Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"Polio vaccine myth" - an article to think about?

(22 Posts)
rosi7 Mon 14-Jan-13 08:15:17
specialsubject Mon 14-Jan-13 13:35:22

yes, I think the English is terrible and the argument totally specious. The guy is an American, so a native English speaker. He should be so ashamed of his writing. 'Polio was a very popular disease in the mid 1990s...'

quote from the 'about me'

'I’ve gone through 3 levels of school, several jobs, have travelled and even studied throughout Canada, the US, and Europe all without never having received a single vaccination.'

all the dangerous disease hotspots, I see..

do not toss this aside lightly. Throw it with great force.

What a load of illiterate bollocks.

gymboywalton Mon 14-Jan-13 13:41:37

that is the biggest load of shite i have evr read

bruffin Mon 14-Jan-13 13:50:54

I was going to say would anyone really take seriously an article that starts "Polio was a popular disease" Then goes on to link to "Whale" and "Natural News". Just about says it allhmm

CatherinaJTV Mon 14-Jan-13 20:39:19

complete hogwash - a waste of electrons.

Orphadeus Fri 22-Feb-13 14:21:26
CatherinaJTV Fri 22-Feb-13 14:30:57

of course it is Orphadeus, it is a typical tactic of germ-denialists (and anti-vaccinationists) to mix some real info with random crap. That doesn't make the random crap any better though..

Orphadeus Sat 23-Feb-13 01:13:24

'During 1962 U.S. Congressional hearings, Dr. Bernard Greenberg, head of the Dept. of Biostatistics for the University of North Carolina School of Public Health, testified..'

I've been looking for that in the online archives.

On another site www.relfe.com/vaccine.html, the source (39) is given as 'Hearings before the Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce, House of Representatives, 87th Congress, Second Session on H.R. 10541, May 1962, p.94.'

We appear to be on to something here:

books.google.co.uk/books?id=vsSiXoVuKTIC&pg=PA1427&lpg=PA1427&dq=H.R.+10541&source=bl&ots=4QlMnzmQwI&sig=YVMEMIRt1MBkU9-c8_n6MdRMOW4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HRMoUZ-mM6mk0AWXnoHYBw&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=H.R.%2010541&f=false

It appears you are correct they are at it.

There are scoundrels on both sides. With regard to the Cervarix thread, some time ago I read a similar type pro vaccine scoundrel source that Gulf War Illness study as having ruled out aluminium hydroxide as a cause. It was as a direct result that I had a look in the Gulf War Illness study.

I reckon the world is a worse place without polio.

CatherinaJTV Sat 23-Feb-13 08:49:06

I reckon the world is a worse place without polio.

Sure, Orphadeus...

Orphadeus Sat 23-Feb-13 12:49:17

And it will get worse with every vaccine.

Orphadeus Sat 23-Feb-13 17:10:36

Its possible that vaccinations have affected the music scene.

Lets face reality - the current crop are nowhere near as good as Ian Dury.

CatherinaJTV Sat 23-Feb-13 17:11:44
Orphadeus Sat 23-Feb-13 20:49:29

Its difficult to tell whether some of the imagined anti vaccine sites are pro vaccine propagandists.

There surely must be an issue as to the reason for the collapse of creativity among the younger. Take Hendrix, The Beatles, The Who and myriad others at the time. A massive talent for today is Paul Weller. Now he is top level. Paul Weller is good. However, if you put him in the 60s he's middle level.

Jesus told me that he will reward anyone who does not get vaccinated with extra creativity.

Orphadeus Sun 24-Feb-13 01:04:44

Debunked: The Polio Vaccine and HIV Link - www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/debunked-polio-vaccine-and-hiv-link

Hooper replies to debunking: www.lrb.co.uk/v25/n07/edward-hooper/aids-and-the-polio-vaccine

For me, Hooper looks the more convincing. He does not deal with the issue that SIV and HIV were allegedly 'genetically distant'. Logically he doesn't need to if SIV is the only candidate (which - correct me if I am wrong - I think is the case).

'Although the World Health Organization maintains that the reuse of syringes without sterilization accounts for only 2.5 percent of new H.I.V. infections in Africa, a 2003 study in The International Journal of S.T.D. and AIDS found that as many as 40 percent of H.I.V. infections in Africa are caused by contaminated needles during medical treatment.'

www.nytimes.com/2007/07/31/opinion/31washington.html?_r=0

Should that not say during medical treatment and vaccination?

CatherinaJTV Sun 24-Feb-13 14:11:38

Orphadeus - you are good...

Orphadeus Mon 25-Feb-13 14:44:06

Thats nice of you.

I have the impression you may be involved in vaccination. I didn't want to upset you. I reckon you should resign. I have sympathy for you, its just that I had examined some vaccines (cervarix and flu) and didn't think I should be quiet.

Can you point out if I have made error: http://orphadeus.angelfire.com/galacticextinction/flu-vaccination.html

I'm actually not a mum hence feel a bit.. about posting here. On the other hand, I specifically came to warn about Cervarix.

Orphadeus Mon 25-Feb-13 18:10:36

'Orphadeus - you are good...'

And catching up with Castro..

Orphadeus Wed 27-Feb-13 18:33:43

I'm only about 90% that on Thursday before last was another. Big bloke, obvious criminal, quiet street off a busy street, and the point is I merely looked round and his world collapsed. Both because I had a rucksack and I didn't necessarily want to scare him, I decided to turn and walk in his general direction while crossing the road at a slight angle. He was very afraid.

Taking the most likely explanation, its a puzzle. At Hyde Park Corner was professional. The hit at Keats Group Practice was very professional. Different source?

Orphadeus Wed 02-Apr-14 23:28:36

There was a partially obscured photo in the Evening Standard today which rang a bell.

Orphadeus Thu 03-Apr-14 00:07:45

The clothes were similar or the same.

Sorry for bringing this thread up.

Orphadeus Thu 03-Apr-14 19:10:49

It was near Warren Street. He was wearing a cavernous brown jacket, tracksuit trousers. I assumed he was a tout from the Mingwei.

Funnily enough, with regard to Mingwei I wrote a post, probably in MySun, it might have been The Telegraph or somewhere, in which I wondered, 'Are the police working for Mickey Adams?'. Quite strange, as Jesus told me in a dream to write that, and I didn't know there was a Michael Adams. Before posting I checked in the family wikipedia page, he wasn't mentioned. I assumed I was referring to a fictional character.

It might not have been him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now