Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Single measles jabs not recognised . What to do for the best ?

(90 Posts)
walesmum Thu 18-Apr-13 16:15:20

This is my first visit and posting to Mumsnet . I was originally just hoping to look and find the help and advice to my question on here already, but it isn't as far as i have read. I am expecting to be shot down in flames sadly as both my children have had single vaccinations , and from what i have read on here so far single vaccinations are a very emotive subject . My Daughter is 19 and i can't begin to describe how terrifying it was to be a parent around the time Andrew Wakefield was in full flow . I decided rather than not vaccinate at all to pay for singles so both my children have had 2 doses of each vaccine. School rang up about my youngest child yesterday saying that they do not recognise single vaccinations and urging me to have him re vaccinated and once again i am struggling with what to do. I feel they are both protected , but reading words on this site such as 'dodgy vaccines ' etc etc i'm more confused than ever. Talk about single jabs being a money spinner for private companies makes me laugh as GP's get paid for every child they jab and we were thrown out of our doctors practice all those years ago because i told my GP i was having single vaccinations , so where lies the difference between the government paying GP's and private practice ? I look forward to an informative debate .

PigletJohn Thu 25-Apr-13 21:34:44
DebJT33 Thu 25-Apr-13 21:07:59

I cannot get the link to paste on here but there is currently a BBC Wales programme - Week In Week out - on the Iplayer which discusses the Swansea outbreak and singles vs MMR. Worth watching.

Rockinhippy Thu 25-Apr-13 21:06:18

That's valid reasons to choose single vaccines over MMR BTW, which there is no evidence to say that affects herd immunity, so therefore no skin off your pro MMR noses that we choose to make an educated choice for OUR DCs & not buy into the pro MMR propaganda

Rockinhippy Thu 25-Apr-13 20:27:27

abhorrent - even - sticky keys

Rockinhippy Thu 25-Apr-13 20:26:54

I hate the scaremongering and constant ptessure by those who oppose MMR

Me too piglet as in most cases it is perfectly safe - but I hate the lack of choice & pressure to take up MMR put on those of us who personally have very valid reasons based on our own DCs & how well we know them - that pressure is equally abhorent

bumbleymummy Thu 25-Apr-13 20:17:34

What pressure is that PJ? What pressure do people who chose not to give their own children the MMR put you under?

narmada Thu 25-Apr-13 20:16:27

mam29 why would you consider varivax (chickenpox vax) safer than MMR?

The virus overload theory has no evidence to back it up. A child meets and deals with thousands of immunological challenges every day.

Snazzynewyear Thu 25-Apr-13 20:10:00

mam29 But this is the problem - herd immunity only works if enough people have the MMR. If everyone thought your way, there would be no herd immunity - and in fact it's now been lost in many areas because of declining take up. So you can't actually rely on it.

PigletJohn me too.

PigletJohn Thu 25-Apr-13 19:59:02

I hate the scaremongering and constant ptessure by those who oppose MMR.

CatherinaJTV Thu 25-Apr-13 19:50:24

Rockin - certainly the Japanese could open everyone's mind about what happens when you don't systematically vaccinate against mumps (you get hundreds of cases of mumps deafness for example www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15917168 , or sons/fathers infecting mums with rubella while they are pregnant www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16984512 ). Entirely preventable with 2xMMR.

BlueSkySunnyDay Thu 25-Apr-13 19:20:14

I had reservations about MMR when the children were young, just because this theory has not been proven right does not mean it is wrong - historically a number of major discoveries in health were initially ridiculed. I do understand about Wakefield's conflict of interest but do wonder if an element of their enthusiasm for MMR is based on cost and convenience - lets not forget these pharmaceutical companies are making a lot of money.

My main issue was taking the risk on innoculating such a small child with for so many illnesses at once.

DC 1 had 1at innoculation as separates (at a reputable clinic) but had unrelated health issues and was never well enough for the 2nd vaccination.

DC 2 had 1st as separates then a MMR booster.

Last year I queried whether I could still get DC1 the booster, they recommended 2 MMR - which he had last year.

They also recommend DC 2 have 1 further dose of MMR, which he had, they said "he has now had the 2 MMR"

mam29 Thu 25-Apr-13 19:14:16

Rockin hippy eldest is 4 she had 3single jabs 6weeks apart at clairon health centre near bath train station-we bristol so not too far.

we dident get booster as research showed 95%kids immune after 1st does and dont need booster.

Then theres herd immunity.

child 2- 3.5 yes we late need to get it done but can only get measles and rubella no mumps

3rd a boy as imworried about his speech im reluctant to vaccinate too soon think eldest was vaccinated at 18months as we did research lot of thourght- makes my hv angry.

couple week ago eldest had chicken poxy younger 2dident get it asked gp if shuld get chicken pox vaccine andhe told me it dident exisit and lectured me on mmr.

