Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

do I need MMR booster? Not immune to rubella.

(12 Posts)

was not immune to Rubella, so after DD2 was born in May 2011, had MMR at the hospital before being discharged.

I honestly can't remember what the midwife said about a booster, but haven't been contacted, but since the Swansea outbreak am wondering whether I need a booster? confused

Tabitha8 Sat 20-Apr-13 21:33:32

You could ask your doctor about immunity testing / second dose of MMR.

bumbleymummy Sat 20-Apr-13 21:35:13

Had you had the MMR before that? The Wales outbreak is measles not rubella.

PigletJohn Tue 23-Apr-13 13:46:05

If you are not immune to Rubella, what do you think is the problem with receiving MMR?

Tabitha8 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:25:19

I don't think the OP criticised the MMR, PJ.

I think she is asking whether she needs the 2nd dose as that boosts the immunity to all the components.

PigletJohn Tue 23-Apr-13 18:46:06

if only had one MMR, then surely the booster is still appropriate, to give the better confidence in immunity.

It might be a measles epidemic this week, but which will it be next time?

Tabitha8 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:50:58

PJ The OP hasn't criticised the MMR.

PigletJohn Tue 23-Apr-13 18:54:24

And I didn't say she had.

My query is whether adults need a booster as it wasn't clear when I got it after DC3. Maybe boosters are only applicable to children whose immunities are immature?

I wasn't immune to rubella during pregnancy, and couldn't have it when pregnant, so had the MMR before discharge after having DC3. No one suggested anything about a booster.

My GP said he didn't know, but would try and find out. That was last week hmm

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/mmr-vaccine-when-needed.aspx - this says And adults who missed out on MMR as a baby can have both doses within a month of each other later in life on the NHS.

PigletJohn Tue 23-Apr-13 21:19:58

that's very useful, thanks

especially the last paragraph.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now