Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gardasil

(30 Posts)
Orphadeus Fri 15-Mar-13 00:46:22

Lets examine what is in Gardasil.

Table 1: Contents of Each 0.5mL Dose of Gardasil
Material * Amount
HPV Type 6 L1 protein 20 ug
HPV Type 11 L1 protein 40 ug
HPV Type 16 L1 protein 40 ug
HPV Type 18 L1 protein 20 ug
Aluminum hydroxyphosphate sulfate adjuvant 225 ug
Sodium chloride 9.56 mg
Sodium borate 35 ug
L-histidine 0.78 mg
Polysorbate 80 50 ug
Yeast protein <7 ug

www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM251763.pdf

I've previously encountered Polysorbate 80.

To confirm Polysorbate 80 is Tween 80: journals.iucr.org/j/issues/2009/04/00/aj5125/aj5125.pdf

From the study 'Delayed effects of neonatal exposure to Tween 80 on female reproductive organs in rats':

'Neonatal female rats were injected ip (0.1 ml/rat) with Tween 80 in 1, 5 or 10% aqueous solution on days 4-7 after birth. Treatment with Tween 80 accelerated maturation, prolonged the oestrus cycle, and induced persistent vaginal oestrus. The relative weight of the uterus and ovaries was decreased relative to the untreated controls. Squamous cell metaplasia of the epithelial lining of the uterus and cytological changes in the uterus were indicative of chronic oestrogenic stimulation. Ovaries were without corpora lutea, and had degenerative follicles.'

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8473002

That the rats were given more, though the 1% aqueous solution presumably takes us to 100 000th of a gram.

CatherinaJTV Mon 01-Apr-13 20:55:35

160 mg = 160000 µg = 3200x the amount in one Gardasil shot.

Orphadeus Sun 24-Mar-13 00:22:40

Was it Gary Glitter's idea to have L-histidine in Gardasil?

Orphadeus Sun 24-Mar-13 00:21:07

According to Catherina:

'From your link. IV multivits come as 10ml (=10gr) vials containing 1.6% (160mg) of polysorbate 80.'

Can anyone else find that?

Although it is not in the link I gave, some IV multivits come as 10 ml vials containing 1.6% polysorbate 80 in the lower vial: www.rxlist.com/multi-vitamin-concentrate-drug.htm

You need to pay attention to *. The lower vial is 5 ml.

Another contains 1.4% of one of the 5 ml vials: www.rxlist.com/infuvite-adult-pharmacy-bulk-package-drug.htm

Basically each shot contains about 50 times more polysorbate 80 than the combined 3 doses of Gardasil.

What they did in the study www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1081120610610241 appears to have been pin pricks with small amounts by which they deduced it was the polysorbate 80 that had nearly caused death in the patient who had injected multivitamins. As far as I am aware, they did not guaranteed that smaller doses are safe.

CatherinaJTV Mon 18-Mar-13 22:55:08

oh, and Orphadeus - Gardasil is not injected "directly into the blood" and the amounts that are injected i.m. are NOT damaging to fertility. Why do you keep claiming things that are demonstrably wrong?

CatherinaJTV Mon 18-Mar-13 22:52:18

we have to be grateful that you are not preaching the dangers of sodium yet, I guess. Care to tell us how much sodium borate is in a single vial of Gardasil? Could it actually be less than polysorbate 80? About the amount equivalent to a 142000th of a teaspoon full (yes, I have done the maths)?

CatherinaJTV Mon 18-Mar-13 22:46:11

Orphadeus, just because you cannot do the research behind your ludicrous scare mongering you shouldn't get rude. The paper says

in a patient with a medical history of anaphylactic shock due to intravenous administration of a multivitamin product during pregnancy

Verbatim. From your link. IV multivits come as 10ml (=10gr) vials containing 1.6% (160mg) of polysorbate 80. One shot of Gardasil contains 50 microgram of polysorbate 80 (since we are talking anaphylaxis, the one dose amount is important). You do the maths. I am not a liar. Apology (in the shape of your "ok, let's move to the next non issue, since I know I am wrong, but I won't admit it") accepted, honey.

