Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

To ask you to share your experiences with measles, mumps and rubella in more recent years?

(61 Posts)
sneezingwakesthebaby Sun 17-Feb-13 10:49:23

Okay, so I know this should probably be somewhere else but I hoped more people would see and respond here.

I've read the vaccination thread on here and a lot of people shared experiences where someone they knew was deaf or blind or permanently disabled from catching one of these diseases. A lot of them seemed to be from a while back and it got me wondering how our bodies, hygiene and medical care copes with these diseases today and if these horrible side effects are still common.

So, would anyone mind sharing any experiences they have had of measles, mumps or rubella within the past ten years or so?

Which age group though? My point was that complications are more common in adults/teens and that vaccination can have the effect of increasing the numbers of teens/adults contracting a disease.

Although as I said as it wasn't notifiable before MMR that's a bit hard to tell.

The HPA gives very low rates of severe complications btw - although depends how you define severe I guess) and says there's no evidence that orchitis causes sterility! (Much to my surprise it had to be said)

bruffin Sun 17-Feb-13 17:26:03

That is child age group and any death rate is a higher complication than the vaccine.

VinegarDrinker Sun 17-Feb-13 17:28:42

My husband had measles in 2007. He was seriously unwell, admitted to hospital for a week, and got secondary hepatitis and pneumonia as a result.

We have autism in the family (a very strong genetic link - father and brother have it).

There is absolutely no way I would consider not giving my children the MMR.

VinegarDrinker Sun 17-Feb-13 17:30:29

Too many negatives - confusing post, sorry! I have had DS vaccinated, didn't occur to either of us for a second not to.

Oh sorry I was reading on my phone and missed that the complications were about measles.
I can't find any UK reported deaths other than those on the HPA website which I linked to earlier although a story on here would seem to contradict that. The HPA link was updated in 2010 but I looked through measles reports after that and couldn't find any.

My mum's measles complication would no doubt be recorded as severe but I don't think she sees it like that - certainly not compared to ds1

PearlyWhites Sun 17-Feb-13 17:49:27

My dd3 had measles last year, she was 13 months and was just about to have her appointment for her mmr. She spent 8 days in hospital and was very poorly she also developed pneumonia as a complication. I was pregnant with ds at the time and panicked about my unborn ds as the mmr was not available when I was as a child. It makes me angry when people do not immunise their children and leave babies like my dd vulnerable to measles.

CatherinaJTV Sun 17-Feb-13 18:40:49

So sorry ErikNorseman sad

CatherinaJTV Sun 17-Feb-13 18:50:33

I have hardly heard of any cases of M, M or R in the past 10 years. There were two cases of rubella in DD's daycare (in Germany) and one of those kids was very unwell (a toddler) and out for 10 days. One boy in DD's high school class here had mumps and measles in two subsequent years, was off for a week each, mostly bored, but annoyed with his mum for not vaccinating him. One of the admin staff (young man in his 20ies) had mumps a couple of years ago and wasn't thrilled, but not very ill either. One of my students had mumps as a pre-teen and had horrible pancreatitis and could never eat butter or anything fatty ever again (as in 20 years later), because that had made him feel so sick. All other cases are longer than 20 years ago (like my brother who had seizures with the measles and got mumps while still recovering from the measles, my grandma who had lost most of her eye sight to measles, her brother in law, who was deaf because of congenital rubella, the daughter of a colleague of my mum, who had full blow congenital rubella, blind, deaf, severe heart defect, cerebral palsy and intellectual disability and so on). Thing is, vaccination is so effective that we rarely hear of these diseases and what complications they cause, but in contemporary disease outbreaks, complications are about as severe and frequent as before vaccination.

Lauren1981Johnson Wed 20-Feb-13 15:35:39

Just been reading through all this as my nearly 4 year old daughter contracted measles last week after being immunised (single jabs x 2). I was totally confused as I thought she wouldn't be able to catch it (from pre-school, had received a letter the previous week) but apparently according to my doc, vaccinations are up to 90% effective.
First of all, I was angry as I thought what was the point in her having the jabs (at a cost of £150 each plus the anger from her for being injected!) but after researching measles, I'm glad she only received a mild strain of it! All she had was conjunctivitus in one eye & the crazy rash. No temperature or complications.
It appears to be an horrendous illness with many complications which I certainly wasn't aware of.
I, for one, am glad I got her vaccinated against measles even though it was unheard of where I live & now seems to be on the increase. Worrying

feadie1 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:21:11

My ds had measles last year. He had raging temperature and a horrible cough. I also had to keep him in the dark while he was ill and dim light when he was recovering.
My gp was useless and didnt have any advice about caring for him. The best info I received was letting his temperature run its natural course rather than using calpol as this helped him to fight off the illness. And keeping him warm once fever had broken to prevent him catching any colds when recovering. I found oatmeal baths and coconut oil were best to soothe his itching and green tea was great for clearing the conjunctivitis. It also took him 3 weeks after to get his strength back so I kept him off school for ages.

feadie1 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:38:24

Sorry my message isnt clear. I meant to say i used nhs guidelines for fever which meant I only used calpol when his temp got too high.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now