Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I wasn't vaccinated against measles as a child in early 70's because of eczema - can anyone tell me why?

(3 Posts)

I remember my mum telling me that she was advised not to have me vaccinated against measles as a child ( I was born at the end of 1969) because I had eczema.

I know I'm immune to it because I had measles when I was 3 years old but recently I have been wondering why my mum would have been given this advice by the GP. I can't ask her because she's dead but I would really like to know!

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 25-Apr-13 10:56:38

I wasnt vaccinated because I had febrile convulsions, I think they used to withhold vaccinations because of the slightest thing back then.

LadyGranulomaFortesque Thu 25-Apr-13 11:11:41

I think they were much more careful when it came to kids with autoimmune disorders back in those days due to the higher chance of adverse reactions.

Back in the 1970's, there was a lot of scientific research conducted which made contraindications more clear. These days, it's mainly obfuscated and individual needs rarely taken into consideration. GP advice given to my mum was much more in-depth about the risks and benefits than it is now, in that these days they say most people can have it and it is completely safe, and if something bad happens to you then it is a coincidence. That was not the case when we were young (on the whole).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now