Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

seems I am not the only one worried about advertising practises

(16 Posts)
CatherinaJTV Tue 23-Apr-13 09:30:19
meditrina Tue 23-Apr-13 09:37:12

The LibDems are wrong to say that MMR is the only safe option. There is nothing wrong with the single measles jab, and its licence lapsed for administrative reasons, not because of concerns over safety or efficacy.

It is the preferred option, and the only one available on NHS. If parents have £400 to spend on single vaccines rather than using the free MMR jab, then that is their choice. The important thing is that children receive a vaccine with a measles component. If parents won't give them MMR, then it is clearly better, for both individual child and the herd, that they are vaccinated by a method parents find acceptable.

I don't think that parents are right to shun MMR. But if they are set on that, I'd rather see children vaccinated singly than being unvaccinated.

CatherinaJTV Tue 23-Apr-13 10:19:05

except if a private GP is stirring the fears to increase their business rather than to just respond to patients' wishes.

PigletJohn Tue 23-Apr-13 13:25:37

There is of course the added risk that the parent, while doing what they think best and filling the pockets of the private clinic, may choose to vaccinate only against the disease which they think is important, and not against diseases which they consider unimportant.

CatherinaJTV Tue 23-Apr-13 13:29:59

^^ That

CatherinaJTV Wed 24-Apr-13 10:39:49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22274206

coorong Wed 24-Apr-13 15:29:49

I agree OP - I believe they are scaremongering - read their section on autism

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 16:52:25

I wonder what they can pull in per day at £110 a pop?

I've got a nice voice and an honest face, could I front it?

CatherinaJTV Wed 24-Apr-13 16:59:56

plus £50 registration costs...

coorong Wed 24-Apr-13 17:11:43

currently being discussed on PM on radio 4

CatherinaJTV Wed 24-Apr-13 17:15:19

Listening now. Someone is very snappy, noooo, it is not financial at all...

HugoBear Wed 24-Apr-13 17:31:22

If someone got one of these private vaccines and then had a bad effect I dont think theyd be able to claim from the government.

Theyd have to sue the company - wouldnt they??

Or maybe the company has something hidden in the small print?

coorong Wed 24-Apr-13 17:36:29

they reckon they've never had a bad reaction

CatherinaJTV Wed 24-Apr-13 17:38:29

in any case - the story is hitting the fan just about now, with the clinic investigated "by the authorities" and the clinic claiming they were "merely responding to parental fears", while fuelling them on their own website with false claims. Talk about digging while in the hole...

coorong Wed 24-Apr-13 17:45:08

In the section on MMR - they quote -
"Dr Walker in the USA has studied 275 autistic children and found in a large percentage of the cases that these children had the live Measles virus living in their gut after vaccination with the triple MMR .You can see more about this on the Daily Mail online."

So their point of reference for parents wanting more information on the MMR is the Daily Mail, not the NHS or your local GP, or even the department of health, but the Daily Mail.

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 17:47:26

Fish wrapping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now