Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Combined vaccine like DTaP without Pertussis?

(6 Posts)
CatherinaJTV Wed 20-Feb-13 21:16:07

yupp - you can get a separate polio (it is called IPV now) shot.

Interestingly, the UK "Green Book" says to continue vaccinating as normal https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&ved=0CEIQFjADOAo&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wp.dh.gov.uk%2Fimmunisation%2Ffiles%2F2012%2F07%2Fchap-24-dh_125944.pdf&ei=nDslUZPiJ4qq4ATuqYD4DQ&usg=AFQjCNEkF7pTlSwKdsK1_NKp7CjSt2unKg however, that contradicts everything I have read in package inserts. Sanofi Pasteur does the DT vaccine, I cannot find a trade name, but your doctor should be able to find it.

OrchidFlakes Wed 20-Feb-13 20:37:11

That's exactly the scream Catherina! The GP said it fell under 'strong immune response' whatever that is meant to mean which is why I paused and sought a second opinion which was private. I just knew he wasn't right.

Is polio available as a separate jab? I'm not desperate for him to have it ASAP as the risk whilst in the UK is low but he's need it before we travel anywhere.

CatherinaJTV Wed 20-Feb-13 20:24:08

There is a DT vaccine, so this should be no problem. Hib, pneumococcal and MenC all come as single vaccines, so that is no problem either. Pertussis is contraindicated if your child screamed (as in high pitched, unusual, inconsolable scream) for longer than 3 hours or so, so your GP should just go ahead and order the DT for you! Good luck!

OrchidFlakes Wed 20-Feb-13 19:12:59

He's only 6 months. I've been stewing, researching, getting second opinions now for 4 months and although I'm terrified of another adverse reaction to a vaccine, we are out socializing more and it's weighing on my mind that he is not protected. We also live in a big city.

Hib, pneumococcal and Men C really scare me. There is time yet for polio and tetanus as his exposure is v limited. Diphtheria I know is rare now in the UK but I do think he ought to be protected. I just don't know what to do for the best.

We have an open dialogue with the GP but he's not being very helpful as he suggests we go ahead with the DTaP but 2 other drs don't agree as the risk from the pertussis vaccine is very real. DS had high pitched screaming for days, within a couple if hours of his first jabs and for 10+ days afterwards.

MrsJamesMartin Wed 20-Feb-13 18:21:51

There is a triple vaccine without pertussis but only given to children and adults over age 12 ( I think) . I don't think there is even a private option either. Single tetanus is not available only combined with diphtheria.

How old is your ds now?

OrchidFlakes Wed 20-Feb-13 18:15:54

Does anyone know if such a vaccine exists?

DS had a bad reaction to his first set of jabs which dr thinks was down to the pertussis but can't give me an alternative apart from separate jabs privately which seems a lot to put him through.

Also, what is the difference in the 'brands' of vaccines? If that is even an option?

Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now