Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vaccinations and Diabetes?

(5 Posts)
dopeysheep Sun 10-Mar-13 20:02:58

And not sure about MMR but swine flu/regular flu and whooping cough jabs didn't affect my sugars.

dopeysheep Sun 10-Mar-13 20:01:10

Well, I'm T1 myself and though not a child I know the docs are always super keen for me to have every jab going because of my lowered immune system.
I would def try to speak to a medical expert but if it were my dd I would go ahead and get them done as normal.
Maybe try asking on the Diabetes UK forum too?

CatherinaJTV Sun 10-Mar-13 19:40:40

I second Bruffin - there is nothing like expert input!

On a mummy gut feeling side note: I can totally understand that you don't want to go ahead with two shots while there is so much going on in your DD's life (medically). One option is to have her GP test her titers for M, M and R the next time she needs blood drawn anyway. The first MMR leaves 99 out of 100 kids immune against rubella, about 95/100 immune against measles and 85/100 immune against mumps. She has a good chance of not actually needing the second MMR right now and you could do it once you have a clear routine with the diabetes. On the other hand, should the titers come back low for measles or so, you would know that the shot is really needed right now (if that makes sense).

Sending thoughts and strength...

bruffin Sun 10-Mar-13 14:01:39

You would be better off asking your DDs consultant or a diabetes organisationsuch as diabetes UK.

ariane5 Sat 09-Mar-13 23:17:34

Dd2 (3) is due her pre school vaccinations.

In dec she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.Do her vaccinations need to be delayed or will it be ok to go ahead as planned?

My gp are never willing to discuss things like this in depth, they have a very pro vaccination attitude and I know they will say to do it all on one day, as planned but I am woRried it could overwhelm her or affect blood sugars?

I was considering doing the jabs maybe one at a time spaced out over a few weeks to avoid overloading her or am I wrong is it better to protect her in one go so that she doesn't catch something nasty which could also affect her diabetes?

Does anybody have any experience of this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now