Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR DROP IN CLINICS ACROSS WALES TOMORROW - please get yours

(395 Posts)
Mosschops30 Fri 12-Apr-13 21:33:38

You can turn up to various venues
Ystrad Mynach Hospital
Belle Vue Surgery Newport
Children's Centre, CRI
Children's Centre, llandough

Don't worry if you're not sure If your dc has had booster, you can still attend.

Please protect all our children

Mosschops30 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:24:46

Bump, please keep bumped for welsh mnetters smile

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 08:17:19

Do you know if single measles vaccine is being offered?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 13-Apr-13 08:25:41

Bump again! Our 2 have had both of their MMR's but I'm still concerned as we live very close to the outbreak.

The posters that I have seen have only said MMR, not single vaccine.

Probably best to contact your GP if your dc need vaccinating but can't have the MMR.

Mosschops30 Sat 13-Apr-13 08:32:48

Only MMR

Bump

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 08:43:15

Do you know why? This is measles that we are trying to protect children from, not any other disease.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Apr-13 08:51:57

Because the Nhs hasn't offered single vaccines for years and years. The stance is that mmr is safe and more effective then single vaccines.

I'm not debating this btw, as this really isn't the thread. smile

Just answering the above question and bumping thread.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 13-Apr-13 08:58:06

No idea why. Probably to keep things simple and get numbers through the clinics as efficiently as possible.

While we are dealing with a measles outbreak now, who's to y that mumps and rubella won't become problems too if so many are unvaccinated?

Your GP should be able to help with getting the single vaccine if that is what your dc need - please get it done ASAP though.

Mosschops30 Sat 13-Apr-13 09:57:58

The NHS does not offer measles as a single vaccine.
It has a triple vaccine that is safe for the majority.

If your child can't have the MMR for medical reasons then please see your GP

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 11:06:06

I'm not asking for my dc. Although i am in the position of having a child who cannot have the triple vaccine.

I think it is very poor policy to refuse to provide the single vaccine. I wondered if the government was rethinking their position and prioritising children's health instead of just clinging to a political position.

But it seems not. Which is a disgrace.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 13-Apr-13 11:24:51

Have you asked your GP about the single vaccine for your dc who cannot have the triple vaccine?

If there is a compelling medical reason why they cannot be protected with the MMR, then I would be amazed that an alternative wasn't available.

If it was me in this position, I would be looking at how to get my dc protected asap if I was having problems with getting a single vaccine through the NHS. Protecting my children needs to take priority over government politics.

Mosschops30 Sat 13-Apr-13 11:49:15

Beachcomber I know you are a regular on the vaccination threads

Please don't use this thread to discuss your problems with the MMR.
If there is a medical reason ur dc can't have the MMR then you should be offered an alternative

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 11:53:33

Oh i don't have any problems getting single measles vaccine for my DC. I live in France and the single is easily available and free.

My question was because i wondered if the uk government was rethinking its unwise and stubborn refusal to provide the single on the NHS.

But it seems not. They are still prioritising politics over public health.

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 12:06:00

Mosschops I really think the time has come for a proper public discussion about the government's irresponsible and unjustified policy.

British children should not be pawns in their political manoveuring.

Much of the british public has lost confidence in the triple vaccine and events such as those in Swansea are a result of the government's pigheadedness.

Urging people to queue up to have a vaccine with a poor safety record and which is not neccesary in order to protect from the disease in question is ethically dubious and very irresponsible.

I cant quite believe they are doing this.

Mosschops30 Sat 13-Apr-13 12:12:53

Not on this thread there hasn't

Please go start your own thread

There is no risk to children from the MMR which is why it's given here

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 12:39:53

Come on Mosschops. No-one can categorically state that there is 'no' risk.

I think this thread urging people to queue up for a vaccine with a poor safety record and which is the subject of litigation in several countried and which the people of Swansea do not actually NEED in order to be protected against measles (they need a measles vaccine not a rubella and mumps one) is highly irrresponsible.

I'm sorry if you don't appreciate my comments on this thread but if you are going to urgre people to get an ethically dubious and reactive vaccine i'm afraid people are likely to have an opinion about that.

Mosschops30 Sat 13-Apr-13 12:41:23

I will not comment further cos I find you exhausting

HellesBelles396 Sat 13-Apr-13 13:03:25

beachcomber you will clearly take no notice as your mind appears to be closed to the possibility that the MMR jab is both effective and safe but copy and paste this into your browser. it summarises actual research by actual scientists.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/mmr-scare-doctor-andrew-wakefield-breaks-his-silence-measles-outbreak-in-wales-proves-i-was-right-8570594.html

HellesBelles396 Sat 13-Apr-13 13:08:45

after summarising Andrew Wakefield's nonsense.

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 13:37:11

Thanks Helles, I'm pretty familiar with much of the science. I prefer to read the actual studies themselves.

Sorry to exhaust you Mosschops!

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 13:51:50

Although i did read your link and it was good to see that Professor Finn admitted that British children were exposed to dangerous combined vaccines that caused meningitis.

Good to see that he also doesn't try to deny that numerous children with ASD diagnoses have been awarded damages for reactions to MMR vaccines.

HellesBelles396 Sat 13-Apr-13 14:14:50

Wow! you're very good at taking soundbites that mean the exact opposite of what was actually said.

For the benefit of readers, the take home messages actually were:

private damages are awarded based on a very low threshold of "proof" - correlation rather than causation so the awarding of damages does not constitute evidence of serious damage caused by MMR.

no reputable study has ever shown a link between MMR and autism.

I can point you in the direction of several reputable and peer-reviewed studies that would convince any sensible person but reading your posts - including your most recent one - it is clear that reasoned evidence-based debate is not of interest to you.

I hope no-one reads your nonsense and makes a decision that puts their child - and others - at risk as a result.

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 14:27:17

Oh please. Vaccine court does not hand out massive sums in compensation in hugely controversial issues easily. Cases can take years, involve hundreds of medical documents, several expert witnesses and teams of legal staff.

Trying to pretend that landmark cases are insignificant and have been given away on a judge's whim is risible.

Finn admits to MMR vaccines causing meningitis and he admits that families have won damage cases for their autistic children. The double think of the 'MMR is safe' mantra is starting to sound very shaky indeed.

HellesBelles396 Sat 13-Apr-13 14:40:31

I didn't say lightly - I said there is a lower burden of proof than is required to scientifically show causation.

the side-effects associated with MMR are the same as are associated with the single vaccines and weaker versions of those from actually having the diseases. the facts are that in the UK, with proper storage and administration of vaccines, no child has died from the MMR jab but a child dies every year from measles alone.

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 15:11:28

The side effects aren't the same though.

For example the MMR containing Urabe strain mumps virus caused meningitis in children in unacceptable levels whereas the single vaccine of the same mumps strain didn't.

When chicken pox is added to the MMR adverse events happen at a much higher rate than with the single CP vaccine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now