Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I request an early mmr for 4 month old ds because of a visit to the UK?

(7 Posts)
honeytea Sun 07-Apr-13 19:36:38

I livein Sweden and the taky up rate for vaccinations is very high here. I have the option of requesting an early mmr vaccine because we will be visiting the UK in July (DS will be 7 months old.)

Myworries are that I come from a part of the country with very very low vaccine uptake load of hippies

I have had measles when I was a child and ds is ebf (at the moment, I imagine by July he will be having some solids alongside breast milk.)

Am I worrying too much?

MolotovCocktail Sun 07-Apr-13 19:43:01

I think that you need to be guided by your HCP's. I don't think you're worrying too much - there has been an outbreak in Swansea (Wales) recently, so your concern is understandable.

Your DS will have some antibodies from your breast milk now but I don't know if that'll be enough by 7mo (especially as it won't be exclusive breast milk by then).

Is 4mo too early to be vaccinated against measles, even? Babies are usually 13mo before having the MMR vaccine in the UK.

Just talk it through and good luck.

SanityClause Sun 07-Apr-13 19:50:32

TBH, if it's offered to you and it's deemed to be safe at that age, I would.

The number of measles cases has actually slowed in Swansea, but there are still lots of cases, and of course it could easily spread to other parts of the UK.

honeytea Sun 07-Apr-13 19:50:45

The hcp are very wary of travel to the uk, ds was given a hep B vaccine because I am not Swedish, also if you have been to a uk hospital/dr's surgery in the last 2 years they give you a mrsa test before they treat you in a Swedish hospital.

They have mentioned him having it early but I think the choice is up to me.

I think I would have it done when he was 6 months if at all.

I wonder if continuing ebf would help protect him, maybe it would be worth delaying giving him food to give him more protection.

I will be staying in Devon and I have read that there is an outbreak in the north of Devon at the moment, I guess there is a high chance of that spreading to the south of Devon by the summer.

SanityClause Sun 07-Apr-13 19:55:40

EBF will be fine up until 6 months, although, at that age, babies often start to take an interest in solid foods. They don't tend to get many calories and nutrients from the solid foods, though for the next few months. Milk stays the main food.

But, I don't think breast milk is ever a fail safe protection against infectious diseases.

CatherinaJTV Sun 07-Apr-13 20:06:29

just get the MMR, breastmilk does not protect from measles and co.

sashh Mon 08-Apr-13 07:54:26

Get the MMR. He might need another 2 doses in line with the schedule.

As for MRSA - I've been in hospital a couple of times last year and in the UK they now test everyone.

When you have a planned admission they not only test you but give you special body wash and some nose drops a week before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now