Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Single measles jabs not recognised . What to do for the best ?

(90 Posts)
walesmum Thu 18-Apr-13 16:15:20

This is my first visit and posting to Mumsnet . I was originally just hoping to look and find the help and advice to my question on here already, but it isn't as far as i have read. I am expecting to be shot down in flames sadly as both my children have had single vaccinations , and from what i have read on here so far single vaccinations are a very emotive subject . My Daughter is 19 and i can't begin to describe how terrifying it was to be a parent around the time Andrew Wakefield was in full flow . I decided rather than not vaccinate at all to pay for singles so both my children have had 2 doses of each vaccine. School rang up about my youngest child yesterday saying that they do not recognise single vaccinations and urging me to have him re vaccinated and once again i am struggling with what to do. I feel they are both protected , but reading words on this site such as 'dodgy vaccines ' etc etc i'm more confused than ever. Talk about single jabs being a money spinner for private companies makes me laugh as GP's get paid for every child they jab and we were thrown out of our doctors practice all those years ago because i told my GP i was having single vaccinations , so where lies the difference between the government paying GP's and private practice ? I look forward to an informative debate .

PigletJohn Tue 23-Apr-13 13:22:29

if you are already immune to one or more of the diseases (as you may well be, especially if having booisters) what is the downside in receiving another vaccination against it, Bumbley?

If you are not immune to one or more of the diseases (as you may well not be, be since 100% immunity has never been guaranteed), what is the downside in receiving another vaccination agasinst it, Bumbley?

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 10:35:07

sad

Not something Bumbley wants to talk about.

bumbleymummy Wed 24-Apr-13 11:28:13

PJ, are you in the habit of taking medication that you don't need? Do you take paracetemol/antibiotics for no reason or 'just in case'?

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 11:34:05

I sometimes take a multivitamin and minerals tablet, even if it contains a vitamin which I don't happen to need.

However, if there was a downside to that, I would be interested to know, so that I could take it into consideration. If there was no downside it wouldn't trouble me at all.

I gather from what you say that you know of no downside in either of the two scenarios I described. But if you do, what is it?

bumbleymummy Wed 24-Apr-13 11:45:23

Actually PJ , taking certain vitamins that you don't need/already have enough of isn't a good thing and can actually be harmful in some cases.

You don't take other medications in the same way do you?

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 13:02:54

I gather from what you say that you know of no downside in either of the two scenarios I described. But if you do, what is it?

Rockinhippy Wed 24-Apr-13 13:34:29

Piglet not sure if you are meaning too, but you are coming across as a bit of a nit picking arsehmm

but in answer to your question from my own POV, overloading a DCs immune system with more than absolutely needed makes no real sense - I don't need links to back that up, how my DD reacts to additives & nearly losing her to the first multi jab is enough evidence for me, as is the fact that out our good friends twins GS - the DC who was the "sicklier" of the 2, but hit his mile stones earlier & was apparently the brighter of the 2, regressed after MMR & was later diagnosed as AS.

No debate needed as far as I'm concerned it was the best choice for MY DC & we should ALL have the right to choose smile

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 13:48:07

yep, that's definitely me

Also a person wanting to get to the bottom of the question. If there is a downside, I want to know what it is. If there isn't, time to move on.

I did get the impression from Bumbley that she thought there was a problem, so I wanted to know what is was, if so. Alternatively, not. I can live with either.

SanityClause Wed 24-Apr-13 13:56:45

The really ironic thing is that people assume that the single vaccines are safer, but in fact, because they have been used less extensively, the risks associated with using them are actually less well known than the risks associated with the MMR.

LadyGranulomaFortesque Wed 24-Apr-13 14:10:59

The whole singles/mmr argument is a red herring anyway. My OH was not vaccinated as a baby against measles because at the time there were high reports of death and mental disability from the single measles jab.

John - each to their own. If you are happy to have unnecessary injections that's your look out. Can offer evidence that there are no downsides to your position?

