Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MMR DROP IN CLINICS ACROSS WALES TOMORROW - please get yours

(395 Posts)
Mosschops30 Fri 12-Apr-13 21:33:38

You can turn up to various venues
Ystrad Mynach Hospital
Belle Vue Surgery Newport
Children's Centre, CRI
Children's Centre, llandough

Don't worry if you're not sure If your dc has had booster, you can still attend.

Please protect all our children

bumbleymummy Mon 15-Apr-13 14:18:21

Oh don't be so precious mosschops. There is nothing nonsensical about anything I have said. It is perfectly legitimate to talk about alternatives to the MMR that also provide protection against measles. If anything, it is extremely irresponsible to suggest that the single measles vaccine (which many people have opted for ) is in someway dangerous as Sashh did. I don't see Ophelia jumping on her for scaremongering about that.

Most people will opt for the MMR anyway but if people were genuinely concerned about children catching measles rather than worrying about people's opinion of the MMR then they wouldn't care which one was used to protect against measles.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 15-Apr-13 14:22:12

Thanks moss, that's what I though but just wanted to check.

The way I see it, if he's going to have it eventually anyway why not have it now just to be safe.

He's had a stinker of a cold for the last month and is still a bit snotty, no temp and fine in himself but is that a reason not to have it? Or is it only raised temp and proper illness that should be avoided?

Mosschops30 Mon 15-Apr-13 14:26:57

Normally yes, temp or unwell on day would be a no.
Check with your practice nurse or GP though when u take him

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 15-Apr-13 14:46:20

You've been really helpful, thank you.

Think I'll give it a few days for this last bit of stubborn snottiness to subside then I'll take him.

Mosschops30 Mon 15-Apr-13 15:07:26

No worries smile

Tabitha8 Mon 15-Apr-13 17:31:04

If the gov't really believed that measles is a "killer disease" then it would be doing all it could to ensure that we were all protected, and provide a single vaccine.
Therefore, I concluded some years ago that the gov't doesn't subscribe to that particular view of measles.
Sorry to hijack again.

AuntieStella Mon 15-Apr-13 17:35:03

I think the Government took a wrong decision when it allowed license for single jabs to lapse just as controversy was igniting, and before eg The Lancet recanted. But that was 15 years ago and the picture has changed nice then.

ShangriLaLaLa Mon 15-Apr-13 17:41:15

Has anyone heard if the uhb are planning to run drop ins in CRI/Llandough again this weekend? Nothing on the website as yet.

We are supposed to be going away but I'd prefer to get DS's 2nd dose sorted a few months early. Horribly high temp today, so maybe it won't be possible anyway!

Cherriesarered Mon 15-Apr-13 17:42:30

Randallpinkfloyd:

Powys has 40 cases of measles and warning have been sent home with children from school, so the outbreak is moving upwards through Wales so well done in planning to vaccinate!

OceanBeach Mon 15-Apr-13 17:49:09

beachcomber did you realise that every time you posted and tried to derail, all it did was make the thread title pop in active comments, so you commenting has actually made people see it and decide to go get the MMR for their children.
Doh! epic fail

Thanks for helping get children vaccinated beach and protect all children

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 15-Apr-13 17:54:45

Crickey, I didn't know that cherries, that's getting scarily close. I'll ring for a appointment tomorrow I think, prob take a week or so to fit him in anyway so the interminable snot should have finally subsided by then!

Mosschops30 Mon 15-Apr-13 18:44:39

shangrilala are you registered with a GP in cardiff? They will probably be running extra vaccination clinic (we are)
I haven't heard how well attended the weekend drop ins were or if they're running again, but I'll post if they are

ShangriLaLaLa Tue 16-Apr-13 14:02:57

Thanks for this, Mosschops. I'll keep an eye out.

Maddeningly, we were at gp's yesterday for a check-up for something else but DS's temp was far too high for vaccination. Think my best bet is to see if they run at the weekend and go along if he's better.