Orphadeus Mon 18-Mar-13 22:29:08

Lets move on to sodium borate. Sodium borate is a synonym of Disodium tetraborate anhydrous. You can confirm that at Page 7: web.archive.org/web/20110725113454/http://echa.europa.eu/doc/candidate_list/svhc_supdoc_disodium_tetraborate_anhydrous_publication.pdf

At page 15 of the same link you will see it is:

Repr.1B: Toxic to reproduction
H360-FD: May damage fertility. May damage the unborn child
GHS08: Health hazard; Dgr: Danger

So there are small amounts of 2 substances in Gardasil which are injected directly into the blood and are known to be damaging to fertility.

Orphadeus Mon 18-Mar-13 22:01:06

3200 x 0.15mg = a little under half a gram. If you are not a bare faced liar, post the relevant passage.

Also -

'METHODS:
Skin prick testing, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, IgE immunoblotting, and flow cytometric detection of basophil activation were performed in controls and in a patient with a medical history of anaphylactic shock due to intravenous administration of a multivitamin product during pregnancy'

In other words the test was not injecting a vitamin product.

CatherinaJTV Mon 18-Mar-13 12:24:39

The patient that paper describes has been administered a vitamin product intravenously that contains 3200x the amount of polysorbate 80 in Gardasil. Again, this doesn't have much to do with the vaccine.

Why is it so important for you to prove that polysorbate 80 in Gardasil is so ultradangerous?

Orphadeus Mon 18-Mar-13 12:21:30

'Objective

To identify polysorbate 80 (generally believed to be an inert vehicle) as an inductor of a severe anaphylactoid reaction.'

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1081120610610241

Congratulations! You invalidated your study - even if it was thorough.

Orphadeus Sun 17-Mar-13 23:19:22

'Polysorbate 80 was identified as the causative agent for the anaphylactoid reaction of nonimmunologic origin in the patient.'

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1081120610610241

'Anaphylactic and anaphylactoid reactions are life-threatening events that result from an overreactive and misdirected immune response to a substance that is viewed by the body as foreign.'

www.emsworld.com/article/10324669/anaphylactic-and-anaphylactoid-reactions

Its not good that you have to pay to read full txt. Doctors are paid high wages to toe the line.

CatherinaJTV Sun 17-Mar-13 17:24:03

Any evidence which suggests polysorbate 80 might be a factor?

Glad you asked: no. So move along, there is nothing to see here.

Orphadeus Sun 17-Mar-13 15:42:39

From the when/be study:

'On intravenous administration in dogs, it had a dose-dependent hypotensive effect'

'The results of the present study indicate that polysorbate 80 can neither be used as a solvent for isolated tissue experiments nor when considered for intravenous administration.'

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4026903

Unfortunately the full txt is not available. What we do know is the girls are getting 0.15 mg from Gardasil. Also, it is in flu vaccine.

'Just consider that the number of women 24 years old and younger who reported trouble conceiving or maintaining a pregnancy has almost doubled.'

Read more: Increase Fertility - Fertility Problems - Fertility Help - Marie Claire

www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/advice/increase-fertility-fertility-problems

There may be various factors. Any evidence which suggests polysorbate 80 might be a factor?

Orphadeus Sun 17-Mar-13 15:30:57

'Dr. Diane Harper says young girls and their parents should receive more complete warnings before receiving the vaccine to prevent cervical cancer. Dr. Harper helped design and carry out the Phase II and Phase III safety and effectiveness studies to get Gardasil approved, and authored many of the published, scholarly papers about it. She has been a paid speaker and consultant to Merck. It's highly unusual for a researcher to publicly criticize a medicine or vaccine she helped get approved.

