Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

16 weeks vaccines,can it cause a severe rash?

(12 Posts)
Samie10 Fri 22-Mar-13 17:42:36

My dd had a eczema within hours of her 8 week jabs, it got to a point (rapidly) where we couldn't touch her without her screaming. So rash and eczema related to vaccinations -yes. She had a tiny, mild milk rash prior to the jabs, within 24 hours she was covered head to foot. Within a week of using a mild steroid cream she was ok again. It was very scary as it happened so quickly, our dermatologist said it was vaccine related.

november12mum Mon 18-Mar-13 16:44:42

Thanks for the reply,there's more than one dr at the gp surgery and they seem to have different opinions sometimes.The thing is the rash has been on for a week now and it's worse not better,even though it does not seem to bother him much.anyway I will look for advice at the hospital where he was born,there must be paediatricians available to help

p.s. tell your GP to read the contraindications leaflet before he gives vaccines. That way he would know that this is a known reaction.

It cleared within a few hours. We know it was the Hib Men C because we opted for individual vaccinations.

We didn't use anything as it didn't appear to be troubling her in any way. I was bothered when we had to give the Hib booster in case it happened again, but it didn't.

november12mum Mon 18-Mar-13 16:29:11

Yes it is the Hib Men C,and the rash does look like pin pricks,loads of them.he eats ok,sleeps ok plays and laughs like the usual.How long did it take to clear on your lo and did u use anything?it's DTa/IPV/HIB,Men C and PCV

november12mum Mon 18-Mar-13 16:26:31

Yes it is the Hib Men C,and the rash does look like pin pricks,loads of them.he eats ok,sleeps ok plays and laughs like the usual.How long did it take to clear on your lo and did u use anything?

Not sure what vaccs you had but the Hib Men C vaccine can cause a harmless rash. My DD had this - came up in little pin prick red spots all over her body, terrifying for me but completely harmless to her.

I was more worried about the fact that the paediatrician we saw had no idea what I was talking about when I asked if it was a possible reaction to the Hib Men C vaccine.

november12mum Mon 18-Mar-13 15:29:35

Thank you

CatherinaJTV Mon 18-Mar-13 15:17:35

Vaccinations stimulate the immune system and while I think it is not likely that they would cause eczema out of nowhere (without a predisposition), it is totally biologically plausible that they could trigger a flare up. Skin issues are SO difficult to properly diagnose, I would want someone with significant experience with children to look at this.

If this is eczema, skin care is really important, but it doesn't have to contain antibiotics/steroids at all times (basically only when the skin is really bad, cracks etc). Again, someone with a lot of experience would be best to advise.

Now, if your boy's skin is bad, try the cream, it should improve the skin really fast. Steroids have to be gradually phased out rather than stopped cold when the skin is better, if the GP has not told you how, ask the pharmacist, also about general skin care (friends of mine swear by physiogel products, other friends had to test several different lotions to find what worked for them).

Good luck - hope the skin is better soon

november12mum Mon 18-Mar-13 14:40:11

I don't know,I tried to discuss it with the dr at the gp today,he kept saying no it's not the vaccine it's eczema,and gave antibiotic mixed with steroid cream and moisturiser .i asked ok but he has it even on his head can I put that cream on his head and he replied no just use dentinox shampoo as it will help.i just felt he dismissed what I was trying to say

CatherinaJTV Mon 18-Mar-13 14:28:37

can they refer you to a proper pediatrician?

november12mum Mon 18-Mar-13 14:20:54

Hi all,my DS had his 16 weeks immunisations about 14 days ago.after 5-6 days from the jabs he started to have a little rash on his face like hives but not really red or anything.after 2 more days it was spreading so I called the dr thinking it might be related to me eating some peanuts as my son is breastfed.dr said no,it is unlikely and that it is from the jabs and I should not worry,give it 2-3 more days and come back if necessary.now my poor boy is literally covered in a red rash,seen a dr at the gp surgery and he gave me eczema treatment,saying it is not the jabs.i really don't know who to believe and where can I get another opinion as I suspect it is the jabs,my son's skin was impeccable before this.Could it be eczema and spreading so fast so badly?
Any thoughts and ideas are much appreciated thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now