Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

single measles jab...indian or french manufacturer?

(11 Posts)
WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 14-Apr-13 20:28:56

If you want sanofi Pasteur vax which we got for dc then Baby Jabs on Wimpole St offer it and will show you the batch labelling and details to prove the source.

We were happy with this vax, which afaik is given to babies at 10 months in France.

Catherina, what are you on about?

bumbleymummy Sun 14-Apr-13 20:27:04

I am commenting on your use of the word 'dodgy' in this sentence:

"I cannot grasp the willingness to go for a dodgy, expensive product over the MMR."

bumbleymummy Sun 14-Apr-13 20:25:54

The Indian company is SII - it manufacturers an egg-free measles vaccine alongside many other pharmaceutical products. I'm not sure why you are automatically classifying them as 'dodgy' unless you're racist?

FYI the SII vaccine is called M-Vac and the Sanofi Pasteur vaccine is called Rouvax. Many private clinics in the UK will offer both. Would you like to clarify why a vaccine that has been in use for decades, manufactured by the same company that manufactures other vaccines used on the NHS schedule and is still used in France is 'dodgy'?

CatherinaJTV Sun 14-Apr-13 20:24:54

My kids are of MMR age, i.e. singles were not an issue when they were little where we lived. Everyone gave the MMR, which was not at all controversial. There was nothing to campaign against or for.

If you need to misunderstand my "dodgy" comment after I explained it in order to "have a laugh" you should maybe step away from the computer and do something else for a while.

Beachcomber Sun 14-Apr-13 19:40:35

S'okay CatherinaJVC. We get it - you think Sanofi Pasteur is dodgy and anything other than MMR vaccines are dodgy.

I hope you campaigned against those dodgy single measles, mumps and rubella vaccines that were given to millions of people before MMR became available.

Thanks for your posts on this thread they have given me a well needed laugh.

CatherinaJTV Sun 14-Apr-13 19:04:35

I am Infanrix hexa all the way anyway, Bumbley ;)

The OP specifically mentioned India and was considering the single measles vaccine, right? I cannot grasp the willingness to go for a dodgy, expensive product over the MMR. Children allergic to egg can have the MMR (potentially under supervision).

As for the "dodgy" - the couple of web sites I looked at didn't even give the brand name of what they are using while happily charging private fees for it. That, in my book, is dodgy.

bumbleymummy Sun 14-Apr-13 16:22:13

Sanofi Pasteur manufacture Pediacel - the 5 in 1 vaccine. Do you warn everyone against that vaccine as well Catherina? smile

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 11:38:34

Have just checked actually and it seems that Sanofi Pasteur is the largest company in the world dedicated to vaccines. The Sanofi Group of which Sanofi Pasteur is a part is a French multinational and the world's fourth largest supplier of pharmaceuticals.

PMSL at 'dodgy supplier'

Anyway i hope you got what you wanted from your health care provider.

Beachcomber Sat 13-Apr-13 11:26:26

Just seen this thread so may be too late with info but the French vaccine is made by Sanofi Pasteur which one of the main pharma companies in Europe.

They are not some 'dodgy supplier' but the French equivalent of Merck. They supply vaccines and medecine to the French NHS.

(I live in France)

As you say the vaccine is cultured on eggs so this has to be taken into account.

I have no info on the Indian version but can only imagine it is manufactured in a similar set up and find any implication that it would be 'dodgy' rather racist frankly.

CatherinaJTV Mon 18-Mar-13 13:18:23

neither, really, why would you choose a dodgy supplier over either MMR (MMR2 or Priorix)?

desprodad Sun 17-Mar-13 20:26:33

we are london based and looking for a clinic that does the single measles jab? there seems to be 2 different strains, one from india and 1 from france. i believe the 1 from india is not cultivated in eggs and hence children that are allergic to eggs can have it. most of the clinics we have looked at, state that they are Quality Care Commissioned but when we go on the QCC website there don't seem to be there, which makes us a bit nervous about there practice. pls. share your experiences. thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now