Hate the scaremongoring and pressure on those who had singles to get mmr.

Rockinhippy Thu 25-Apr-13 19:02:51

PigletJohn
I'm really concerned about the persistent rumours circulating which propagate wakefields lies long after they have been disproved

You might want to have a chat with the Japanese health minister about that, maybe they can open that mind of yours wink

Mam29 - I don't envy you, thankfully my DD is older & getting the single jabs was easier as it was for your eldest, sounds similar to what we paid too, though DD didn't need the rubella jab as the company we used preferred not to if she was already immune due to already having the disease, she tested positive for antibodies to it, so no need.

We have friends looking into this now though & they have found a company that visits, I think they are called "Vaccine UK" I know they visit our local health clinic & think they are based in Harley st, not sure if they cover country wide, or just south though, will try & remember more & post back.

Ironically turns out we are now getting quizzed via our DCs too & told they need to go & get the MMR - there's now a case of mumps in DDs class - though the DC concerned has apparently had the MMR.

I'd be very wary of going without any jabs though, we've a family member who ended up very ill & brain damaged with measles, he was 6 when he got ill, ended up in hospital & told it was on his brain - ironically if they didn't know the cause, he would be classed as autistic, as it affects him in the same way sad

DoctorAnge Thu 25-Apr-13 18:40:21

DD had one single jab at 2 she is 6 and was recently tested as is still immune against measles.

PigletJohn Thu 25-Apr-13 18:33:43

I'm really concerned about the persistent rumours circulating which propagate wakefields lies long after they have been disproved

mam29 Thu 25-Apr-13 18:30:30

Im really concerened about the mmr propoganda on news newsnight covered it twice in last week did it again last night ,its always on bbc news.

We went down singles route eldest at good clinic in bath cost us £300.

need to get younger 2 done but no single mumps still.

Theres more to this than wakefeild.

My youngest just turned 2 slow on speech.

feel as if we being bullied into it.

I just ignore my gp and hv they keep sending be wise immunise cards.

Not even bupa or nuffeild will offer single jabs have no idea why.

maybe we need a holiday in france.

The caused this epedemic themselves by being so stubborn.

Rockinhippy Thu 25-Apr-13 14:52:11

I know, though I do personally know doctors who disagree with that policy, but obviously can't say so other than amongst friends, they work in a connected area too.

Also we have several Japanese friends now living here, who have more recently had DCs, they were shocked that MMR is still available here, as they say it was banned in Japan in favour of going back to single jabs years ago - again after injury/death, resulting in court cases & compensation - & they'd never heard of Andrew whatshisface either, so can't pin their attitude on him

The official line will only ever by "MMR". No one who works for a public health authority, or in a related area, will officially recommend single jabs. They can't even say "single jabs is better than no jabs". They have to keep repeating "MMR".

Rockinhippy Thu 25-Apr-13 14:33:52

Thank you smile

LadyGranulomaFortesque Thu 25-Apr-13 14:32:09

That's what bullies do, Rockinhippy.

Good post, by the way. And I think that is the crux of the debate, succinctly put.

Rockinhippy Thu 25-Apr-13 14:29:03

My comment wasn't so much about why you were pushing for answers, more that you seemed to be singling out one poster & picking on them for answers

Your reply did make my grin though

I don't know the wider answers, just what's personal to us & I'm certainly not anti MMR, just anti the lack of choice & the presumption that making an informed choice of what's best for our own families is irresponsible & the pressure that's been put on people to comply with the government pushing MMR - over the years I have seen many references & articles where kids have been disabled or died as a result of MMR - proven in court & compensated by governments & drug companies - so not just hearsay or loony left ranting, but proven factual & more worryingly hidden by our government. I've not seen any such cases as regards single jabs though & they were around pre MMR - MMR is just cheaper that's all -

narmada Wed 24-Apr-13 23:02:50

grin grin grin

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 23:01:09

If I want to find out accurate truth, it might involve picking the obfuscation out of somebody's arse to see if there is anything inside, or it it's just noisy flatulence. Not my usual turn of phrase.

My questions Tue 23-Apr-13 13:22:29 were certainly intended to find out some facts, or the absence of them, whichever might be the case. Either can be revealing.

narmada Wed 24-Apr-13 22:38:19

Ah, recognise PJ from property threads. He/she is model poster on there IMHO, informed and informative confused

VivaLeBeaver Wed 24-Apr-13 22:37:16

My GP doesn't recognise dd's single vaccines.

I imagine this has something to do with the fact I believe gp surgeries are paid a bonus if they meet an mmr target.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now