Of course, I've managed to convince myself that his high temp is an early symptom of measles. Despite the fact that we live in Cardiff which is (for now) only registering the lowest levels of reporting. Also despite the fact that he's had the initial jab.

I had it really badly in childhood and the prospect of either of them having it petrifies me, so I am allowing myself a modicum of obsession.

Mosschops30 Thu 18-Apr-13 18:05:19

shangrilala just been on news that drop in clinics will be run again this weekend.
Will let you know if I find out where

adagio Fri 19-Apr-13 12:33:25

Christ these vaccination threads are a completely minefield.

For the record, I will make my own mind up and do not want to discuss and have the shit scared out of me by hijackers. Its a crappy decision to have to make, lesser of two evils etc.

Now, sensible question - baby aged 4 months, I see the advice seems to be MMR 'early' at 6 months in danger zone; why 6 months? My HV said if I want it earlier than that I can, but I am struggling to find any coherent advice on why the 6 months date has been set. I appreciate if we have it early we will have to repeat at 12 months and 3 years, but can anyone tell me what if anything I should be doing with my 4 month old baby?

AuntieStella Fri 19-Apr-13 12:49:57

It's to do with typical length of time it takes maternal antibodies which transferred during pg to completely clear the system. If maternal antibodies remain, then the baby will not form an adequate immune reponse.

By a year, they can be confident that it will be stimulating the baby's immune system, which is why first routine jab is set when it is. But that's worked out in the assumption of a herd level that means no outbreaks, and is at least in part associated with convenience.

When there is an outbreak, the factors change. It becomes 'best guess' for when there's a good enough chance it might work effectively.

AmandinePoulain Fri 19-Apr-13 13:03:51

" I wonder why it would still be in use if it was considered dangerous and had been shown to cause damage."

Yes Bumbley - we could apply that argument to the MMR too...

The first death that may have measles as a contributing factor in Swansea is currently being investigated. Please, please attend one of these clinics if your child has not had two doses of the MMR.

There has been a suspected death from measles today in Swansea, a young man aged 25.

bumbleymummy Fri 19-Apr-13 13:31:52

Amandine, if you're happy enough with that logic then presumably you don't agree with those questioning the safety of the singles vaccine. Not everyone decides against the MMR based on concerns about autism/ safety etc. You know that, right?

Yes, very sad to hear that a young man has died. Measles is more risky in adulthood and we don't know if he had any underlying conditions so it's probably best not to speculate.

AmandinePoulain Fri 19-Apr-13 13:42:33

I never questioned the safety of the single vaccine confused; but in the UK the MMR is the recommended choice. If the DoH started offering single vaccines now it would look as if there was something wrong with the current schedule and confidence in it would plummet. I don't think that single vaccines are unsafe; but I do think that the MMR is the better option.

bumbleymummy Fri 19-Apr-13 14:18:34

Sashh did though amandine which was why I was asking her.

You do seem to be using a political argument against singles though rather than looking at it from a health point of view. To be blunt, who cares what people think of the MMR as long as children are getting some protection against measles? Some people would probably still opt for the MMR anyway.

slightlysoupstained Fri 19-Apr-13 19:47:01

Whilst I appreciate the bumps, I'd appreciate even more not having to wade through hijacking to get info on current outbreak. To echo an earlier poster, I am not thick, I can make my own mind up so please fuck the fuck off and stop trying to "save" me from myself you patronising fuckers. (She was more polite.)

Apparently my city has lowest uptake of MMR in area so if it spreads here we're fucked. Which is just great.

MikeLitoris Fri 19-Apr-13 20:01:26

Ignoring all the sidetracking going on, I need to take dd1 for it on wednesday as she missed the booster. Should I take 2 yo dd and ask for her to have the booster too?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 19-Apr-13 20:41:11

Presuming that your dd2 had her first vaccine when she was called, there's no reason why you couldn't mike

bumbleymummy Fri 19-Apr-13 20:47:52

Slightly, singles aren't recorded so children may still be protected in your area - just not by MMR. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now