Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shit shit shit. 4 wks pregnant and just discovered not immunised for measles

(5 Posts)
sugarandspite Mon 22-Apr-13 22:09:10

Brilliant. Today I discovered 2 things:
1. Pregnant with DC 2 (cautious hurrah)
2. I in fact was never immunised against measles as a kid.

My father had what was thought to be an autoimmune disease when I was a baby (turned out to be MS) so they recommended not vaxing me.

I remember having mumps and German measles and was later vaxed for rubella but not measles.

GP calling me back tomorrow but everything online says no to vax in pregnancy as its live so risk of transferring to foetus.

DC1 is 2 and up to date on all vaxs including MMR.

We are not in a major outbreak area but there have been some cases. I'm shitting it to be honest. Had a miscarriage 6 months ago, taken a while to get pregnant and anxious enough as it is.

Anyone any experience?

drjohnsonscat Mon 22-Apr-13 22:14:27

Congrats! But are most adults of a certain age not pre immunisation anyway? I don't think I had a measles jab - and have not had measles. I was born in the 60s and I don't think there was a vax programme for measles then - I quizzed my mum and she didn't think so. Could be wrong. But if this is the case then many older mums won't have been vaccinated - there is herd immunity to protect you though I appreciate it's not as widespread as it should be.

sugarandspite Mon 22-Apr-13 22:35:17

Ah looking into it - I was probably offerred it in '94 when it was rolled out to school kids 5-16 but recommended not to have it then based on the earlier misdiagnosis of my father.

So I think a lot of people would have been picked up in that initial roll out but not me.

The surgery said I def have had the rubella vax but not measles.

Thank you for the congratulations!

CatherinaJTV Mon 22-Apr-13 23:16:08

Congrats - try not to worry, with your DC immune, you already have a much reduced risk of measles. Hope your titer tests come back immune, but you cannot get MMR during pregnancy. Sending sticky, healthy baby vibes!

sugarandspite Mon 22-Apr-13 23:34:54

Hi catherina thanks for the well wishes.

I didn't know about the titer tests - it would be great to know for definite whether or not I am immune. Will definitely push for it if GP doesn't suggest it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now