Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

mmr

(10 Posts)
chloejaynemummy Fri 08-Feb-13 14:49:18

Hello lady's my LG had her mind 10 days ago she is one 9th day yesterday had had a tiny rash last night but gone this morning also seems very off het food and clingy even doe she seems much better this afternoon is this all normal? Xxx

It's totally normal to get some sort of reaction to one part of the MMR vaccine around that time. Just be grateful that it's a very mild reaction. All of children have been really quite ill around that point. It soon passes though. It's very scary to think how ill they must get if they actually contract any of the diseases.

I think I checked out the NHS advice that said when they normally react to each part of the vaccine.

CatherinaJTV Germany Sat 09-Feb-13 08:55:53

OP - yes that is all normal. The vaccine virus needs about 9 days to multiply in the body and stimulate the immune system and that is why kids are a bit under the weather at the 9/10 days point. All should be well after the weekend.

josie94 Sat 09-Feb-13 19:51:58

Hi ladies

Could anybody recommend a clinic for separate measles vaccine. Have had a bit of a search on the internet but not sure if any of them are regulated in any way.

Many thanks for your advice

I wouldn't recommend any clinic that does that. The chance of the vaccinations not 'taking' is far higher than the combined jabs so your DC may well not be immune and therefore still at risk. Personally, I think they are preying on vulnerable parents for a lot of money for a product that is known to not work well. In the case of mumps and rubella, I believe that it has a very high failure rate for immunisation. I looked into it a while ago so I can't give links to evidence. Obviously it's your choice though. If you really want to have them done separately, I would insist on blood tests to check that immunity has been achieved.

Incidentally, I had an MMR at the age of 18 because I wasn't immune to rubella despite having all my (MR) jabs as a child. Apparently this is common. I am now immune having had the MMR (just had it checked again for this pregnancy). And I can remember having mumps as a child - wouldn't wish it on anyone! Having the MMR wasn't great but a walk in the park in comparison to having mumps.

josie94 Sun 10-Feb-13 18:31:56

thanks for your advice. it does seem to be a bit of a minefield and am frustrated that NHS are not doing more to help those parents who are still not persuaded that MMR is best option for their child. my son had both mmrs done and is now being diagnosed with asperegers. whereas there is no proof that mmr is linked with autism I personally haven't found any firm evidence to the contrary either. I have spoken to quite a few parents of autistic children who have also noticed changes on their
kids after the second those of mmr (doctors working with autistic children have also confirmed that parents have noticed this)
under the circumstances I should have a choice of how I want to go about mmr vaccines - at the moment it feels like there is no choice which doesn't seem fair

SimLondon Fri 01-Mar-13 00:04:57

We had the single measles vaccine last year, at a private GP's near Oxford street. I don't believe that the chances of its effectiveness are any less than the one in the mmr.

Mumps you don't have to worry about.

CatherinaJTV Germany Fri 01-Mar-13 13:31:11

why do people not need to worry about mumps?

chloejaynemummy Wed 20-Mar-13 13:06:51

Mumps can make baby's very poorly of course u should worry about them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now