Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

To ask you to share your experiences with measles, mumps and rubella in more recent years?

(61 Posts)
sneezingwakesthebaby Sun 17-Feb-13 10:49:23

Okay, so I know this should probably be somewhere else but I hoped more people would see and respond here.

I've read the vaccination thread on here and a lot of people shared experiences where someone they knew was deaf or blind or permanently disabled from catching one of these diseases. A lot of them seemed to be from a while back and it got me wondering how our bodies, hygiene and medical care copes with these diseases today and if these horrible side effects are still common.

So, would anyone mind sharing any experiences they have had of measles, mumps or rubella within the past ten years or so?

Muminwestlondon Sun 17-Feb-13 12:22:52

I think OP wanted to hear about people who had had experienced these diseases recently. Now it has deteriorated into the familiar slanging match about whose kids are more important.

We all care most about our own kids. I did not vaccinate with the MMR because I could not take the risk with the "R" component. They have had the other vaccines. At the end of the day I can do what I want so the rest of the world can fuck off.

ErikNorseman Sun 17-Feb-13 12:24:25

At the end of the day I can do what I want so the rest of the world can fuck off.

Charming!

Ponderingonaquandry Sun 17-Feb-13 12:25:03

Well aren't you just a bucketful of charm.

I wish they'd make it compulsory to be vaccinated and not allow children into schools without proof of vaccination unless medically exempt.

Ponderingonaquandry Sun 17-Feb-13 12:25:56

Oh and my experience of rubella is within the last 10 years which is what the op wanted to hear about

bigbuttons Sun 17-Feb-13 12:28:26

5 of mine had measles last year. They were poorly for few days but no complications and no side effects.

FutTheShuckUp Sun 17-Feb-13 12:29:29

Fair enough Mum you have your experience and its valid, but theres no need to poo poo everyone elses and make out its not as valid. And as for the swearing well, if thats the only way to get your point across you wont be getting many supporters

littleducks Sun 17-Feb-13 12:37:20

Personally I think the MMR is a pretty shit vaccine. I have had it repeatedly, I do not have immunity to mumps or measles. I am immune to rubella which I had as a child. I assumed I was immune as I had been given the vaccine, especially since in pregnancy the test your immunity to rubella only. It was only when I had blood tests to test immunity that it became obvious it hadnt worked for me. The treatment is to have it again hmm and again and then eventually they dont test if you are immune afterwards but assume it worked hmm hmm.

I had the MMR as a child but never got the booster (for some reason they didn't know that it was needed yet).

I have had Mumps once at around 17, hurt like hell and I felt like shit but it went away and was mild. I assume the original vaccine probably made the illness less serious?

Had the booster after that and I have been fine.

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Sun 17-Feb-13 12:45:45

Ds2 had, we think (inconclusive swabs) measles when he was 10 months old.
He was poorly, but not dangerously ill - he stayed at home and had no long term side effects, as far as I know - he did have an ear infection alongside it though, so it wasn't fun for him.

I held off on the MMR as he had a few flags for possible ASD, at the time, and also I heard it could cause problems to give the measles vaccine if the child had had it already.

Not sure how relevant or accurate that is.
Ds1 had the mMR, I'm hopin to give ds2 a single mumps vaccine if/when it becomes available.

How recent do you want? I'm in my late twenties and was at school with a girl who was rendered deaf through measles, so this was, what? Mid eighties

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Sun 17-Feb-13 12:46:42

Also I had measles when I was about 10, and mumps when I was 5 (and gave it to my dad).

No long term effects for either of us afaik.

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Sun 17-Feb-13 12:47:04

and I'm 39 btw.

momb Sun 17-Feb-13 12:47:30

No personal experience because I vaccinated my two but YD lost a school friend two years ago to measles. Very quick; he was feeling poorly at school on Friday, developed rash and light sensitivity Friday night and was gone by Sunday evening even after ICU care. His parents still don't know where he caught it from.

I'm 22 btw.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 17-Feb-13 12:54:23

Hi there
We have moved this to our vaccinations topic
Thanks
MNHQ

My brother had mumps in the last few years and has been left deaf in one ear. His age group didnt get the mmr. Both mine have had the vaccine with no issues.

aufaniae Sun 17-Feb-13 13:57:23

momb that's terribly sad.

tallulah Sun 17-Feb-13 14:44:31

One of mine had rubella and one had mumps. Both had had the MMR tho, so I'm assuming that's why they both got a mild case. They certainly weren't ill with it any more than with a cold.

I remember my brother having mumps when he was about 7 or 8 back in the early 70s. Apart from looking like a hamster he wasn't particularly ill either. Just a bit sore.

(Although I would imagine the earlier notifications numbers to be a bit unreliable?)

sneezingwakesthebaby Sun 17-Feb-13 15:11:41

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. From reading these it sounds like its pot luck in the sense they affect some people more than others and that maybe modern life hasn't changed that from years ago.

Momb that's so scary that it can happen so fast sad so sad. And Erik that's so sad that the disease could do that sad

slug Sun 17-Feb-13 15:29:29

I live in an area with low vaccine uptake. I'm also old enough not to have been vaccinated.

In 2007 I contracted mumps. I was horrendously I'll and hospitalised on 2 occasions during the course of the illness with complications. It took me months to recover completely. I was left exhausted and drained. A year later my neighbour contracted mumps also. He, in his own words, 'walked like a crab' for a week and has low fertility as a result.

OddBoots Sun 17-Feb-13 15:56:16

I know a young man (un-vax) who contracted mumps about 7 years ago, it developed as Mumps Orchitis and sadly they don't think he will ever have a normal sperm count.

This is why I don't understand the point of mumps vaccination. Contract mumps as a child and in a third of cases it's asymptomatic & if you do catch it you don't run the risk of infertility.

Vaccinate the population and you risk increasing the likelihood of teens and adults catching it who are more likely to suffer complications (albeit sterility following mumps being very rare). The number of cases of teens & adults catching mumps has increased recently but it's hard to compare those with pre-MMR days as it wasn't notifiable until MMR was introduced.

bruffin Sun 17-Feb-13 16:50:57

There is plenty of reasons to vaccinated against mumps is not just the headline risk of sterility. Mumps is a known case of deafness, encephitis and subsequently death due to encephitis something like 2 in a 10000. There is also a known risks of type 1 diabetes due to pancreatitis.

These are statistics on the 2011 measles epidemic
"thirty-three countries in the WHO European Region are also experiencing higher number of outbreaks. There have been 6 reported deaths from the virus, 360 cases of severe pneumonia and 12 cases of encephalitis that has not occurred in the U.S. Ten thousand cases have been reported in Europe from January to April, 2011."that is a death rate of 1 in 1666and serious complication rate of 1 in 26

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now