Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Be aware - if you had single jabs for mumps, measles and rubella your chn are not classed as fully vaccinated!!

(42 Posts)
nickyjay2471 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:11:57

That was the message I got from my drs, and confirmed when I contacted Public Health England. They are now saying they only count combined MMR jabs. Mine were vaccinated singly for first lot, then MMR booster. Now being told they need a further booster hmmconfused

CatherinaJTV Germany Fri 19-Apr-13 18:24:05

that sucks and I would like to see the evidence on which they base this...

MrsSalvoMontalbano Fri 19-Apr-13 18:36:00

Utter rubbish! My GP was very happy to write me a pescription for the Measles and Mumps vacs for my DC. She tols me that rubella is not a serious disease unless for the foetus, so no reason for DC to be immunised for that, only adult women before they conceive. When you are planning to conceive, tell the GP, they will arrange a test to see if you are immune - if not you can have the single rubella then. Children do not need a rubella vaccination - if they get the disease tehy may have no symptoms.

CatherinaJTV Germany Fri 19-Apr-13 18:51:01

Children do not need a rubella vaccination - if they get the disease tehy may have no symptoms.

which means they may run around and infect pregnant women whose rubella vaccine did not take... it may even be their own wife/mother (as reported for Japan).

bumbleymummy Fri 19-Apr-13 19:29:42

So we blame the non-immune child rather than the non-immune mother Catherina?

UnscentedStillRomantic Fri 19-Apr-13 19:32:38

Mine had singles then MMR booster. Why don't the singles count?confused

Methe Fri 19-Apr-13 19:33:20

My ds had rubella as a baby. Only symptom was a slight rash oh his head. The worrying this was that as he was premature we were spending a load of time in childrens out patients at out local hospital - we have to walk though maternity to get there.

Of course children should be immunised against rubella.. Those children will be pregnant woman and expectant fathers themselves one day.

VerityClinch Fri 19-Apr-13 19:34:16

I had my rubella vaccination at school. When I fell pregnant with DD, blood tests showed I was not immune - it's relatively common for it to wear off, or so I was told. I had the MMR jab after DD was born (they wouldn't discharge me without it!) and when I fell pregnant with DS 5 months later my bloods were fine and showed my immunity.

Please vaccinate your children - pregnant women are really at risk and it's quite possible to have no immunity as an adult even if you had the jab yourself as a schoolgirl.

nickyjay2471 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:12:15

Not sure about evidence Katherina but they pointed me towards following policies
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1274088429847
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1238565307587

sydlexic Fri 19-Apr-13 20:20:21

My GP said that they don't count single jabs, because it is a matter of policy. They cannot record them if they did not administer them. It does not mean the DC have less protection.

bumbleymummy Fri 19-Apr-13 20:53:48

I don't think they apply that logic in all situations though syd. Eg. If children are coming in from different countries with different vaccine records, those vaccines are still 'counted' even though the NHS didn't give them. Doesn't sound like the truth to me!

CatherinaJTV Germany Fri 19-Apr-13 20:57:24

Bumbley - it means nothing to the disabled child whom we "blame". Vaccinating only women has been tested in various countries, it has failed and has led to thousands of entirely preventable maimed babies.

CatherinaJTV Germany Fri 19-Apr-13 20:59:14

syd - I agree with Bumbley (mark the calendar ;) ). All my kids' vaccines have been "counted" and my DD's "foreign" MMR has even been accepted for volunteering work in the NHS.

bumbleymummy Fri 19-Apr-13 21:02:24

Catherina, maybe all older girls and boys should be tested and vaccinated of required then...

<picks self off floor after Catherina's second post wink >

CatherinaJTV Germany Fri 19-Apr-13 21:04:52

Nickyjay - thank you for those links. I don't find that "singles don't count" info in either of them and one talks of "measles containing vaccine" which can be a measles single. This does absolutely not make sense and I will go after the HPA and PHW and ask explicitly and then get back to you.

AuntieStella Fri 19-Apr-13 21:14:59

I was looking up the stats for what %age of measles cases occurred in the vaccinated. For 2012, the HPA counted both single vaxed and MMR vaxed as one total.

DebJT33 Fri 19-Apr-13 21:36:41

That is a really good point AuntieStella. If anyone sees any information on the breakdown in the current S. Wales outbreak of how many of the cases had MMR, single vax or none at all, can they post the link? Thanks.

CatherinaJTV Germany Fri 19-Apr-13 23:01:31

Public Health Wales has said, they are collecting the numbers and they'll be published soon (my guess is in Eurosurveillance, like the Merseyside numbers last July).

CatherinaJTV Germany Fri 19-Apr-13 23:02:57

Bumbley - maybe all kids should get the MMR. I don't know what is funny about congenital rubella syndrom, btw. The daughter of a colleague of my mum was born with the full blown version, blind, deaf, severe heart malformation, intellectual disability, cerebral palsy - the works. NOT funny.

bumbleymummy Fri 19-Apr-13 23:44:59

Where did I say it was funny? confused

sashh Sun 21-Apr-13 03:41:54

So we blame the non-immune child rather than the non-immune mother Catherina?

The reason the second MMR was introduced after a couple of babies were born blind because their older sibling had rubella.

Now being told they need a further booster

As I said on the other thread, not all single vaccines were effective, due to problems with imports and some unscrupulous people jumping on the band wagon.

The government/NHS do not know how many children are only partially immunised. If they have had MMR x 2 then there is a 95% chance they are immune, with one MMR it's 90% with singles it could be anything.

There is no (or rarely) an NHS record for the singles.

Bumbly from debating with you on here I'm sure you researched the clinic/Dr well.

But the government and the NHS are in a position of not knowing how many people are immune.

They could do a blood test on every child who had singles and if they need a booster give MMR, or just give MMR to everyone who has not had 2 doses. There is no evidence that an extra MMR does any harm other than the usual temperature etc you might get from the first MMR.

bumbleymummy Sun 21-Apr-13 05:57:04

Sassh, the singles are no less effective than the MMR at protecting against measles and most parents have a record showing that they have been vaccinated and/or have had their child's immunity tested to ensure that they are. Adults who were vaccinated as children with the single vaccine that was available back then are considered immune. There is no reason for those vaccinated with singles not to be recognised.

The majority of clinics in the UK offer the same two measles vaccines. I think you have been very wrong to scaremonger on a few threads now and suggest that there is something wrong with those vaccines.

CatherinaJTV Germany Sun 21-Apr-13 09:32:34

Bumbley, did you mean my first post in this thread?

BoundandRebound Sun 21-Apr-13 09:34:02

Yes I knew this

Isn't it absolutely ridiculous

No sepvax count towards vaccination figures

It is disingenuous of the govt. at best

BoundandRebound Sun 21-Apr-13 09:34:46

Then again they also don't ever talk about how vaccinations don't give life long immunity either so maybe another booster wouldn't hurt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now