Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Getting a chicken pox vaccination in Warwickshire?

(10 Posts)
ArthurPewty Fri 28-Dec-12 10:03:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SukieV Wed 05-Dec-12 10:35:17

@timetosmile - we are certainly planning on following this up. Feel the surgery have washed there hands of this, especially given they have backup from the PCT, however a letter is a good idea.

@worldgonecrazy - thanks for the recommendation.

Dr. John Oakley in Four Oaks is on the West Midlands border. It's fairly easy to get to via the motorway network. It's the clinic we've used for our individual vaccines, and the clinic does offer the chickenpox vaccine too.

timetosmile Wed 28-Nov-12 08:08:11

Sukie can you get a copy of the consultant letter saying that, and present it to your GP, and if that doesn't work, wrote to your Practice manager documenting your concerns and GPs approach...sadly kicking up a justified fuss means one of the GPs or nurses there will proabably do it for you in the end.

CatherinaJTV Tue 27-Nov-12 18:19:22

we use GP Plus in Edinburgh for our flu shots and the kids' dTaP/IPV boosters - I find private GPs generally appear a bit dodgy because they sell all the stuff that the NHS doesn't pay (like MMR singles and homeopathy), but they have been fab (just a bit far away).

SukieV Tue 27-Nov-12 16:08:36

Thanks for the replies smile

Their cousin is actually quite unwell, she is being seen by a NHS Consultant elsewhere. The Consultant has advised any child who comes into contact with my niece should be immunised or have had chicken pox.

The GP won't even do it privately nor is willing to even advise where could!

Been down the google route already and have a couple of numbers. However would be nice to get a personal recommendation. To be honest the places I've turned up have really poor looking websites which doesn't make me feel confident...

timetosmile Tue 27-Nov-12 14:18:07

Your GP may well do it as a private prescription for about £90

CatherinaJTV Tue 27-Nov-12 14:15:40

If you google "private GP Warwickshire" you should get someone in your area who will be able to get you the chicken pox vaccination. Travel clinics might do it too.

sashh Tue 27-Nov-12 05:45:41

That's really bad. The doctor seeing the child who is unwell might be able to help, try phoning the secretary.

Er....... just gueessing here, Birmingham Children's hospital? Maybe their PALS could help.

Soory, I'm fairly useless today.

SukieV Mon 26-Nov-12 16:50:39

Can anywhere recommend a clinic which is able to give the chicken pox vaccine in the Warwickshire / Midlands area? Turned up a few clinics on google but a recommendation would be good.

The kids need to have it due to their cousin being quite unwell and unable to come into contact with anyone who might even carry it. The local doctors have been very very unhelpful, it has even been to the Warwickshire PCT who have also said no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now