Dr. Harper joins a number of consumer watchdogs, vaccine safety advocates, and parents who question the vaccine's risk-versus-benefit profile. She says data available for Gardasil shows that it lasts five years; there is no data showing that it remains effective beyond five years.'

www.cbsnews.com/8301-500690_162-5253431.html

Further on in the article:

'Dr. Scott Ratner and his wife, who's also a physician, expressed similar concerns as Dr. Harper in an interview with CBS News last year. One of their teenage daughters became severely ill after her first dose of Gardasil. Dr. Ratner says she'd have been better off getting cervical cancer than the vaccination. "My daughter went from a varsity lacrosse player at Choate to a chronically ill, steroid-dependent patient with autoimmune myofasciitis. I've had to ask myself why I let my eldest of three daughters get an unproven vaccine against a few strains of a nonlethal virus that can be dealt with in more effective ways."'

CatherinaJTV Sat 16-Mar-13 18:26:18

and wow - you found a paper from 1969 on a completely different vaccine (live viral). That is not applicable to Gardasil either.

CatherinaJTV Sat 16-Mar-13 18:24:32

Vaccines are not administered into the bloodstream.

One dose of Gardasil contains 50 microgramms of polysorbate 80. To give a preteen the dose used in those iv tests, you would have to apply over 100000000 microgramms of polysorbate 80 to her. And you call me insane? Sheesh!

Orphadeus Sat 16-Mar-13 14:17:27

'Residual Tween 80 in the solvent-extracted vaccines resulted in marked loss of immunogenic potency'

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC377697/

That it was measles..

Orphadeus Sat 16-Mar-13 14:00:58

As polysorbate 80 weighs very nearly the same as water, my calculation of around 6.67 times more was about correct whether the 1% was by weight or by volume.

The different methods of administration has to be taken into consideration both ways.

You would have to be insane to blindly claim that administrating a smaller amount directly into the blood is safer.

Presumably any 'delayed effects' (check the title of the rats study) gives room for manoeuvre.

CatherinaJTV Sat 16-Mar-13 12:19:40

Orphadeus, what are you talking about?

In the rat study, more than 100000 times the amount than teenage girls are applied into the muscle are given into the body cavity of newborn rats, essentially spritzt right next to the developing reproductive organs. Have a look at them: aqualandpetsplus.com/Animal108.jpg and tell me how that compares to this: us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/gelpi/gelpi1005/gelpi100500208/7050535-adorable-preteen-girl-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

The specific density of polysorbate 80 is 1.06, so a ml weighs 1.06gr, it doesn't change a thing (and I had factored that in to my calculation).

Your second study applied 2.5 ml of pure polysorbate 80 (as far as I can tell) per kg body weight - so your preteen would have to get a couple of shot glasses full of polysorbate 80 into the veins to suffer the same adverse effects. Instead, she'll get an amount that is not even visible into the muscle.

what is your problem?

Orphadeus Sat 16-Mar-13 00:49:16

The rats study was also i.p.

Orphadeus Sat 16-Mar-13 00:44:33

The police may want to examine the when/be issue.

With regard to the first study, it would be helpful to know whether the 1% was by volume or weight.

Catherina, polysorbate 80 is in Gardasil and was not administered intravenously. i.p. is intraperitoneal injection (into body cavity) and p.o. is by mouth. As it is the case that polysorbate 80 should not be considered for intravenous administration, clearly that is relevant.

CatherinaJTV Fri 15-Mar-13 19:52:07

That last article doesn't have any relevance to Gardasil either (they are applying 2.5ml = 2.5gr of pure polysorbate 80 intravenously, sheesh)

CatherinaJTV Fri 15-Mar-13 19:48:25

Orphadeus, I think you are quite confused. That is no wonder, since the literature you are reading is just that. That rat reproductive organ article just has absolutely no relevance to Gardasil.

Orphadeus Fri 15-Mar-13 17:27:01

'The results of the present study indicate that polysorbate 80 can neither be used as a solvent for isolated tissue experiments nor when considered for intravenous administration.'

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4026903

Is that a typographical error? Was 'when' actually 'be'? Its a foreign study, it may be a translation issue. 'When' makes no sense in the context of the sentence wheras 'be' does.

Orphadeus Fri 15-Mar-13 14:29:05

Here's the full txt:

sanevax.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Polysorbate-80-in-rats-Gajdova-et-al1.pdf

It makes clear the lowest dose was damaging. The question as to the weight of the doses still remains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now