Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

First measles death suspected in Swansea

(145 Posts)
CatherinaJTV Germany Fri 19-Apr-13 10:39:32
CoteDAzur Wed 24-Apr-13 09:40:29

"how do they know it was the MMR?? My DD would come down with different sicknesses every week at that age."

Did she come down with any sicknesses that caused fits, convulsing, and left her unable to talk, walk or stand without help?

bumbleymummy Wed 24-Apr-13 09:54:13

As starlight pointed out - its incredibly difficult to claim compensation - it took this lady nearly 17 years. They don't give payouts willy nilly so they were obviously convinced that it was the MMR. Vaccine damage does happen you know. It can't always be dismissed as coincidence.

HugoBear Wed 24-Apr-13 09:57:44

She got swine flu once. Her temperature rose and she was like a zombie. we took her to the out of hours service and they got us to take her home and monitor her temperature all night and told us that if it went above a certain number (cant remember what) then we should take her to hospital.

10 days?

It took them 16 years for just £90k which I doubt even compensated the family for the ending of the parents careers to care and continue fighting for justice.

To win a legal argument you need EVIDENCE. And for any compensation it would have to be bloody strong and cost a fortune to gather in independent witnesses, assessments and doctors, not to mention a legal team.

Not only that but I can tell you that even without the compensation fight it would have cost that family everything they had just to get support and an education for him.

HugoBear Wed 24-Apr-13 10:13:55

bumblymummy - they dont say that no-one will be damaged that a vaccine. only that 1 in a million are unlucky.

Maybe it took 17 years for this lady to get the compo because not everyone thought the vaccine was to blame? Isnt the full amount more than 90000??

if they gave her less money than the full amount then that must mean that not everyone thought it was the jab. 10 days is a long time for a toddler!

Come over the the SN boards. See for yourself the extent that government bodies will go to in order to a)not set precendets, b)deny parents justice, c)keep jobs and budgets. Families are torn apart simply for asking for a wheelchair.

Then you'll have a teeny bit of understanding why 'because the government say so' is not a good enough argument.

It's another world. You probably wouldn't believe half the things on there and dismiss the posters as unhinged. That is how it can continue.

LadyGranulomaFortesque Wed 24-Apr-13 10:37:31

hugobear acts so naive and disbeleiving on this and other threads that i am starting to wonder if the opposite is true. angry plant maybe?

LadyGranulomaFortesque Wed 24-Apr-13 10:39:04

and for clarity I am being PC when I say 'naive'

'if they gave her less money than the full amount then that must mean that not everyone thought it was the jab. 10 days is a long time for a toddler!'

Do you understand anything about law?

You don't get awarded a graded amount according to the 'likeliness'. You have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that what you say happened did happen. It was either proved or disproved. If there was any doubt at all the award would have been zero.

HugoBear Wed 24-Apr-13 10:54:58

LadyGranula - I'm just a bit confused when some people say 'the vaccine is safe and heres the proof' and theres some people who say 'the vaccine isnt safe but i cant say why'.

and when I ask questions I dont get a proper answer or get told that Im lying about people!

HugoBear Wed 24-Apr-13 10:58:53

no starlight, thats not true - my BIL once had an accident and when he got compo it was a reduced amount because of other factors.

bumbleymummy Wed 24-Apr-13 11:04:30

Saying the vaccine is safe for the majority is not the same as saying that the vaccine safe for everyone. Vaccine damage does happen - you linked to one example yourself so why do you think that people are saying 'I can't say why' wrt why vaccines aren't safe for everyone confused

Do you believe that vaccine damage happens or not? Do you think the government really pay out (a paltry amount when you consider ongoing care costs!) just for the sake of it?

bumbleymummy Wed 24-Apr-13 11:05:32

IIRC the amount is determined by the percentage of disability.

LadyGranulomaFortesque Wed 24-Apr-13 11:05:33

Hugo, haven't we already been through the safe/unsafe thing ad nauseum? And you have been told why it is unsafe for some. Unfortunately, you choose to believe that even those who win 18 year long court battles for vaccine damage are making it up. There is no way to reason with you. You have been given straight answers every time you have asked, which you choose to ignore or completely misunderstand!

HugoBear Wed 24-Apr-13 11:08:26

I dont know why you are getting so cross with me LadyGranula. Especially when accused me of lying about you on another thread when all i did was ask a question that you havent answered. hmm

Blimey, I didn't know I was entering a cross-thread world where people are carrying conversations over from one to the other.

I couldn't possibly keep up with that.

Hugo I think all your questions have been answered and patiently. I don't see anyone cross here.

I'll bail out now. Feel free to post a comment about how I'm really only going because I can't answer a question about weeds or something.

Good luck.

LadyGranulomaFortesque Wed 24-Apr-13 11:13:47

The question was answered in the thread. Like I said on there, read the bloody thread. You have consistently misread or purposely misunderstood or ignored a wide variety of comments. I just called you on. You have blatantly said I have said things i haven't.

And I am getting cross at you because I am naturally impatient with those who basically lie to win an argument they just can't win.

LadyGranulomaFortesque Wed 24-Apr-13 11:14:30

Yes I am joining you starlight, before the big bruise on my forehead gets any larger from banging it against the wall.

For the record though, I am not anti-vaccine. I am anti-ignorance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now