Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Visit to Swansea by child who has not been vaccinated against Measles

(21 Posts)
sunshinesuzie Sat 20-Apr-13 14:54:20

Hi there, please could you advise me? This is the first time I have posted, so hope I do not make any faux pas....

My niece has booked a week in a cottage down in Mumbles Swansea in 4 weeks' time. She has 2 children, a baby of 7 months and a little boy who is 4. She does not, and has not, vaccinated them (baby might be too young??) against Measles, or had the triple vaccination. Does not believe in it. She is very much into homeopathic stuff. I am very very worried and concerned that the children might catch measles.... and could be very poorly. On a sliding scale, how much pressure (not sure she would listen however.....) should I put on her not to go? Would you??

Thank you very much

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 20-Apr-13 14:59:30

I would be telling her not to go at the moment, partly because of the measles risk and partly because she is loopy if she thinks homeopathic nonsense is any substitute for actual proven medicine. hmm

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 20-Apr-13 15:01:24

I would be putting it in very strenuous terms. A man has died now in this outbreak, and hundreds have been affected.

There is no way on earth that I would be taking an unvaccinated child west of Bristol at the moment, and I would even have pause about my vaccinated ones tbh.

And yes, homeopathy hmm

bigTillyMint Sat 20-Apr-13 15:02:49

DS caught measles at 9? months (before he had MMR) WE have no idea how his friend 9who caught it first) caught it. Luckily DD who was 2 had been vaccinated and didn't get it. He only had it mildly, but was still really unwell - not a pleasant experience.

I would advise her to not go as it must be very easily passed on.

scaevola Sat 20-Apr-13 15:05:08

Do you think that you talking to her will make any difference? She presumably knows that her DC will be at risk. And given that little outbreaks are cropping up in all sorts of places now, they might catch it anywhere.

givemeaclue Sat 20-Apr-13 15:05:27

Not go

SwishSwoshSwoosh Sat 20-Apr-13 15:12:04

I would have one serious chat about it and see if she was receptive at all.

She is your dn - what do her parents think, could you broach it that route?

If you have any unvaccinated children I would give her a wide berth for two weeks on her return.

Branleuse Sat 20-Apr-13 15:36:37

you sure shes not taking them to try and expose them naturally?

coorong Sat 20-Apr-13 15:50:33

Send your friend to this weeks Guardian newspaper

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/15/homeopathy-measles-mp

For the following quote
"
Philip Edmonds, chairman of the Society of Homeopaths said: "The Society does not endorse the use of homeopathic medicines as an alternative to vaccination for the prevention of serious infectious diseases and recommends that members of the public seek the advice of their GP, and/or relevant Department of Health guidelines, concerning vaccination and protection against disease."

sunshinesuzie Sat 20-Apr-13 23:26:35

Wow, thank you so much for your replies and advice. I will be speaking again to her tomorrow, and I will, in no uncertain terms be relaying the info you have given me. Especially the quote from Phillip Edmonds. I am her surrogate Mum, my sister in law is not around. Thank you again.

sunshinesuzie Sun 21-Apr-13 00:05:19

Hi again, Coorong, sorry to be dim, but how did you know what the web address was, for the article you sent me? I would like to be able to send articles like you did for me! Is it difficult???? And, again, please, what do the abbreviations dd or ds etc mean??? I am very new here, and clearly got a lot to learn. Thank you.

SavoyCabbage Sun 21-Apr-13 00:09:18

Dd and ds are dear daughter and dear son. It's a bit weird at first but you get used to it. It saves time!

Are you going to email her the article? There might be a "share" option at the bottom on the article itself.

SavoyCabbage Sun 21-Apr-13 00:10:22

Yes there is a share button. Just to the right of the headline.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 21-Apr-13 00:12:20

Hang on.

She's got a holiday cottage for a week. How much time is she really going to spend with other people from the area?

I'm not underestimating how poorly measles can make you, but I don't like scaremongering.

I might think twice about warm wet environments like the local pool but Mumbles is near fantastic beaches. Is that where she would spend most of her time?

sashh Sun 21-Apr-13 02:57:03

Ask her if she is going to leave her car seats behind and not use seatbelts.

Is she intending to crash? No, well why expose your child to a known health hazard (measles) when they are not protected, but strap them in for a potential hazard?

She's got a holiday cottage for a week. How much time is she really going to spend with other people from the area?

Who cleaned the cottage and changed the bedding? Who were the last people there who may have sneezed? Will she be buying anything from a local shop? Visiting any attractions?

www.babycentre.co.uk/a1014746/measles

I have no idea where the info in the link is originally from, but it says that droplets from someone sneezing who has measles hng around for about 2 hours. And that if you are not immunised and come into contact with it your chances of getting it are 90%.

CatherinaJTV Sun 21-Apr-13 16:44:38

I am with sashh.

sunshinesuzie Sun 21-Apr-13 19:48:50

Thank you again for your advice. I forwarded the article from the guardian, she read it she says, but says that she can match that one with an article that stl recs homeopathic ways . I cannot do any more, I think she is very irresponsible, and I like the analogy of the car seats and crashing! I will use that and then give up!! I dare say that she will not be coming into contact with many children down there, and she generally avoids crowded places, not good for the soul .... But she is partial to a visit to the indoor market in Swansea ..... Hmmmm!!

scaevola Sun 21-Apr-13 19:58:05

How about asking her if she will restrict her DC's movements on return home for the whole incubation period?

specialsubject Sun 21-Apr-13 20:00:17

you can get articles that tell you anything. Does she know that the internet is not regulated? Does she know any science? Does she know where there is no smallpox now?

and how will she feel if one of her kids gets measles, which may result in deafness (as an example) ?

Wandastartup Sun 21-Apr-13 20:06:12

Why not go but get them vaccinated.

scaevola Sun 21-Apr-13 20:09:15

wandastartup they're not her DCs. I think even the most outspoken pro-vax would baulk at kidnapping for jab without parental consent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now