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 14:21:51

If I was going to claim there were downsides to your approach, you would be entitled to ask what they were.

bumbleymummy Wed 24-Apr-13 15:56:21

Sanity, they were in use in the UK before the MMR and are still in use in other countries - they are very tried and tested.

LadyGranuloma, someone else mentioned this scare but I can't find any info about it - all that comes up is MMR related. Do you have any links?

narmada Wed 24-Apr-13 22:20:55

So peopke who ask genuine difficult questions ( yes, I mean PJ) are nit-picking arses??

Science is about nit-picking, for hwaven's sake.

Show me the evidence that says repeat vaccination is dangerous and causes undue immune system stress.

narmada Wed 24-Apr-13 22:21:25

peopoke?????? people.

bumbleymummy Wed 24-Apr-13 22:33:15

You haven't been on enough threads with PJ yet smile

VivaLeBeaver Wed 24-Apr-13 22:37:16

My GP doesn't recognise dd's single vaccines.

I imagine this has something to do with the fact I believe gp surgeries are paid a bonus if they meet an mmr target.

narmada Wed 24-Apr-13 22:38:19

Ah, recognise PJ from property threads. He/she is model poster on there IMHO, informed and informative confused

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 23:01:09

If I want to find out accurate truth, it might involve picking the obfuscation out of somebody's arse to see if there is anything inside, or it it's just noisy flatulence. Not my usual turn of phrase.

My questions Tue 23-Apr-13 13:22:29 were certainly intended to find out some facts, or the absence of them, whichever might be the case. Either can be revealing.

narmada Wed 24-Apr-13 23:02:50

grin grin grin

Rockinhippy Thu 25-Apr-13 14:29:03

My comment wasn't so much about why you were pushing for answers, more that you seemed to be singling out one poster & picking on them for answers

Your reply did make my grin though

I don't know the wider answers, just what's personal to us & I'm certainly not anti MMR, just anti the lack of choice & the presumption that making an informed choice of what's best for our own families is irresponsible & the pressure that's been put on people to comply with the government pushing MMR - over the years I have seen many references & articles where kids have been disabled or died as a result of MMR - proven in court & compensated by governments & drug companies - so not just hearsay or loony left ranting, but proven factual & more worryingly hidden by our government. I've not seen any such cases as regards single jabs though & they were around pre MMR - MMR is just cheaper that's all -

LadyGranulomaFortesque Thu 25-Apr-13 14:32:09

That's what bullies do, Rockinhippy.

Good post, by the way. And I think that is the crux of the debate, succinctly put.

Rockinhippy Thu 25-Apr-13 14:33:52

Thank you smile

The official line will only ever by "MMR". No one who works for a public health authority, or in a related area, will officially recommend single jabs. They can't even say "single jabs is better than no jabs". They have to keep repeating "MMR".

Rockinhippy Thu 25-Apr-13 14:52:11

I know, though I do personally know doctors who disagree with that policy, but obviously can't say so other than amongst friends, they work in a connected area too.

Also we have several Japanese friends now living here, who have more recently had DCs, they were shocked that MMR is still available here, as they say it was banned in Japan in favour of going back to single jabs years ago - again after injury/death, resulting in court cases & compensation - & they'd never heard of Andrew whatshisface either, so can't pin their attitude on him

mam29 Thu 25-Apr-13 18:30:30

Im really concerened about the mmr propoganda on news newsnight covered it twice in last week did it again last night ,its always on bbc news.

We went down singles route eldest at good clinic in bath cost us £300.

need to get younger 2 done but no single mumps still.

Theres more to this than wakefeild.

My youngest just turned 2 slow on speech.

feel as if we being bullied into it.

I just ignore my gp and hv they keep sending be wise immunise cards.

Not even bupa or nuffeild will offer single jabs have no idea why.

maybe we need a holiday in france.

The caused this epedemic themselves by being so stubborn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now