 21:30:09

Oh what to do? I hate needles myself, and go all wobbly at having to subject my DCs to it.

Probably best in the end if I do give him another MMR. He should already be immune to the r and me, so probably won't get any side effects anyway.

Far better than actually getting the diseases.

Thanks for your input. smile

monkey36 Fri 31-May-13 13:01:02

@skygirls - Hi Sky, I think I would go for the MMR so that your DS1 has the full complement of mumps. My DS had singles 2xs for Measles and Rubella, and 1 single mumps then there was no more single mumps vaccine. So that he had 2 mumps I had to do the MMR - which means that he has had 3 doses of Measles and Rubella, and 2 doses of Mumps. Apparently this is fine - as the body does not react to the additional doses of Measles and Rubella if there is already immunity. Does anyone have further info on this ?

SimLondon Sun 16-Jun-13 00:20:42

Haven't changed my mind about the mmr at all and glad went for the single vaccine. How many millions of pounds have the British government paid out in vaccine damage compensation in the last few years = several.

stopgap Thu 18-Jul-13 20:54:38

My son is about to turn two, and we will do his first MMR in a couple of months. We did a very delayed schedule due to a severe reaction to rotavirus.

My doctor's office offers the MMR combined with chicken pox (ProQuad) but I will be splitting them up, as my family has a history of seizures, and combining the two apparently doubles the risk of febrile seizures.

specialsubject Wed 21-Aug-13 12:51:34

yes, vaccination against polio has nothing to do with its eradication in most of the world. Except in the countries where the influential tell everyone else that the vaccine is a conspiracy to kill kids. In those places kids suffocate or are paralysed due to polio.

smallpox also of course vanished by magic.

(head in hands)

bumbleymummy Wed 21-Aug-13 15:13:43

Actually special, neither were entirely due to vaccination...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now