Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just booked my children in for the MMR jab thanks to Mumsnet . They'll be ok won't they

(11 Posts)
Shinyshoes1 Fri 19-Apr-13 16:48:50

Ive been reading a lot of unbiased opinions about getting the MMR jab. It's down to the power of Mumsnet I have painstakingly read threads and decided to now bite the bullet as it were and get them both immunised .

Also I'm scared of the huge measles outbreak in S. Wales and the first confirmed death of a young man .

The media have been non stop covering this subject lately too

I feel more confident now and realise its for the best as the side effect of measles are far worse than the MMR jab

They'll be ok won't they ? I'm more confident now tgah they'll be fine than I ever was

PearlyWhites Fri 19-Apr-13 16:57:38

Yes they will be fine, really glad you made that choice I know it can be difficult thanks to Dr wakefield. to share my story, My dd3 caught measles in the last outbreak in 2012 just before she was due to be immunised.It was a horrible time ,she spent a week in hospital and had pneumonia as a complication. I was pregnant at the time and had to have urgent blood test to check if I was immune as measles in pregnancy can be more serious than rubella.

I am very pro-immunisation. There is NO decision we take as parents that is completely risk-free but I absolutely believe that taking the MMR has a tiny, tiny risk compared to the known substantial risks of the illnesses for your children's health. I think you're doing the right thing and you're making the same choice I've made for all three of my daughters who were all absolutely fine.

Shinyshoes1 Fri 19-Apr-13 17:39:50

Thanks ladies smile

Do I need to keep them off school for the day or will they be ok ?

They'll be fine. Depending on the child it's better though to either play it down as something not worth thinking twice about OR go for the 'you've been so brave' option. What time is the jab? I wouldn't rush to get them back to school because I suspect you yourself are going to feel quite tense and it wouldn't hurt to take things slow but if it's morning for the jabs I would take them back after lunch. If afternoon I would just go home afterwards. If they are prone to being anxious at all I would really try to make it routine because you do NOT want them to associate medical procedures with anxiety.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 19-Apr-13 18:06:18

I would just make it very routine. I remember having vaccinations at school when I was young.

XBenedict Fri 19-Apr-13 18:07:35

They will be ok, they don't need to take anytime off school. smile

Chubfuddler Fri 19-Apr-13 18:14:55

Well done. When DS was a baby I was so worried about the mmr, it took the combined power of three nurses in my family to talk me into it but now I am so pro immunisation. Wakefield has a lot to answer for, it's unbelievable that he is still bleating even now.

CatherinaJTV Fri 19-Apr-13 18:52:13

Congrats on the decision Shiny - they'll be ok.

5madthings Fri 19-Apr-13 18:53:45

They will be fine, mine had theirs yesterday, due,aged for medical reasons and they are all fine, well my youngest is poorly today but its a pukey big so unrelated to the MMR.

The nurse was lovely and it was all very straightforward smile

5madthings Fri 19-Apr-13 18:54:41

My school age ones were all at school today but I told their teacher they had the MMR yesterday afternoon just in case, but no issues as at all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now