Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Measles vaccine for a 4mo old?

(13 Posts)
AmandinePoulain Fri 19-Apr-13 19:58:22

I started this thread, and I'm breastfeeding. It wasn't even mentioned when I took her. My understanding is that breastfeeding doesn't provide any protection - the immunity that babies has comes from pregnancy. I found a study that found that breastfed babies had no more protection than non breastfed ones; and that natural immunity from the mother provided better protection than that gained from immunisation. I would imagine (I'm not by any means an expert) that if your baby has any natural immunity left at this stage it may interfere with the vaccine, but that breastfeeding will not make any difference.

If you are due to travel to an outbreak area I thought that you were advised to have the vaccine early?

INeedThatForkOff Fri 19-Apr-13 19:51:19

The reason they wait is that maternal immunity (so the residual antibodies in baby's blood that passed through the placenta in the last few weeks of pregnancy) interfere with the immune response

I'm interested in this explanation. If BF babies share (some of?) their mother's antibodies, could this, too, interfere with the immunity effectiveness of MMR?

I have a 6mo DS and have requested early MMR being within 20 miles of an outbreak and having close connections with the area. I was refused unless DS comes into direct contact.

I thought by continuing to BF I could offer him some protection (though I would have had the single vaccine as a child) but this statement seems to suggest that doing so I might impair his immunity if he is offered the jab.

By the way, is it possible for me to pay for an early dose of MMR?

Beachcombergirl Sun 07-Apr-13 19:29:09

Thanks catharinajtv I will contact my gp

CatherinaJTV Sun 07-Apr-13 11:36:24

Yes, it is perfectly reasonable to vaccinate a 10 months old - I would follow up with the second MMR at 15 months or as soon after that as possible.

Beachcombergirl Sun 07-Apr-13 08:39:53

Is it possible to get a little one aged 10 months vaccinated even if we live 30 miles outside of the outbreak Zone? Would a gp surgery be likely to allow this?

AmandinePoulain Wed 27-Mar-13 14:17:55

I thought I'd resurrect this thread with new information...dd2 has just had her 8 month check and my Health Visitor offered me the MMR for her, as given that we are right at the centre of an outbreak the advice has changed and babies over 6 months are being offered the injection. I'm not sure why they have not publicised this fact but I am very grateful! The GP warned me that at this age the immune response might not be fantastic but I'm thinking along the lines that something is better than nothing. I thought I'd come on here and share in case anyone else has concerns. Unfortunately clinic was too busy today so we have to wait another week but this time next week I will be breathing a sigh of relief smile

(As an aside I am shocked by how many local children remain unvaccinated despite all of the recent news coverage shock)

CatherinaJTV Wed 05-Dec-12 20:44:02

The reason they wait is that maternal immunity (so the residual antibodies in baby's blood that passed through the placenta in the last few weeks of pregnancy) interfere with the immune response to MMR much longer than they are protective of measles. There is no increased risk of side effects that I would know of, but a lower chance of desired effect (immunity).

AmandinePoulain Wed 05-Dec-12 13:07:00

Thanks. bedhog I can't find it but that would make sense, there must be a reason why they wait until 12 months, and from what I've read she'd still need the full course.

BedHog Wed 05-Dec-12 12:30:16

I vaguely remember a webchat on here a couple of years ago with a vax expert, and he said something about babies under a year or so not giving a good immune response to the MMR. ie it doesn't work on them, rather than being dangerous. I'm sure it's still on here somewhere if you do a search.

CatherinaJTV Wed 05-Dec-12 12:26:01

In cases of outbreaks, babies of 6 months and older can get the MMR. I don't think it has been tested on younger children. Sorry. It sucks. I hope this one pass you by...

AmandinePoulain Wed 05-Dec-12 12:09:38

Thanks. I'd be happy for her to have it again as per the schedule, I just want her protected now!

(I did think twice about starting this thread, to any anti vacc posters - I don't want a bun fight, what I want is to protect my baby against a deadly disease that is spreading due to reduced levels of herd immunity angry)

Theas18 Wed 05-Dec-12 12:00:22

As far as I know mmr s used in outbreaks for kids less than 12 mo old but only on guidence from public health that there has been significant risk /exposure. If this applied to you , you would have been contacted /had more info than was in that letter. ( this would be sed say for the sibling or daycare nursery type contacts of a confirmed case )

I understand your worry but Your child is low risk.

Mmr given before 12 mo also needs an extra booster I understand. However orthodox advice is that it is perfectly safe. ( the anti fax peeps will be along in a bit).

AmandinePoulain Wed 05-Dec-12 11:49:02

We've just had a letter home from school about several measles cases in the area (I don't think any of them are in our school though), and I'm concerned about my 4mo coming into contact with measles. Her 4yo sister has had the MMR, as have I and dh, but I am desperate to protect her too. She's due her 4 month boosters next week (3 jabs, ouch!) so obviously about to receive a lot in one go, but does anyone have any experience of vaccinating babies under 1 against measles? Will anyone even do it? (She is ebf but from what I've read that is unlikely to be enough to protect her at this age)

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now