Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I have to put in writing that I am taking responsibility for the risk that my baby might die from not vaccination

(315 Posts)

The exact words the nurse spoke!? shock

I'll put something in writing if that is what they want but not that.

Apparently they have a duty to inform the HV of the risks that I am taking and have I heard the recent news oday of all the babies dying?

I'm bloody cross with this nurse tbh.

I could not bring myself to write something so biased as 'I understand my child might die or become disabled from not having a jab' unless I included 'and that he also might die or become disabled from a result of having it', which would probably be worse than just 'decided not to, live with it'.

I was asked to confirm in writing that I didn't want the flu jab once. They said it would allow them to give my allocated dose to someone who wanted it but wasn't entitled to it.

mosschops30 Fri 30-Nov-12 14:24:04

Er what is 100% safe:

Crossing the road
Eating out in restaurants
Taking paracetamol
Having a poo
Vaccinations

None of the above, what a stupid argument! We do things every day that arent 100% safe

Yes Chandon That is what I intend to do. I suppose though I'm a leetle bit narked that I am faced with yet another admin task wrt my children that I believe is wholey unnecessary, and even more narked that I was 'threatened' with the HV *who incidently I long ago told to bog off, but that is another story'.

ha ha, yes I see what you mean. I think your earlier 'for you file:' one is fine. If she gets stroppy after that, then I'd get stroppy back.

Pagwatch Fri 30-Nov-12 14:24:54

I was just asked to confirm that I had made an informed decision. Which I did.

I think the manner of her request suggests she is using an administrative necessity to try nd score a cheap point.

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Fri 30-Nov-12 14:25:28

I suspect she says it as a way of making parents stop and think about their decision. The OP may have thought it through carefully but not everyone who doesn't turn up for the jabs has.

MissCellania Fri 30-Nov-12 14:26:10

You could write that, and also that the risk of death or disablement from the diseases is a higher chance, and the link is unquestionable. Thats not biased, thats fact.

Ah you told her to bog off. I argree with Pagwatch, she's point scoring. Just provide the 'for your file' one and if it isn't enough then start writing long tomes.

That's bollocks mrsbugs.

I never had my flu jab and wasn't offered it either, but then I move PCT twice throughout my pregnancy.

Well, that's true at a population level MissCellania but isn't actually necessarily true at an individual level, but hey ho.

If you are in England you are under no such obligation to write any letter to your GP. A lot of GPs and practice nurses seem to be under the mistaken opinion that you do have to. Ignore, or just ask them if they can't get simple facts straight how are you supposed to trust them for bigger things?

GalaxyDisaster Fri 30-Nov-12 14:32:10

Don't want to get into the 'vaccinate or not vaccinate' debate. But personally I did, and just to QueenofFarking certainly in my area they do ask you to put it in writing that you are vaccinating, in a way. You have to sign a form with a list of the vaccinations, what they protect against, the common side effects, etc.

That isn't reasons for vaccinating, but actually Starlight wasn't asked to give reasons for not vaccinating either. Not that I agree with the way she was asked, but I think the principle is reasonable - I think it is important for staff to be able to check who has made an informed decision not to vaccinate and who might have just missed the reminder/have personal circumstances which make completing the programme less likely. I suppose they could have a 'I don't want to vaccinate' form instead though, but there are probably so many permutations of what people do and don't want it might be easier to get them to write a note.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 30-Nov-12 14:33:58

I think I would have found it difficult to not tell her to 'fuck off' tbh.

What an utterly stupid and shitty thing for her to say. It makes no sense on so many levels.

I would not provide anything in writing apart from my feelings on why they should go forth and multiply.

Sorry for being ranty, but I feel really quite cross for you.

missymoomoomee Fri 30-Nov-12 14:34:21

You have to sign a consent form if your child has the vaccinations that says you are aware of the possible risks, this is just the same. If you say the note she asked you to write is biased then so is the consent form. I assume they just want proof that you are aware of the dangers.

DystopianReality Fri 30-Nov-12 14:35:19

bellarose Of course you can advixe someone to do something that isn't 100% safe. If the benefit outweighs the risk and there are proven benefits to the poulation then you can advise that.

What IS 100% safe, I'd like to know.

I am a practice nurse and the reason why written consent was asked for was for the HPA and local H/A. Otherwise both the surgery and the healthcare recipients will get reminders and nags.

I don't agree with the alarmist approach the nurse used, but you have to agree that an unimmunised infant is more vulnerbale to preventable contagious disease than an immunised one.

We ask for written 'de-consent' to opt out of the cervical screening programme too.

Badvocsanta Fri 30-Nov-12 14:35:33

You do not have to do this star.
Ignore.

starlight I wasn't pregnant then, I am entitled to it due to being asthmatic. It may be bollocks but it was what the nurse told me.

Now I am pregnant I made sure I got the jab, as I am less willing to gamble with my baby's health than when it was just me!

Bad I have had consequences before from 'disagreeing with professional opinion', and whilst then, like now, I was in the right, which was ultimately proven, the journey was horrendous.

Which is why I will write the note.

Funily enough, I quite like the postal reminders, because it keeps the topic in my mind and continually reviewed. I 'actively' ignore the reminders iyswim, and have to revisit why I am making the decisions I am.

I've got 2 DC and have lived in 4 different PCTs (or whatever they are called), and have never been asked to sign or write anything to that effect.

Maybe in some areas they ask you to, but you don't have to. Its not a legal requirement.

I don't think anyone wants to gamble with their baby's health mrsbugs

I don't mind revisiting the question but 'be wise immunise' coming through my door just about did me in (how much was someone paid to come up with that patronising bit of tosh)

I guess 3 children is a high percentage that affects GP's stats.

GalaxyDisaster Fri 30-Nov-12 14:42:53

Queen - Sorry, bit confused, do you mean you have vaccinated and haven't been asked to sign a form, or that you haven't and have never been asked?

I know Queen and believe me I'm pretty robust when coming to things being done properly and not allowing bollocks to be spouted, but refusing to write this letter, however much my right not to, - it is being a bit contrary isn't it!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now