Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Born in mid 60s- likely to be vaccinated for measles?

(20 Posts)
FadedSapphire Mon 22-Apr-13 13:23:06

Hi there,
Born in 66 and not sure if measles vaccinations took place then.
My mother said would have been vaccinated for whatever was going but no idea if covered for measles.
I will check with my doctor but wonder if anyone knows status of us 60s babies.
Thank you for reading.

nagynolonger Mon 22-Apr-13 13:32:01

I think my youngest sister was. She was born in 1965. The rest of us had measles during the winter of 1963.......My mum always said how awful that winter was with four DC so ill one after another.

FadedSapphire Mon 22-Apr-13 13:34:45

Thank you nagynolonger- that is reassuring.
My youngest due for jabs soon so will ask if my notes can be checked to be doubly sure.

scaevola Mon 22-Apr-13 13:34:48

Vax introduced in 1968: not sure what age group offered to. If it was, say, all under 5s then you might have had it.

FadedSapphire Mon 22-Apr-13 13:36:14

Yes - it was the 1968 date that suddenly concerned me!

nagynolonger Mon 22-Apr-13 13:38:57

It was not given to new borns. You will need to check what age it was given.
Maybe my DSis just didn't catch measles.

bigTillyMint Mon 22-Apr-13 13:40:00

I was born in 64 and I think I had measles as a child.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FadedSapphire Mon 22-Apr-13 13:56:59

Mmm- I would have turned 1 in 1967, though would still be one for half of 68...
Best check I guess.

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Mon 22-Apr-13 14:01:23

I was born in 66 too, and was vaccinated. Can't remember how old I was, but I'd guess around 3yo - I can remember having it.

bruffin Mon 22-Apr-13 18:11:22

I was born in 62 and was supposed to have the measles jab in school when i was about 8. I did queue up for it but was told at the last minute that i couldnt have it because my sister had febrile convulsions. I did go on to have measles not long after.

OrlaKiely Mon 22-Apr-13 18:19:36

Forgive me but didn't the young chap who sadly died have the vaccination when he was a child? In which case I'm not sure if it's worth going to a lot of trouble to find out, iyswim.

Sorry, I don't know the ins and outs of all this.

FadedSapphire Mon 22-Apr-13 18:22:26

Poor you Bruffin to get measles. Mind you- at least you know you are immune now!
It does sound like there was a catch up program then for children born earlier in the 60s. I remember being jabbed for something in equivalent of Reception year- no idea what. Have no memory of jabs before then though Mum said took me to docs when told to for jabs.

FadedSapphire Mon 22-Apr-13 18:23:58

Maybe people of a certain age who have not had measles need MMR?
Did we only get vaccinated once in 60s?

Toasttoppers Mon 22-Apr-13 18:28:58

I was not vaccinated as a mid 1960's baby and contracted measles at six and got encephalitis and had fits for a number of months afterwards. I still remember waking up in hospital a few times.

My current GP has all my medical records going back to birth and I have relocated towns three times in my life.

FadedSapphire Mon 22-Apr-13 18:30:29

How awful Toasttoppers.
Will put note to doctors asking if they will email me whether covered or not.

Sam100 Mon 22-Apr-13 18:33:53

I and my siblings were born between 1969 and 1974 and none of us were vaccinated. We all got measles together around 1978, just before Christmas! I can remember sitting in the dark in the daytime with just the twinkly Christmas lights on as I had measles in my eyes and daylight hurt them.

OrlaKiely Mon 22-Apr-13 18:43:28

I'm not sure if I've had it or not. I was diagnosed with it twice, once at 9 and once at 10. Not sure which was which.
My sister was vaccinated (she was born in 1971) but I wasn't and she didn't catch whatever it was from me.

Ds2 had it, apparently, at 10 months according to the Dr but his swabs came back inconclusive, I think one of them was positive - so either it was from antibodies I passed to him, which means I had it, or it means he had it then. He didn't have his MMR.

Ds1 had the mMR, ds3 is too little.

FadedSapphire Mon 22-Apr-13 18:44:29

Goodness- vaccination does sound like it was perhaps hit and miss in mid 60s to early 70s for measles.
Only thing that might indicate I was vaccinated is that [so far] not had measles!

FadedSapphire Thu 25-Apr-13 14:44:36

Update- checked with GP surgery and I was vaccinated against measles in 1970 [born 1966].
Nurse said only one dose of vaccine in those days but at moment children are priority re MMR. She said if more adults start getting measles/ immunity clearly waning in adults that maybe gov will widen jab program.
Lets hope all fizzles out...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now