Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

where can I find good reliable info on chicken pox vaccine?

(6 Posts)
sleeplessbunny Tue 09-Apr-13 16:22:31

DD is 20 months and ideally I would like her vaccinated against chicken pox. I am trying to read up on the vaccine to make sure i'm doing the right thing, but it's hard to find information that I can have 100% confidence in. I an wary ofDr google, and the gp and health visitors have just said they don't know much about it as it's not on the NHS schedule.

In particular I want to know the possible side effects and any contra-indications before making a decision.

And then assuming I do decide to go ahead, how do I go about finding a safe reputable private clinic to administer the vaccine?

Any help, advice, or links to good sources of info would be much appreciated.

bruffin Tue 09-Apr-13 16:36:42
CatherinaJTV Tue 09-Apr-13 22:28:54

can you ask your GP for the vaccine? Ours does it when asked (and paid for). DD had the varicella vaccine at age 4 and when her baby brother got chicken pox a year later I was happy to just have one sick kid smile

SunflowersSmile Wed 10-Apr-13 16:36:24

My youngest had chickenpox vaccine at travel clinic.
[Not had booster yet].

Beachcomber Wed 10-Apr-13 19:55:13

I'm fairly sure that you will be able to have your child vaccinated against chicken pox.

Why would you want to though unless your child was severely immune compromised (in which case CP vaccine could be contra-indicated).

If it helps, I have a child with immune system issues which make us wary of viral childhood illness and she came through chicken pox pretty well. She was very ill (much more unwell than her sister) and we had one scary night where I wondered if we were getting into meningitis territory (which I was taking very seriously) but she was fine.

In our case, she couldn't have had the vaccine anyway.

SimLondon Sun 14-Apr-13 21:25:49

My neighbours had their kids vaccinated against CP, I believe it's on the schedule in the states for all kids? The nhs doesn't do it because of concerns about shingles in the elderly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now