Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can social services force a child to be vaccinated?

(35 Posts)

Bit of a theoretical question, based on a real life situation that I don't really know enough about for this to be anything but hypothetical, but was wondering about the legallity as well as the morals.

A friend of a friend has had her young children removed and put into temporary care and one is a baby. They have not had all their vaccinations (possibly due to neglect rather than empowered decision). Social services (apparently) are saying that part of taking care of the child is making sure their vaccinations are up to date.

Can social services do this against the parents wishes?

It sounds dreadful starlight. So rather than providing them with support for their eldest, they're enforcing vaccination of the youngest.

I hope the family are getting support from someone. Actually it would be worth contacting The Challenging Behaviour Foundation They might not be able to help with the vaccination issue, but should with the rest.

lisad123 Sun 18-Nov-12 19:31:59

Sadly not that new sad

Yes we had a SS 'encounter' once. Can't say they were 'involved' though. In fact they were tripping over themselves not to be in case they had to part with any money I presume.

Thank you saintly for the link. Don't know them that well at all but can pass into my friend who does.

Wonder if the whole vaccination thing is a deflection technique by SS to keep the spotlight off themselves!?

SamSmalaidh Sun 18-Nov-12 20:28:34

I expect that now that they know the children aren't vaccinated, they are just insisting it is done - same as if they realised they hadn't had dental treatment or didn't have appropriate winter coats.

Injecting a child with a drug that can have harmful side effects is hardly the same thing as giving them a winter coat is it?

SamSmalaidh Sun 18-Nov-12 21:13:26

I mean it is seen as a basic of adequate parenting.

lisad123 Sun 18-Nov-12 21:15:44

SS will see it as a basic need, unless they have done the research and can explain why. It's sounds like your friends family life was chaos and they were failing to meet basic needs such as basic health care, and keeping kids safe. sad

ArthurPewty Mon 03-Dec-12 11:23:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArthurPewty Mon 03-Dec-12 11:23:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now